I've had the Joyo Ultimate Drive for a while now and get the exact tone I'm after with it.

However, a couple of weeks ago it started occasionally adding a lot of interference into my signal when it's in use. It's only done it once or twice so far, but it's enough to make me think the pedal may be starting to die.

That said, I'm going to replace it (or at least get a backup for it). Obviously the first thing that comes to mind is a direct replacement, but if I can get something more dependable I will.

As we all know, it's a clone of the Fulltone OCD - that's too expensive so it isn't an option, so what other alternatives are there that will give the same sound?

Budget is around £50(ish). Used is OK so long as it seems in good order.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
It could be something else in the room that was causing interference if it doesn't always happen. Maybe wireless internet etc. It's happened to me before, one day i have loads of interference, the next completely silent!

Or for example i get a lot of noise if im playing guitar next to my computer whilst its on. It's probably not a case of the pedal slowly dying adding to the background noise.

Also, what do you use in the way of a power supply?
Not likely to be internet/other misc interference - the conditions in the room are the same all the time, if that was the cause I'd get the interference all the time.

I use a boss adapter with a daisy chain going to 5 other pedals - again, that doesn't change either so I don't believe that caused the problem. Even so, the first time it happened I did try an alternative power supply (with all the other pedals taken out of the loop) but it didn't change anything.

Whatever it may be, I want to consider the options anyway. When I originally bought it a year or so ago, I was anticipating it would be my secondary distortion pedal (behind a Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic), but it's rapidly become my main pedal and the TTC has become the secondary one! If I'd known that would be the case, I'd have considered investigating more expensive alternatives at the time.

For now though, it's done it twice for no obvious reason so I want to start considering options....hence this thread.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'd save up if I were you.

Some alternatives
Hardwire SC-2 Valve Distortion
Maxon ST-9 Pro+ Super Tube
Ibanez JD9 Jet Driver
Ibanez SD9M Sonic Distortion
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I Like the MXR pedals ('78 Distortion, Modified OD, etc.) but we need to know what genre you are playing, we can't read minds.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Maineguitarist
I Like the MXR pedals ('78 Distortion, Modified OD, etc.) but we need to know what genre you are playing, we can't read minds.

You don't need to read my mind, just my original post . I'm looking for pedals that sound similar to my Ultimate Drive, OCD clones that aren't as expensive as the Fulltone.

MXR are one of the brands I've started looking at, which would you say is more similar to the OCD?

Not sure how the genre I play helps given that I'm just looking for a direct replacement to my current pedal, rather than recommendations for a first purchase, but I guess you want all the usual info to back up what I already said?
  • Main influences are Billy Duffy & Slash
  • Main guitar is Gibson LP, backed up by a Gretsch Electromatic Projet & a Fender Telecaster.
  • Amp is a Vox AC4TVH with V112TV cab.

Budget is already stated as £50(ish), but having a quick look at the pedals ragingkitty suggested none of them are out of reach - the £50 limit is a preference, but I'm not poor so if it costs more I can pay more.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Last edited by GaryBillington at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by GaryBillington
You don't need to read my mind, just my original post . I'm looking for pedals that sound similar to my Ultimate Drive, OCD clones that aren't as expensive as the Fulltone.

MXR are one of the brands I've started looking at, which would you say is more similar to the OCD?

Not sure how the genre I play helps given that I'm just looking for a direct replacement to my current pedal, rather than recommendations for a first purchase, but I guess you want all the usual info to back up what I already said?

Main influences are Billy Duffy & Slash
Main guitar is Gibson LP, backed up by a Gretsch Electromatic Project & a Fender Telecaster.
Amp is a Vox AC4TVH with V112TV cab.

Budget is already stated as £50(ish), but having a quick look at the pedals ragingkitty suggested none of them are out of reach - the £50 limit is a preference, but I'm not poor so if it costs more I can pay more.

BOLD: You would want to look at the '78 Distortion.
UNDERLINE: Not everyone has tried the OCD or the Joyo. Genres generally help more.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by Maineguitarist
BOLD: You would want to look at the '78 Distortion.
UNDERLINE: Not everyone has tried the OCD or the Joyo. Genres generally help more.

BOLD: Nice one, thanks.

UNDERLINE: I know a lot of people here know which the clones are though - I've seen them discussed in other threads in the past back when I bought the Joyo, I just couldn't the right threads this time around.

Will keep my eye open for you & ragingkitty's suggestions
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
the 78 distortion is a modded ds1, is it not? Never tried it, but

mooer does a cheapo ocd clone, but i haven't tried it and i have no idea if it'd be any more reliable than the joyo.

fwiw i have a joyo and harley benton (from thomann)-branded joyo ocd and they both sound slightly different. One has a lot more level and gain on tap. So even if you get another joyo it might not sound identical. granted you'd know they were the same pedal.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Freekish Blues Alpha Drive? You should LITERALLY be able to get them for a dime a dozen after all the bollocks with the company. It's basically a rehoused and minorly tweaked Ultimate Drive.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
i hear decent things from the Mooer brand for quality budget pedals. thats about as cheap as i would go personally without going used.

cheap pedals will be a broken record of what you have already been through. thats why nice stuff cost more.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1. Sounds like a dead ringer for an OCD to my ears. Supposedly Danecletro had to release a 2nd version because they were going to get into legal trouble with Fulltone. I don't know if that's true, but they sound pretty close.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by ikey_
cheap pedals will be a broken record of what you have already been through. thats why nice stuff cost more.
Don't think cheap, think value for money. Like I said, I'm not poor so if I find the right pedal & it's a bit more, I'll spend a bit more. IMO, if I wanted cheap, I'd just buy a spare Joyo - Mooer fall into the same category. If/When I replace it, I want a longer term investment.

Quote by ragingkitty
Freekish Blues Alpha Drive? You should LITERALLY be able to get them for a dime a dozen after all the bollocks with the company. It's basically a rehoused and minorly tweaked Ultimate Drive.
You'd think the price of these would have plummeted, but I've only ever seen them for sale new at the full price. Not sure who's still paying that amount for something they could buy so much cheaper

Quote by Dave_Mc
the 78 distortion is a modded ds1, is it not?
Will have a look at the DS1 as well then

Quote by souperman08
Danelectro Cool Cat Drive V1.
What are they like for reliability? Even though Danelectro are a 'bigger name' than Joyo & Mooer etc, they're still in the same price range which makes me suspect they may not be a better investment.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I'm not sure about shipping over to the UK but check out GFS pedals, they are also cheap but I've used their Blues Driver clone before and it was pretty good. They seem to be built like a tank too. I'm not quite sure which one would get you closest to an OCD but start with the Blues Drive.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Quote by GaryBillington
What are they like for reliability? Even though Danelectro are a 'bigger name' than Joyo & Mooer etc, they're still in the same price range which makes me suspect they may not be a better investment.

Honestly, fantastic. I've had zero issues with mine that I've had for almost two years, and a friend of mine has had one for even longer. They're not plastic like most Danelectro pedals.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by GaryBillington

Will have a look at the DS1 as well then

No i meant the ds1/badass probably weren't much like the ocd
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
No i meant the ds1/badass probably weren't much like the ocd

Then I'm glad you came back

I always find distortion/overdrive the hardest pedal to shop for - more than any other pedal, they have to be just right. Unfortunately my local guitar shops are mostly quite poor, and no matter how many demo's you watch on youtube etc there's never one with your kit playing your stuff (and the quality of video usually doesn't help either!), so you can't really tell how they're going to sound.
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
yeah it's kinda ironic how pedals that tend to be based on one of about 5 "classic" designs can actually sound quite different when you swap like one part. Plus you have to match it to the amp etc. etc. etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?