I ordered a 6505+ 112 Combo off the bay a few weeks ago, the music store that sent it to me did a terrible job packaging it up, I noticed the tubes "rattle" when you shake them... that is, they sound like a light bulb that has burnt out.

Regardless, the amp seemed to work fine... sounded good. I've put about a two hours total into playing it.

Today I was playing through it, volume around 2 and noticed all of a sudden the volume dropped... big time.

Looked in the back and the second 6L6 tube was NUKE RED!!!

Quickly I turned things off and let it cool. The nuked tube has been popped for about 15 minutes now as it's cooling lol.

Anyways, would a damaged tube blow out like that? Or should I suspect it's a problem with the amp itself, such as a resister or cap going bad?

The amp is supposed to be brand new, but like I said, it got beat around a bit during shipping.

Are power tubes that fragile?

Thanks!
If it was new the tubes are normally under a 30 day warranty. Sometimes 60 or 90
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
It could be either causing the problem. Tubes can redplate before they die or the biasing circuitry may be borked causing it to redplate. Without knowing how to diagnose a circuit (ie measure biasing voltage) there's no way to tell. Send it back. If you replace the tubes and it's the biasing circuit you are likely to blow up your new tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Thanks for the insight... I might send it back, but it's gonna cost a fortune, the 6505+ 112 combo is HUGE and weighs 65lbs or so. :/

As an experiment, I swapped the position of the two 6L6 tubes tonight, and played through for about an hour... no problems at all.

Hmm... does that make any sense? Moving their position shouldn't fix the problem. I'm so confused.
Quote by 6505fiz
Thanks for the insight... I might send it back, but it's gonna cost a fortune, the 6505+ 112 combo is HUGE and weighs 65lbs or so. :/

As an experiment, I swapped the position of the two 6L6 tubes tonight, and played through for about an hour... no problems at all.

Hmm... does that make any sense? Moving their position shouldn't fix the problem. I'm so confused.

Get the tubes warrantied or replace them.

Sounds like just the one tube.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.