If I removed the frets on a cheap acoustic would I be able to control the intonation better by being able to fret anywhere on the neck
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Well that's the theory behind fretless guitars and basses, so technically, yes. There is definitely a learning curve to playing fretless though.
I pride myself on my humility.
I have a cheap electric, how would I go about maybe filing down the frets to make the neck smooth like a fretless?
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Quote by guitarist5477
I have a cheap electric, how would I go about maybe filing down the frets to make the neck smooth like a fretless?

wouldnt it be easier to remove the frets?

OP thats inda the point of fretless but it takes a while getting used to playing in tune and chords are a bit more difficult
cool ty for the responses. Because the bridge on most acoustics are not adjustable I think this will be the best way to go. I can put a trim nail on top of the nut and raise the action for slide guitar and then chalk(or tape) off each fret on each string to accommodate for the raised action. It cant be no worse than playing a fiddle lol.
MARTY FRIEDMAN--"It’s a lot easier to be technical than it is stylized; it really is... But I think it’s a lot more rare to have someone who’s really got their own sound because that’s something you can’t practice."
Get a new saddle for your acoustic. Its how you adjust intonation.

Your going to need a new one anyway if you remove the frets. I just don't see an acoustic without frets being very playable.
Quote by Culler Amps
Technically if you wanted to do that, the proper way would be to remove the frets, and fill the slots.

what material would you guys recommend I fill in the slots with?
A bassist is never late, nor is he early, he arrives precisely when he means to.

The Pit operates under a pseudo-Murphy’s Law state of mind. You can make a comment and "whatever wrong assumption that can be made about it, will be made about it."
Be sure to remove the frets properly so you don't mess up the fretboard! Heat the frets and carefully ply them from the wood. Then I think you can fill the gaps with some wood dust mixed with glue. Or you can use some epoxy type of thing.
Next, sand the board lightly so it's smooth.
Last edited by terribleguitar at Apr 9, 2013,