I'm sure these type of questions come up here a lot so I apologize to anyone that gets annoyed. If you don't have anything to contribue then just ignore this post.

I'm looking for something no more than 100 dollars or so I've been looking at ibanez tube screamers but I've heard the low ends kinda suck on it.

I play a variety of styles but for now my main focus is death metal, and thrash metal. I usually play in a cgcfad tuning so thats why I'm interested in having decent low ends. I also tend to play more riffs since I'm the second guitarist:P

preferrably new, I don't really like going around hunting used items

I may or may not use it for recording purposes, but I would use it more when practicing and gigging around small venues

My current setup is an ibanez rg with a seymour duncan jazz pickup I installed, runnig through a boss ds 1 distortion, into a crate 125w combo amp
If death metal is your thing, then the Crate should be fine. However, thrash metal makes me think you need a new amp. A tubescreamer would be a waste of money with your current amp. I guess I'll say Hardwire TL-2, NOT a Boss Metal Zone or a Tubescreamer, with a side note of "A better amp wouldn't hurt".
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by souperman08
If death metal is your thing, then the Crate should be fine. However, thrash metal makes me think you need a new amp. A tubescreamer would be a waste of money with your current amp. I guess I'll say Hardwire TL-2, NOT a Boss Metal Zone or a Tubescreamer, with a side note of "A better amp wouldn't hurt".

well thrash isn't our main genre, our focus is death metal but thanks for the tips
I say grab a used Jekyll and Hyde, a tubescreamer with tons of low end and comes with a pretty bitchin distortion built into it, you should be able to find one easily from $60-90 bucks no problem.

Edit, if you decide you want a new amp down the line your a step ahead of the game with a very good 808 clone.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Last edited by losing battle at Apr 8, 2013,
Look at the Hardwire TL-2.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Look at the Hardwire TL-2.

Just did! So far I like what I'm seeing, I'm going to see if I can find some sound clips on it. The features seem pretty nice though.
I really like my digitech distortion factory.
This sig will self-destruct in 5 seconds.

Hot e-cousin of girlgerms007

I love Tracie.

Soundcloud
A Tube Screamer is an overdrive, for pushing a valve amp harder, not a distortion pedal in its own right.

I can vouch for the Hardwire TL-2. You can get any sort of metal you want with that, though since it does offer more control than most pedals it means you will have to spend a little longer dialling in the sound you want. When you first get it it can seem a bit limited, because you have to try things that aren't immediately obvious, like setting the thinner mode on and pushing the mids up rather than choosing the thicker mode and rolling the mids back. You also need to be very careful with the gain control because, like every 'metal' distortion pedal, the gain control is incredibly limited and basically just goes from metal distortion to inaudible white noise within a few clicks.

The only other heavy distortion pedal I ever recommend is the Blackstar HT-DISTX. It's a kind of bastardised hybrid preamp so the tone isn't quite as quite as harsh as the TL-2; think of the TL-2 as a Dual Rectifer and the HT-DISTX as a Triple Rectifier and you're on the right track.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Can you save up a little more? Because it seems to me that MXR Fullbore Metal or DD11 Dime Distortion would be great, especially with a solid state amp.
Didn't see you wanted something new. I say grab a turbo rat, yes its not as good on a ss as it is on a tube but because it kicks ass at pretty much everything. It's going to beat the unholy hell out of anything and everything in its price range you just need to be smart with your 3 band eq to get the most out of it. And get this depending on how you dial the knobs it can be used as a boost, mild distortion, a high gain beast that makes rectos shit there britches, and if you venture past 3 o'clock on the distortion and volume knobs a very evil sounding fuzz that slings splattery goodness over their faces.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by losing battle
Didn't see you wanted something new. I say grab a turbo rat, yes its not as good on a ss as it is on a tube but because it kicks ass at pretty much everything. It's going to beat the unholy hell out of anything and everything in its price range you just need to be smart with your 3 band eq to get the most out of it. And get this depending on how you dial the knobs it can be used as a boost, mild distortion, a high gain beast that makes rectos shit there britches, and if you venture past 3 o'clock on the distortion and volume knobs a very evil sounding fuzz that slings splattery goodness over their faces.

I've actually come across a turbo rat before. The problem I've had with that though is that the pickup I have in my guitar right now is a bit too hot so I never managed to find a decent setting with it. It either sounded way too crunchy because of the high treble, or when I rolled off the treble the low end sounded too artificial
Use the amp for eq, I found running it at 2 o'clock for distortion, 10 clock for filter and two o'clock for volume to work for me. The turbo rat is one your better options new you could try to hunt down a joyo or go to to the used marked and grab a Jekyll and hyde if your willing to stretch your budget by 20 bucks the barber dirty bomb is a pretty good pedal don't know if its exactly what your looking for but its worth a look.

Oh and I run a dimarzio xn2 and air Norton in my lp so output shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by joshua garcia

Quote by guitar0player
thanks for the info, I'll definitely look into them as well

Update: Welp, I ended up going with the Hardwire TL-2 . For about 80 bucks off amazon I figured I might as well take advantage of the deal and it seems to have a good enough reputation and enough settings for me to mess with to get a tone I'd like. I'll let you guys know how it turns out once I have it.
Last edited by backlash92 at Apr 10, 2013,