I play pop punk (Mayday parade, all time low, etc...) and some harder stuff (breaking benjamin, saosin, etc...)

The C1 custom has an seymour duncan SH-11 in the bridge, and a '59 SH-1N in the neck.

The EC1000 has seymour duncan Alnico II pro pickups (not the slash).

The Gibson SG standard has dual ’57 Classic™ humbucking pickups

What would suit me better? I am leaning more towards the schecter because I could easily swap out magnets in the bridge pickup and essentially turn it into a SH-5 if I wanted. But I think the EC1000 looks cooler. Then again, Jack from all time low played an sg standard.

What would suit my pop punk style better do you guys think?
Last edited by kingneptune117 at Apr 6, 2013,
Can you play both?
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Can you play both?

Nope. Im in college and the only guitar shop around me sells antique guitars really.

Also, I updated the thread. The Gibson SG standard is also in the running.
They're all good guitars. Although i would buy the Gibson because i don't like Schecters and LTD's that much.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
How would the stock pickups that the sg comes with suit the genre that I play? In your opinion of course.
my pick would be the EC. I own one, and I definitely find it to be the most versatile rock guitar in my arsenal (it's got EMG's- only reason I don't take it to every gig). I've played a couple with the alnico 2's, and they were really good. However, I would get it with the JB/59 set. They're better suited for heavier music while still giving excellent overall performance.

theres something about the schecter that I don't like. I've played a few of them, and I just never really got a great vibe. They're fine guitars, and they sound good, but I wasn't crazy about them. personal issue.

I don't think the SG would be an idea choice. SG's are great guitars, but if you're sticking to heavier music and punk, there are better choices.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
Quote by krehzeekid
I don't think the SG would be an idea choice. SG's are great guitars, but if you're sticking to heavier music and punk, there are better choices.

You serious? There are plenty of SG artists that play heavier music. Tony Iommi and Angus young come to mind, but there are a ton of others. And all of the guitars have alnico 2 pickups anyway, so it's not like one of them will be better for heavy distortion.
Amp matters way more when it comes to tone so rather than basing your decision on pickups, I'd base it on overall quality, playability and fit finish instead. You can always change the pickups down the road if you don't like them.

That being said, for 799$ if you don't care about resale value you should definitely check out Carvin.

They custom make your own guitar to your own specs, starting from a very reasonable 799$. Even then they all come with standard sperzel locking tuners. Last but not least, all of their guitars are made in america if that makes any difference to you.
Last edited by archenemyfan at Apr 6, 2013,
The SG is the best investment, and I really like the Classic 57s.

The A2Ps are probably the worst choice. Why not go for an EC-1000 with a JB?

The C11/'59 is a good setup, but... eh. It's a Schecter.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I play left handed, therefor I am unable to obtain an EC with the JB. And I know for a fact all time low played SG's for a very long time. However, I am unsure if they used the stock pickups.
The stock pickups in SG's are great anyway.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by W4RP1G
You serious? There are plenty of SG artists that play heavier music. Tony Iommi and Angus young come to mind, but there are a ton of others. And all of the guitars have alnico 2 pickups anyway, so it's not like one of them will be better for heavy distortion.

yes I'm serious. just because you can play heavy music on a particular guitar, doesn't necessarily make it the right guitar. definitely, for some players, an SG is the perfect guitar. however, I think that most players would find either the LTD or the schecter to be better than the SG in this instance.
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things...
Quote by krehzeekid
yes I'm serious. just because you can play heavy music on a particular guitar, doesn't necessarily make it the right guitar. definitely, for some players, an SG is the perfect guitar. however, I think that most players would find either the LTD or the schecter to be better than the SG in this instance.
This post completely contradicts itself.
How can you say that the SG isn't the right guitar for TS, when you yourself, say that you can't determine what would be right for TS? Are you actually going to give a reason why the SG isn't appropriate, that isn't just your opinion? The SG is objectively a great guitar.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 6, 2013,
Quote by krehzeekid

I know what you're saying, but I don't think pop punk or hard rock require some sort of beastly guitar made for those genres. If the TS came here looking for a guitar to play Dream Theater or something, I probably would have told him to look at more options. I believe the SG can hang with the LTD and Schecter in this case.
I would say the SG or the C-1.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
SG all the way. Don't like schecters, the EC1000 is a pretty good guitar. I like the feel of the SG and the standard could definitely get the sound you are after. Then again, I have not seen it mentioned, unless I missed it, what amp your playing through. That might be the biggest factor.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, SG standard, MIA Standard Strat, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Orange TV50H 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
Quote by krehzeekid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDolpjwkPOY

The guitarist from underoath also plays an SG. This and breaking benjamin is about as hard of rock as i'll ever play.

And also, I just love the look of the SG.

Since the SG is a thinner and lighter guitar then guitars like a les paul, can I still get a big fat crunchy tone out of it?
I love my EC 1000, had it for a few years and will never get rid of it. But they are both good guitars.