Sigma are to Martin&co what Squier are to Fender.

i'd play them both if you have that option to see what they play and feel like, i personally if dropping £400 on an acoustic would want to thoroughly test both.
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
Quote by Dempsey68
Sigma are to Martin&co what Squier are to Fender.
This, (as I understand it), is no longer true. Martin and Sigma used to have that relationship, but the company "in name only", was sold to a 3rd party.

But you're in no way wrong about thoroughly testing any guitar that you're going to drop that much money on.

I would think at this point, Takamine enjoys the better reputation. Although, who knows if it's for their high end product. However, I've never heard "G" series get talked about badly in any way.

Gingerlocks, it seems you have moved on past the Ovations you were trying to convince us all we should not hate. What's up with that?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 7, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
This, (as I understand it), is no longer true. Martin and Sigma used to have that relationship, but the company "in name only", was sold to a 3rd party.

But you're in no way wrong about thoroughly testing any guitar that you're going to drop that much money on.

I would think at this point, Takamine enjoys the better reputation. Although, who knows if it's for their high end product. However, I've never heard "G" series get talked about badly in any way.

Gingerlocks, it seems you have moved on past the Ovations you were trying to convince us all we should not hate. What's up with that?

I don't hate them at all. But I don't have a shop nearby where I can try them out, and I don't want to order one, and turn out that I don't like it.. Rather play safe here.
fair enough. of the 2, if i had to order one without trying them, i'd take the tak. they have a much better reputaion than Sigma. but if your trying them both out, you'll probably come to the same conclusion.
Quote by stepchildusmc
fair enough. of the 2, if i had to order one without trying them, i'd take the tak. they have a much better reputaion than Sigma. but if your trying them both out, you'll probably come to the same conclusion.

Cool man!
I'll post some pictures later on tomorrow!
Just for the sake of conversation, Takamine AE's made quite a fair showing at the CMA Awards yesterday. That's a venue that's normally Gibson territory.

FWIW, I've always seen Garth Brooks playing Takamines.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 8, 2013,
Martin stopped making and importing Sigmas years ago. From what I gather, a German company bought the name and is making them. I don't think Sigma is tied to Martin any longer.

That being said, I would get a Tak. Or find a vintage Sigma.
--- Joe ---
77 Bradley LPC || 07 PRS CE22 || 11 PRS MC58 Artist || 95/02 Fender Strat || 99 Gibson LP DC Std Lite
06 Ovation Elite-T || 12 Martin GPCPA4
Boss GT100 || Peavey Stereo Chorus 400 || Peavey Bandit 75 || Roland JC77
Last edited by Auriemma at Apr 8, 2013,
i would go for the sigma seen as they tend to be well worth the money while as takamine seem a bit pricey