Isakale
477 IQ
I know extremely little about electric instruments, so please forgive my ignorance... :]

I was just wondering... Does the length of the 1/4 by 1/4 chord from a guitar to an amp increase latency depending on how long it is?

I bought two 10 foot chords, but it turns out I really only need 5 foot ones. Is it worth sending these one back and ordering 2 5 foot chords, or does it not make a difference? (Or such an extremely small different that it is not noticeable?)

Thanks!!!
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Electric signals move really, really fast. To give you an idea of how fast it is, the transit speed in coaxial cables is usually measured relative to the speed of light. The change in latency caused by a longer cable won't be noticeable.
AcousticMetal99
A walking oxymoron
342 IQ
Pretty sure electrical signals move at about 60 - 80mph.
Point is still though, if they are good cables, then they shouldn't cause much latency anyway.
It'll be a few milliseconds you've added perhaps, certainly nothing more, but it really shouldn't matter much.
roaraudio
289 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
Electric signals move really, really fast. To give you an idea of how fast it is, the transit speed in coaxial cables is usually measured relative to the speed of light. The change in latency caused by a longer cable won't be noticeable.

^This.

Side note You only really start to get latency when and the chain is like this
guitar > amp > air > microphone > ADC > DAW > (NOW RETURNING) > DAC > headphones. And it's mostly due to the digital-analog/analog-digital conversion thats going on.
Cavalcade
razor sharp
1,942 IQ
Quote by roaraudio
guitar > amp > air > microphone

The latency for this whole part of the signal chain will barely even exist, unless your mic is on the other side of a football field from the amp.

American or European football.
chatterbox272
1,237 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade

What about Aussie Rules?
roaraudio
289 IQ
Quote by Cavalcade
The latency for this whole part of the signal chain will barely even exist, unless your mic is on the other side of a football field from the amp.

Not debating that but I was just referring to the whole signal flow in general.
DisarmGoliath
Disarms Goliaths
1,391 IQ
Quote by AcousticMetal99
Pretty sure electrical signals move at about 60 - 80mph.
Point is still though, if they are good cables, then they shouldn't cause much latency anyway.
It'll be a few milliseconds you've added perhaps, certainly nothing more, but it really shouldn't matter much.

what?!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Quote by DisarmGoliath
what?!

So that's why my computer takes so long to start up!

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??