Hey... recently I've been playing with my amp Vox AD50, and realized that most of the amp models with gain sound too artificial (obviously). And I was wondering if a pedal's distortion would sound better (using a clean tone).
Quote by schecter ftw
I have an old AD30VT (the first run of them), and I find that I can get pretty decent/good tones using the UK 80's model and a tube screamer. You might want to give that a shot.

thanks for the feed back!
Quote by boyad
Hey... recently I've been playing with my amp Vox AD50, and realized that most of the amp models with gain sound too artificial (obviously). And I was wondering if a pedal's distortion would sound better (using a clean tone).

Nope. Of course, depending on the pedal, and the fact that all tone is subjective, adding a pedal for your distortion is basically just adding another channel to your amp, probably another channel you'd be dissatisfied with.

Typically it wouldn't, but what sound are you going for?
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Quote by bassmastamitch
Nope. Of course, depending on the pedal, and the fact that all tone is subjective, adding a pedal for your distortion is basically just adding another channel to your amp, probably another channel you'd be dissatisfied with.

Typically it wouldn't, but what sound are you going for?

recently heard some sounds from the marshall guvmor which I liked pretty much.
The thing with distortion pedals is that the amp that they're going into matters just as much as the quality of the distortion itself. Likelihood is that what you heard of the Guv'nor was running into a different amp than what you have, so you can't expect the same results.
I'm Mitch, I like making guitar and bass gear reviews/comparisons on YouTube
YouTube

I play bass in an instrumental band called Beyond the Woods
Facebook
Twitter
Don't do it and save yourself some money. I've had the same amp, and it's definitely not good as a pedal platform. I mean, it's not really even meant to be, with all the built in effects and amp models. Maybe try using the JCM800 model for rhythm and California for lead? It was the best combination I could find. I've also had the mids all the way up, and never had the gain over 75%.
Quote by ivan987
Don't do it and save yourself some money. I've had the same amp, and it's definitely not good as a pedal platform. I mean, it's not really even meant to be, with all the built in effects and amp models. Maybe try using the JCM800 model for rhythm and California for lead? It was the best combination I could find. I've also had the mids all the way up, and never had the gain over 75%.

yeah... I've been thinking of buying a tube amp instead. I think Im gonna go for the Fender Super Champ XD.
Meh.

Running distortion pedals in front of modelling amps doesn't tend to satisfy.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
Quote by boyad
yeah... I've been thinking of buying a tube amp instead. I think Im gonna go for the Fender Super Champ XD.

What styles?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by ragingkitty
What styles?

indie rock, classic rock, blus rock, and some hard rock. Will it fit thpse styles? I know its good for rock and blues.
I chose super champ xd because its in my price range, and has some gpod reviews.
Last edited by boyad at Apr 10, 2013,
Well I think you'd benefit from having the Blues Jr with something like Greenback or an Alnico Blue speaker.

Alternatively, the Orange OR15 would be great for your styles.

Also check out the Hayden Mofo range.

H&K Tubemeister too.

What budget? You should fill out the details for an amp recommendation. Forget about overdriving your modelling amp.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
That's basically calling for an AC30 man :p
Depends on what hard rock you're playing though, may need a crunchbox or something in the front.
Quote by greeny23
i shake the walls of my bedroom. with mah dick.
Quote by Eppicurt
Quote by NakedInTheRain
hey, be nice to the hipster.
I hear they use false bypass switches.

It's, like, so ironic.
yeah I would buy a Vox AC15, but its more expensive than the super champ xd. My price range is unto $400. (I dont live in the USA and everyrhing is more expensive).
I dont need something too big... I've been looking at the champion 600 and the vox ac4tv (but I think the champion doesnt overdrive).
Last edited by boyad at Apr 11, 2013,
looking at reviews and videos on youtube Im almost sure Im going with the vox ac4tv (the only thing left for.me to do is to try it myself on the store).
Doesn't your VOX have the power control on the rear panel? (I believe from the 30W on up it does). You should try Various combinations of using all the different vol/gain controls to vary where the distortion is being generated. I mean there's 4 controls for it!, Gain, Volume, Master Volume and Power control. You should be able to get virtually any level of distortion and not necessarily front end.
Moving on.....
Quote by KenG
Doesn't your VOX have the power control on the rear panel? (I believe from the 30W on up it does). You should try Various combinations of using all the different vol/gain controls to vary where the distortion is being generated. I mean there's 4 controls for it!, Gain, Volume, Master Volume and Power control. You should be able to get virtually any level of distortion and not necessarily front end.

I did vary heach knob to try and found different sounds, but from my opinion the distortion from.the modeling amps sound too "artificial".
How long have you had it? Maybe the 12AX7 needs changing. I'm only asking in an effort to see if it's something simple before you spend the money on a new amp. Of course if what you really want is a new amp, it's your decision.
Moving on.....
I believe that the right time to change from modelling amp to a tube amp is when you start perceiving the modeller's sound as artificial. That's when I sold mine Valvetronix and never looked back.
Quote by ivan987
I believe that the right time to change from modelling amp to a tube amp is when you start perceiving the modeller's sound as artificial. That's when I sold mine Valvetronix and never looked back.

There's definitely different levels of modelling out there. I've been playing more than 3 decades and always used tube amps. The Valvetronix amps sound OK but probably more believable at bedroom levels than when cranked and this is what they were really made for I think.
I spent most the last XMas holidays auditioning prospective tubes amps as my old Peavey is tired. I tried the Egnator Tweeker, Blackstar HT20, JetCity, Vox AC15C1, Ampeg & the VR series Voxs as well. These because I've already looked at Mesa stuff and Fender and Marshall. They all sound great but basically have their own characteristic sound (ie a Marshall doesn't sound like Fender, A Vox doesn't sound like any of their competiton etc).
My tastes these days demand more than one good distorted and one good clean sound, so for me a high end modeller was the goal. Unfortunately, the Fractal Audio FXII, Kemper and Eleven Rack were out of my budget. I ended up with a compromise, picking Line 6's top of line HD modelling. My advice don't judge nmodelling based on $200 modelling amps. If used correctly, especially the newer ones with FRFR amps and speakers then get you 99% of the way there on many amps. Not to mention the better ones have classy effects that can be placed anywhere in the signal chain.
Moving on.....