Hey guys, I'm 3 quarters of the way through my senior year of high school. One of my classes is an online AP Music Theory class. It went great for the first marking period but ultimately the sight-singing and ear training changed that and I'm now beyond failing. Plus, I don't have a teacher, I have a moderator who guides us through a preset course. She does her best to answer questions but answers are often unclear, or lead to more questions, and these answers can take up to 48 hours to receive. Basically, despite all the rewarding things I've learned early on from the class, I'm just not cut out for it and I'm doomed to have a grade of 30 or less lingering on my final transcript.

I go back to school tomorrow, and I plan to ask my guidance counselor if I can switch out of my online AP class, and finish my final quarter in another class. I know I will not receive credit for either class, but if I can replace my AP class with something I can do good in, my final transcript might look a bit better. I was just accepted to William Paterson University, but I can still have my acceptance revoked if my final transcript shows a decline in performance, which it most certainly does.

Does my plan seem possible? I know schools vary, but does anyone know if what I want to do is generally possible or advisable? Thank you all in advance!
Quote by Austindicola
I was just accepted to William Paterson University, but I can still have my acceptance revoked if my final transcript shows a decline in performance, which it most certainly does.

I've never heard of this actually happening.

And if you do switch, that still shows up on your transcripts, which might look worse than one poor grade.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by AeroRocker
I've never heard of this actually happening.

And if you do switch, that still shows up on your transcripts, which might look worse than one poor grade.

I suppose that's true, but would that looks worse than sticking with the class and flunking? Switching to a different class might, though I'm not sure, come across as a more sensible thing to do. Of course though they could also view it as me trying to take an easy road out, and I can't deny that being true honestly. I just need to weigh my options I suppose.
yeah it sounds like youre basically studying music on your own and being graded on how you do it seems like a stupid take on a skills based class since obviously everyone learns at a different pace and that becomes more obvious when you have little to no guidace

i suggest you find a compitent music teacher
just my suggestions...ive no idea about the college thing
I think you should bear with it, besides the type of decline that will look bad is if all your grades in every class go down and suck. One bad class, especially a music one wont be so terrible...

btw I took AP music theory in high school and we had a teacher teaching that class for the first time so everybody did terrible, no one(no colleges) cared
Quote by Trowzaa
Why do you and your mates all drive old vehicles?
Please say you've got mates with old ambulances and fire engines too. That'd be brilliant.
Last edited by troyofyort at Apr 7, 2013,
Quote by supersac
yeah it sounds like youre basically studying music on your own and being graded on how you do it seems like a stupid take on a skills based class since obviously everyone learns at a different pace and that becomes more obvious when you have little to no guidace

i suggest you find a compitent music teacher
just my suggestions...ive no idea about the college thing

Quote by troyofyort
I think you should bear with it, besides the type of decline that will look bad is if all your grades in every class go down and suck. One bad class, especially a music one wont be so terrible...

btw I took AP music theory in high school and we had a teacher teaching that class for the first time so everybody did terrible, no one(no colleges) cared

I would definitely like a good music teacher, but the whole point of me taking the class was to be taught music theory. Don't get me wrong, I learned so much from it so far, but it's ridiculous how many difficulties arise from it being an online course. I shouldn't have to pay a private theory teacher so that I can pass a school course, especially last marking period.

But like troyofyort said, hopefully a flunk in AP Music Theory won't look as bad as failing a main required course like English. It's really a shame though, the course has so much potential, but myself and I think most others are held back by the rigid expectations to be proficient in sight-singing and ear recognition. Both are priceless skills I suppose but by no means essential to understanding music. Thanks guys
Yeah I was in the same position. Im glad I stayed cus I more smarter at playing
Last edited by hannahsapnu at Jan 10, 2017,
Terrible bump

This is why we need a dislike feature
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank

Trust me, a college like William Paterson isn't gonna care that you flunked/withdrew from AP Music Theory, unless your GPA was already below a 2.

EDIT: Oh, this thread was bumped. Never mind.
Free Ali
Quote by hannahsapnu
Austindicola what did you do? Did you stay or quit cus im in the same problem as you and I dont know what to do
shut up lady

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Fours years old, dude...

I like St. Anger. Ridicule me, daddy

Quote by ErikLensherr

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
Austindicola - chrismendiola

Okay you can close the thread now
Quote by Mr E Meat
this is your brain

this is your brain on RT

Quote by Standard_A440
Given that you reside in the shade of the natural light of reason, I will defer doing your homework to you.
Quote by hannahsapnu
Xiaoxi what the hell did I do asshole.
oh shit I thought you were a bot lol oops

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
oh shit I thought you were a bot lol oops
Maybe the bots are getting better at pretending to not be bots?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Maybe the bots are getting better at pretending to not be bots?

They are evolving
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
There shall be a stop to this madness. The battle is not over. My tasty licks aren't going anywhere.

Quote by The_Blode
^ I've just realised if you say Simple Plan's 2011 effort "Get Your Heart On!" really fast in a Southern American accent, it sounds gross. . .like sexual gross!

Quote by Necroheadbanger
Hello.
I'm looking for professional bongo-ists and triangle-ists to make a Progressive Technical Brutal Death Metal band
(will be called AxOxJxLxAxIxVxXxUxWxZxQxUxRxWxGxJxSxAxLxKxMxNxHxUxGxAxAxWxVxCxBxZxVx)
(Don't even ask what it means)

https://soundcloud.com/95dank