I pretty much sold my entire stage rig a few years ago and put the guitar down for a bit while I was in college. Now that I'm done I'm trying to rebuild it but it's a little more difficult when you have to pay rent electric and water bills lol.

Basically what's the cheapest effects pedals I can get that are pretty good?

Are Behringer effects decent?

Am I gonna have to go the digitech/boss route
Behringer is shit.

Used Boss and Hardwire are good.

MFX are a really good value.

What do you need?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Everyone seems to love Joyos
RG351DX - Bridge Dragonfire Screamer, Mid+Neck Fender Hot Noiseless
Peavey Valveking 112 - Eminence GB128
AMT E1 > Joyo AC Tone > Dan'o EQ > Shimverb > Digidelay
Some Danelectro pedals are decent, for cheap.

What is your current gear, budget, location, gig or home?
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Joyo are good.

Behringer aren't though. They have a reputation for being unreliable for a reason.

Another make you might come across is Belcat (I've also seen them branded Rocktron). Avoid them like the plague. Their 'true bypass' pedals add a hideous clipping noise to your sound even when they aren't switched on.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
What effects do you need? What other gear do you have at the moment? Budget?
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
yeh Joyo are great value, behringer not so much... Electro-harmonix nano range is also not too bad!
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Get decent pedal's and go second-hand. In my experience going cheap always causes regret later on.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
Some behringer pedals are awful but you can find some great behringer pedals as well.
I have a Behringer OD that's pretty much horrible and one delay pedal that's one of the best sounding pedals I own (ok, maybe because it's a clone of another delay pedal but yet...Joyo does the same thing and everyone blows Joyo).
behringer effects are fine, or at least the ones I've owned and played were, I know people who have not liked some of their pedals so I won't vouch for all of them. A lot of EHX pedals are pretty cheap considering their quality so I'd look into them too.
yeah, joyo is good
some mooer's are quite good as well.
have you considered going the multi fx route if you need a lot of pedals? You could probably pick up a used hd300/gt10 or 8 for a couple of 100, depending on where u are.
also, look a t some rack fx if possible. Cath often recommends the alesis quadreverb, with good reason. You can get them pretty cheap.
Most importantly, what amp?
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

what do you mean by "decent"?

As has been said, things like joyos can sound pretty good (they're often clones of more expensive pedals), but the reliability can be iffy. likewise bosses are pretty reliable but some of them don't sound that great (plenty of them do, though) and some people don't like the buffers in them.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
on a budget? go used through guitar center or something and find dependable brands. BOSS is a good go to and an industry standard. usable, nothing fancy, but very stage worthy. lots of people pull off good tone out of em, some dont.

ive phone order used BOSS pedals off GC and i call it in, ask a live person to test it, and over the phone tell him to work all the knobs to test if tehy are smooth. i get him to promise to play it before it ships (they are supposed to do that anyways....and i hope they keep their word).

so far they have all come alright. only issue was 1 had a slight switch problem which was remedied by putting a sticky pad on the inside of the pedal under the switch to add a bit more pressure / take up space. now it works perfect. not really an issue.

bought a guyatone compressor. those things are little rocks. i would trust em used.

bought a BBE delay that crapped out after 2 hours. will not be buying many more BBE pedals used. or new for that matter.

DO NOT buy behringer. dont. consider it buring your money.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Back when Behringer released their blatent copy pedals costing almost nothing my bands other guitarist on a budget bought the Delay and Noise gate, they were pretty decent, certaintly did the job and while they werent as well built and maybe didn't have the finer nuances of my pedals they definitely were not bad pedals and have lasted the rigours of touring.

The Danelectro cheapies are pretty good though nothing better than the cheap behringers to be honest, I have a Surf N Turf compressor, it sounds great but it's noisy and quite flimsy. The best cheap pedal around is probably the Digitech Bad Monkey overdrive, it's a great sounding pedal, really well built too.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
Last edited by Bigbazz at Apr 7, 2013,
I play a few Joyo pedals regularly, 2 delays a phaser and a chorus. They all sound good and I haveyet to have any reliability issues after about a year. I've played on quite a few behringers that sounded OK but didn't deal well with my size 13 stomping on them. I have an EH nano lbp and find it a bit muddy and go with the boosta grande instead.
Quote by CodChick

Seriously, I'm not a fan of iphones and guitars mixing.
Thanks guys and I'm sorry for taking so long to get back, I've been at church pretty much all day.

I mainly need a distortion, overdrive, reverb, chorus, and it's not really an effect but I need a pedal tuner as well

With the distortion reverb and tuner being the most important.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.
I dunno Im not gonna be able to buy all at once. But I would like to keep it fairly low. I know I won't be able to set aside more than 50 a week for it and I pretty much just want to finish before Christmas lol

Another thing, my main musical choice is blues, and indie music

My current equipment is a fender mim strat, through a zoom fire 15 (I know it's not great but it's doing me until I can get a fender super champ
Does the Super Champ have FX, or is it just an amp modeler? Make sure not to get anything that will become redundant.

On that note, I and others will advice you to wait until you get an amp first. You can't really accurately assess what you need until you have the rest of your rig.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I'm gonna pick up the amp first, as it stands I'm more trying to figure out how much I'm going to have to pay and make a list of all of them.

I know the amp has several effects and they sounded good when I tested it. But I really need some form of foot control for stage use.
Quote by rander7917
Thanks guys and I'm sorry for taking so long to get back, I've been at church pretty much all day.

I mainly need a distortion, overdrive, reverb, chorus, and it's not really an effect but I need a pedal tuner as well

With the distortion reverb and tuner being the most important.

Thanks for the advice guys I appreciate it.

Distortion and reverb can be found built into almost any amp. Chorus... If you are going to buy the Super Champ, it has built in effects so you might want to see if you like the built in chorus in that amp.
Quote by rander7917
I'm gonna pick up the amp first, as it stands I'm more trying to figure out how much I'm going to have to pay and make a list of all of them.

I know the amp has several effects and they sounded good when I tested it. But I really need some form of foot control for stage use.

There's a foot controller for the amp, though it only has buttons for "effects" and "channel". So you aren't going to be able to use different effects, just turn them on and off. So maybe you'll only need to buy a chorus pedal, maybe not even that. But wait until you get the amp.

So you would just use the built in reverb and distortion that you can turn on and off with the footswitch and use pedal chorus. That's what I would do. But don't buy anything before you buy the amp.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Apr 8, 2013,
As I said I'm not going to. I'm in the planning stage right now, though I know I will need at least a distortion pedal. I really like the sound of maxed out distortion being cranked through maxed out overdrive. From the amp. But as stated I'm not buying anything before an amp.
I'd buy better pedals used via ebay. I've gotten some real good deals via ebay and half my board consists of used pedals (and the other half are birthday/christmas presents).

I've gotten a Marshall Shredmaster for $100, MXR DynaComp for $40, Boss Tremolo for $40, and a few others. I just make sure I buy from sellars with a 100% seller rating and tons of transactions. None of the used pedals I've gotten have let me down yet.

I like MXR pedals a lot, I think they are a great combination of quality and affordability. You can find a lot of Phase 90s, Dyna Comps, Micro Choruses, Bad Ass Distortions etc used for under $50.
Quote by rander7917
As I said I'm not going to. I'm in the planning stage right now, though I know I will need at least a distortion pedal. I really like the sound of maxed out distortion being cranked through maxed out overdrive. From the amp. But as stated I'm not buying anything before an amp.

Wut?

That's a lot of noise. The guitar would feedback like hell and the sound would be incredibly fuzzy and muddy. And you are going to play blues and indie that are pretty low gain styles...

Or do you mean like boosting your overdrive channel with Tubescreamer with gain at low and level at high?
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Behringer is shit.
Not all of them. I know that at least one of 'em isn't.

I only use one effect, if you can call it that. It's a Behringer MIC200 tube preamp and I have been extrememely satisfied. It was $40-45 from Guitar Center and it works well. I like the cranked tube amp sound and this thing lets me get there at low volumes. I have no idea how the rest of their line is but this little thing is a fantastic deal for the money. You like blues? If so, this thing is a godsend. It makes my only non-tube head, a Powerblock, sound pretty damned good. I just leave it on the neutral setting and it gives me a decent crunch for very little money. If it wasn't for the preamp, I'd have to crank up my volume too much on my Fenders, making them kinda useless in the house.

Remove V1 & V6. Put the 12AX7 from V1 into V6 and leave V1 empty. Try the vibrato channel.
Last edited by woad_yurt at Apr 9, 2013,
One good product doesn't excuse the scores of terrible products. Besides that, in my eyes the objective quality of their products is a non-issue compared to how shitty of a company they are.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
at least they didn't whack them in a massive brass case and charge $400. To be fair.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dyna comp
The dano cool cat fuzz, transparent od and there other od. They are clones of the peach peach fuzz, Timmy and ocd respectively.
Devi ever fuzzes many of them run a hundred bucks new. Hundred dollars for a boutique fuzz its actually a pretty good deal. If you buy direct it comes with free candy
Big muff obvious.
There are tons of great pedals going cheap you just need to look arround a bit.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Get yourself a good tube amp first.

If your first choice will be distortion, 'verb, and a tuner...

Distortion wise, it really depends on what you like, but I enjoy the MXR Custom Badass '78 distortion. Lower priced, see if you can find an old (late 80s) Boss DS-1. Dial it in right and you feel like you could slay dragons with it.

As far as reverb, the Boss Digital Reverb (RV-5?) seems to be a pretty well accepted standard. Does its job and sounds good enough.

Tuner wise, I like the Korg Pitchblack, but the TC Electronic Polytune is also a nice option. Just depends on what you like. As long as it's well built, a tuner's a tuner, right?
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
hard to find an amp with decent reverb these days without paying an arm, leg and your left ivory nut, I have a TC Hall Of Fame and it sounds as good as its cracked up to be, very versatile too, small cabin sounds to underground stadium cavern on mars....