I've been playing electric for a while and want to do acoustic, finger picking style.

What are the benefits to classical or normal acoustic? Which would be better? The negatives?
As of now, do you finger or hybrid pick your electric?

There's more pain and callouses involved playing the steel string, than either a nylon string or electric guitar.

Neck width may or may not be an issue for you going from flat picking an electric to the wide neck and high action of a classical. And again, the flat top steel string requires more hand strength than either of the other two.

Personally, I won't buy a nylon strung guitar. Classical style of play is very formal, and I don't have the discipline or interest necessary to pull it off. Over the years I've pretty much only tinkered with a pure finger style, then end up whacking out a pick and having at it.

As always, my disclaimer; "Your interests, resolve, and results, may vary".

BTW, just as a matter of simple etiquette, do you really think waiting an hour for an answer is so long, you find it necessary to bump the thread?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 8, 2013,
hey dude you dont need to bump the thread if someone sees it they will answer

but having said that if youre used to strumming and doing bends and whatnot and what to do that on your electric id get a steel string guitar its much better and many times louder than a nylon string gutiar
Quote by supersac
its much better and many times louder than a nylon string gutiar

I hope when you say 'it's much better' you mean that it's better for you and not as an objective statement.

As for loudness, the better concert-classical guitars are just as loud or louder than acoustic guitars but those are usually too expensive for the hobby player. Not that loudness should be the deciding factor in whether or not you buy a guitar considering that amplification exists.
Not sure I know what you're really asking, but here goes:

(1) a classical guitar's strings are set higher than you are used to, the fingering is different from what you've known with an electric, and the guitar itself is slightly different -- the neck is wider (about two full inches) at the nut and is FLAT unlike an acoustic or electric guitar. You will not understand in advance the discipline or the skill required to play this instrument well.

(2) nylon or gut can be used on an acoustic, but really only for finger-picking and with some decently long fingernails. Otherwise the sound is weaker than with steel strings. (that being said, I have a Martin acoustic with D'Appario nylon/silver strings)

(3) if you want to strum chords, then any decent dreadnaught and bronze-wound strings will do.

(4) if you want to really finger pick -- even if it's simple arpeggio style -- then get a decently made acoustic (Martin, Taylor, Yamaha, etc) and then use "Silk and Steel" strings. Your fingers will thank you for it. I use both Martin"s and D'Apparios's S&S strings and I like both brands equally. Both a 45 year old dreadnaught and a newer Taylor are strung with these and they play great.