innovine
769 IQ
I'm interested in learning something new on the guitar, but most everything seems to be either brootalz or a guy in need of a haircut doing wanky shredding. Isn't there anything out there that's good, and not cheesy? Perferrably by a guitarist with a decent haircut?
DanBrown93
Mr. Theory
1,775 IQ
Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats. Stupidly good tunes and tasteful solo's Although their hair might be a bit too long for you ;P
The trouble with democracy is, no matter who you vote for the government always gets in.
takachan
451 IQ
Neil Zaza - I'm alright
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Joe Satriani - 10 words
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie
763 IQ
Quote by takachan
Neil Zaza - I'm alright
Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover
Joe Satriani - 10 words

Yeah. Can't go wrong with Satch (or Eric Johnson)...Satch has no hair to make fun of.

Edit: Except for wicked gorilla arm hair.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Seems like you are talking about metal, right?

I don't know what you are after but I listened to some Steve Vai today and enjoyed it a lot. So here are some cool songs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZebCnNl0bI
Mainly Hendrix style rhythm and melody playing at the same time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Ebvbo6d5pg
Cool acoustic song.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie
763 IQ
MaggaraMarine- You sound like you're just coming around to liking Vai. Welcome, you.
GaryBillington
Last of a Dyin' Breed
1,309 IQ
Anything by The Cult - their stuff goes from ridiculously easy to surprisingly complex.

Billy Duffy has had several haircuts over the years, you can pick your favourite.

Also, despite their longevity there are still a lot of their songs waiting to be tabbed, which gives you two advantages:
  • You can't cheat, you have to learn the song properly
  • Once you've learned it, you get to submit the tab in the knowledge that you aren't simply redoing something that's already here.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm > TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H

My SoundCloud
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
I'm interested in learning something new on the guitar, but most everything seems to be either brootalz or a guy in need of a haircut doing wanky shredding. Isn't there anything out there that's good, and not cheesy? Perferrably by a guitarist with a decent haircut?

Normal bands?

What do you listen to? Work it out on guitar. Repeat till you're ****ing amazing at guitar. Works for most people.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by Dimarzio45
MaggaraMarine- You sound like you're just coming around to liking Vai. Welcome, you.

Actually not. But today was a Vai day. But yeah, I think today I found some cool Vai stuff but really I have always liked his playing. (And I had heard those songs before but today they just sounded cooler than before.)
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
WholeLottaIzzy
UGs Only Rhythm Guitarist
6,023 IQ
Quote by GaryBillington
Anything by The Cult - their stuff goes from ridiculously easy to surprisingly complex.

Billy Duffy has had several haircuts over the years, you can pick your favourite.

Also, despite their longevity there are still a lot of their songs waiting to be tabbed, which gives you two advantages:
  • You can't cheat, you have to learn the song properly
  • Once you've learned it, you get to submit the tab in the knowledge that you aren't simply redoing something that's already here.

Yes. Billy Duffy is an awesome guitarist. Learn Fire Woman. Some cool riffs in that song. Really great tune.
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie
763 IQ
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Actually not. But today was a Vai day. But yeah, I think today I found some cool Vai stuff but really I have always liked his playing. (And I had heard those songs before but today they just sounded cooler than before.)

For me, most days are Vai days.
macashmack
Maskcashmack
3,359 IQ
Vai is very skilled, but he is not easy. Start with Satch and work up to Vai, that's what Im doing.
Dimarzio45
Chookie's Cookie
763 IQ
What level is TS? That would've helped a lot. I actually forgot that he/she wanted to learn something new....I thought listen to something new....Had I remembered that, I wouldn't have posted Stanley Jordan.
Xiaoxi
Registered Luser
2,744 IQ
Kurt Rosenwinkel
Joe Pass
Jim Hall
Wes Montgomery
Freddy Green
Frank Vignola

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
andersstruve
UG 's Degenerate Army
301 IQ
Depends on your skill level. Over the past few months I've branched out to blues guitar and fell in love with Stevie Ray Vaughan's music. His stuff his hard but, doable.
innovine
769 IQ
Thanks for the suggestions. I really should have been more specific. Vai and satch are everything I hate about guitar. Different strokes for different folks is all, but I find that sort of guitarwork to be so very boring. I'd like something with less notes, less flash, less pretension. I listen to a good deal of postrock and stoner rock, but its all so full of itself trying to be the baddest or the most apocalyptic or the most epic. Where is the more mellow instrumental stuff? I'm currently listening to Yawning mans 'rock formations' album and its a breath of fresh air. Probably not going to make my all time fave list but it sounds like someone playing because they like it, not because they are trying to be the hardest or something. Although I like odd timings and stuff like cloudkicker, I find most metal to be just a dick waving contest in one way or another. I haven't really gotten into progrock cos it always seems like an interesting musical enjoyment is put second stage to complexity. I've been learning a little bossa nova for fun too, its a challenge yet still rather mellow. Not sure I dig the style really but its still washing my ears from all the rock aggression.
Last edited by innovine at Apr 9, 2013,
20Tigers
640 IQ
Freepower's suggestion is perfect.

Listen to music that turns you on and listen to it and play it until you are a guitar legend playing music you love.
Si
innovine
769 IQ
Quote by 20Tigers
Freepower's suggestion is perfect.

Listen to music that turns you on and listen to it and play it until you are a guitar legend playing music you love.

Yeah, but I was asking for some suggestions on something new, not something I already know about. I'm a bit bored listening to and playing the stuff I listen to and play.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,412 IQ
Quote by innovine
Thanks for the suggestions. I really should have been more specific. Vai and satch are everything I hate about guitar. Different strokes for different folks is all, but I find that sort of guitarwork to be so very boring. I'd like something with less notes, less flash, less pretension. I listen to a good deal of postrock and stoner rock, but its all so full of itself trying to be the baddest or the most apocalyptic or the most epic. Where is the more mellow instrumental stuff? I'm currently listening to Yawning mans 'rock formations' album and its a breath of fresh air. Probably not going to make my all time fave list but it sounds like someone playing because they like it, not because they are trying to be the hardest or something. Although I like odd timings and stuff like cloudkicker, I find most metal to be just a dick waving contest in one way or another. I haven't really gotten into progrock cos it always seems like an interesting musical enjoyment is put second stage to complexity. I've been learning a little bossa nova for fun too, its a challenge yet still rather mellow. Not sure I dig the style really but its still washing my ears from all the rock aggression.

Then I guess you didn't listen to the two songs I sent you. They aren't typical shredding. Vai has lots of other stuff than just shredding and that's why I chose to post those songs. At least have a listen. But yeah, you don't need to like it of course.
Quote by AlanHB

Gear

Charvel So Cal
Ibanez Blazer
Yamaha FG720S-12
Tokai TB48
Laney VC30
Hartke HyDrive 210c
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
Suggest a song thread.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud