Hey guys, first up I'll say that I appreciate all the knowledge and advice I get on this forum. You guys are an absolute wealth of wisdom!

Anyway, I've been kicking around the idea of getting a cab for my 6505+ 112 for awhile now (and then eventually selling the combo and replacing it with a head -- but that's not the topic of this discussion).

I keep getting hung up on whether to go for an oversized 212 cab or a 412 (really, really leaning toward an Avatar Contemporary 212). If I sold one of my guitars I could just about purchase one of those unloaded and put my Eminence Governor and Sheffield in it. A 412, on the other hand, would require some saving...

However, I've really never had occasion to play through a 212 cab, at least one cranked properly. I've played through countless half-stack configurations and with the exception of a few amps they all sounded massive and powerful even at moderately low volumes -- which is exactly what I'm looking for. It's not so much the extra volume I'm looking for -- it's the massive, thick, and terrifying tone I want.

As for oversized 212s, I've heard some people say they CAN replicate a 412 and others say they CAN'T. I don't know who to believe! Should I hold out and wait till I can afford what I KNOW will work or take a risk and get the Avatar cab sooner?

I should mention that I'd really rather have the convenience of a 212, just because it would be easier to fit into a car, carry up stairs, etc. However, tone comes before convenience...

Thanks for your help!
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Buy a mesa recto 2x12, Orange 2x12 PPC used and get a really nice cab. Used you can get these for $400

The Avatar cabs are diecent if you do want to go that route
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I haven't played through the 2x12 version, but I just picked up the 4x12 version of the Avatar Contemporary, and it's a great cab! I would imagine the 2x12 one is excellent as well.

In my experience with the whole 2x12 vs 4x12, I find that 4x12s sound not necessarily louder, but "more full" in a live situation, due to the extra speakers/air being pushed. That being said, it isn't much of an issue if you're gonna be miced, or at small gigs. The main thing to consider if you're after massive tone, is to stick w/a beefy type of cab, like Orange/Mesa/Avatar Contemporary, etc. The build of the cab itself can have more of an influence on the tone than often given credit for.

One thing I will also say if you have your own speakers you wanna use, and you go the Avatar route - Don't buy one unloaded. More cost effective to get it loaded (And they may still be doing free shipping on loaded cabs atm), plus you could sell the extra speakers and get some money back. V30's would probably be easy to sell, and sound good with the 6505 if you kept them instead.
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
good quality 2x12 over mid grade 4x12 any day i say. lets face it, 4x12 is just a mother. big heavy, sucks in your house, sucks to move, sucks up your stage space. i get that if you really need that certain something, yeah. might have to suck it up and get a big cab.

but generally, quality over quantity i say and a OS 2x12 made well with great speakers is going to sound awesome.

oh, and if you play live with a PA, it almost doesnt matter anyways.

was walking around raleigh this week and say 2-3 live bands. some were on a little tour. they were almost all using smaller fender combos through a PA. its not death metal i get that, but i have a 40 watt 2x12 rig and i would say my rig is bigger than the last 20 bands ive seen live.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
I have the avatar contemporary 212 and it sounds good. Getting a 412 might make a difference, but I decided for what I do it would not be worth the extra hassle.

I saw the devil wears prada live and they used 8 212's.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
I have the avatar contemporary 212 and it sounds good. Getting a 412 might make a difference, but I decided for what I do it would not be worth the extra hassle.

I saw the devil wears prada live and they used 8 212's.

Have you ever played a 6505+ 112? If so, how does your rig (with the 212) compare to the combo?

I really just want a "bigger," thicker sound. If I can accomplish that with an oversized 212, I'll be all over it.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Unfortunately I've never heard the 112 version. Although I would say that my 212 outperforms the stock 412 cab. It's nice and beefy. I'm happy with it. I don't know how the oversized 212 would compare with a Mesa/Orange/Avatar 412 though.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
Unfortunately I've never heard the 112 version. Although I would say that my 212 outperforms the stock 412 cab. It's nice and beefy. I'm happy with it. I don't know how the oversized 212 would compare with a Mesa/Orange/Avatar 412 though.

Cool -- that's all I needed to know. I have played 6505s through their stock 412 cab. So if you like your Avatar 212 better, I'd probably like one too.

I think I'll stick with my plans to get a 212.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
I think it will also come down to the speakers in it.

I had an ENGL 4x12 V30... beastly loud with that cut through frequency.

I have an Emperor 2x12 OS/off-axis with Legend V12's. Sounds awesome, not quite as loud as the ENGL was. I liked this Emperor so much that I picked up a second matching one (around $550 shipped unloaded, loaded it myself with G12K-85's). I can make a huge stack for the stage or rock either one for typical purposes.

I also have a Krank 1x12 with an 8-ohm Swamp Thang in it. This guy is pretty loud too, in the ball park of the 2x12. Swamps are HUGE sounding speaker. Louder than anything else, IMO. I even A/B'd with a G12K-100 and it was much louder than the G12.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by cGoEcYk

that is what i think as well. i have quite a few cabs and even more speakers, and once the cab is good quality build (thinking from $600-$800 new which is just arbitrary numbers) the cabinets are good, the speakers do most of it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by cGoEcYk

I also have a Krank 1x12 with an 8-ohm Swamp Thang in it. This guy is pretty loud too, in the ball park of the 2x12. Swamps are HUGE sounding speaker. Louder than anything else, IMO. I even A/B'd with a G12K-100 and it was much louder than the G12.

I was actually thinking about putting a Swamp Thang in there and matching it with my Governor (V30 clone). Based on everything I've heard, the ST is indeed huge sounding and fills in the low end with some nice punch. Is that an accurate description?

I feel like that's what I want to compliment the Governor's tendency to cut through everything in its path. The Governor is also a VERY loud speaker but sometimes gets overwhelming in the upper-mids department.

However, I've always thought that a larger cab would help fill in the low-end a bit regardless of speaker choice...
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 8, 2013,
Swamp/Gov would be a great combo.

I was in a similar boat as you not too long back. I had a cool unloaded old school Mesa half back cab. I ended up selling it and going the 2x12 route because it would be a lot cheaper to experiment with speaker combinations (too many, and they all sound worth trying!). The trouble with speaker combos is that you have to take the leap in order to experience it. Makes playing with a 4x12 riskier IMO.

Honestly I've gone to plenty of shows where people were rocking 2x12s on reasonably big stages and they were more than loud enough (plus mic'ed).
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by cGoEcYk
Swamp/Gov would be a great combo.

I was in a similar boat as you not too long back. I had a cool unloaded old school Mesa half back cab. I ended up selling it and going the 2x12 route because it would be a lot cheaper to experiment with speaker combinations (too many, and they all sound worth trying!). The trouble with speaker combos is that you have to take the leap in order to experience it. Makes playing with a 4x12 riskier IMO.

Honestly I've gone to plenty of shows where people were rocking 2x12s on reasonably big stages and they were more than loud enough (plus mic'ed).

Well, it's not so much volume I'm looking to gain; my 6505+ 112 with the post gain on 5 would render even the heaviest of drummers impotent in the mix.

It's more how the size of the cab/number of speakers changes the tone. I mean, I've played many halfstacks in stores at very modest volumes and they still sound different than my 112 at the same volume. The halfstacks had a thicker, more "monsterous" tone, for lack of a better way to describe it. That's what I'm going for.
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Last edited by KailM at Apr 9, 2013,
I'd definitely try to find a mesa 2x12 to try, they aren't terribly rare and they sound awesome. Should give you idea of what a good OS212 sounds like.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not