Hey guys. So I recently changed all my tubes in my Peavey Classic 30 and noticed a nice difference in the feel and response of my amp, as well as adding a bit more "warmth" to the tone. Overall, it just sounds great listening to it in person. So, naturally, I want to record my newly tubed amp. I grab my SM57, place it slighty off center, and jam out. I turn back to my recording, and this was not the amp I was hearing. It was bland and harsh. When I kicked on my TS9, it didn't sound like what it sounded like when I was playing it a few minutes before.

My question is, why is there such a huge difference between hearing my amp in person and hearing a recording of it? Is the recording my amp's "true sound"?
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Mic placement will make the biggest difference in your recorded tone vs what you hear. Play around with a bunch of different spots on the speaker.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Operator error.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You've got to mess around with the mic placement. There is no specific rule, just what sounds best. The best way to figure out the "sweet spot" is to play something while somebody else moves the mic around while you listen to it over the monitor. Once you find "that spot", leave the mic along and mark off the spot with some colored tape or something.

A good place to start would be to have the mic off axis to the cone and about 3-6 inches away from the cab. Generally the farther away the mic, the "bigger" the sound (to an extent).
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
You've got to mess around with the mic placement. There is no specific rule, just what sounds best. The best way to figure out the "sweet spot" is to play something while somebody else moves the mic around while you listen to it over the monitor. Once you find "that spot", leave the mic along and mark off the spot with some colored tape or something.

A good place to start would be to have the mic off axis to the cone and about 3-6 inches away from the cab. Generally the farther away the mic, the "bigger" the sound (to an extent).

Yea that was the problem. Live, in front of the amp, the sound was big and open, but in the recording it was dull and squished. I figured it was most probably user error as well with the mic placement and stuff. I'll try out different mic placements. And in order to mark it, would putting tape on the grill affect the sound or grill appearance in any way?

Another question just popped into my head. Sometimes, when I crank my amp, if I start playing high notes like on the 1st string 7th fret +, my amp has this really high frequency note that just bugs the heck out of me. It's like it just digs into my ears. What can I do to fix that? So far, I've turned my treble down, which sort of relieves the problem, but not completely. On top of that, my amp's lost some band cutting definition.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Sounds like some harsh high frequencies or fizz, an eq pedal helps. Short of that there's not that much you can do about it. Almost all amps have fizz to a certain degree.

In terms of cutting through, more mids and/or an TS based boost pedal will do the trick.
Call me Brent
Quote by m33sta.

People would leave guitars for me in a box on the doorstep with a note "Please look after little Johnie, we just cant cope anymore, all he wants to do is hook up with Marshalls, We thought he would be a fender boy.

Welcome to recording. Use less gain and try again.

This is an excellent video for hearing different mic angles and placements. I know it says it's for metal, but it applies to all guitar sounds:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyDnoHSFsnc
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Also remember that an SM57 will accentuate certain frequencies. Thats why we have arule over in the recording forum (which is where this thread should be) that you can't recommend it simply because its the 'industry standard' (another banned phrase).

To record the true sound of your amp, an LDC will probably work better, although placement and the room you're in will have an effect.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud