I am looking to buy a new guitar, moving up from a crappy Squier Jr or something guitar... was looking at maybe a PRS, Gretsch Pro jet, Strat, maybe a Faded LP or Epi Tribute? Im going to get a good tube amp in a couple of months with a summer job of sorts, so it's not important right now to get... Need advice or suggestions to help me out, Thanks!

Budget? - 500-600 US dollars, maybe 650 if needed

Favorite Artists? - I like to play classic rock (Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, ACDC, Boston), and also the Eagles + Allman Brothers type songs....

Preferences? - I like a simple enough look (Les Paul / strat / other nice guitar), nothing metal looking really though...

New or Used? - It doesn't matter, but whichever one is the best bang for buck works for me, as long as it's in good shape.

Location? - Starkville MS... so no Guitar center nearby, the local shop has poor selection

Current Gear? - a small solid state practice amp, acoustic guitar
Depending on the amp that you have, you may consider upgrading that (or selling your old gear to increase your budget).

That's a pretty decent budget. My first thought is a used Gibson, maybe an SG or Studio LP.
You could also try out one of the VM Squiers or CV's, maybe an Epiphone G-400, and get a decent used amp. Used MIM Teles and Strats will leave you with some leftover cash, so that's an idea too.
OffsetOffset
Location? - Starkville MS... so no Guitar center nearby, the local shop has poor selection

Don't let that deter you from using GC online- they have a decent return policy and a wide selection. Some used guitars worth looking at can definitely be found on their site, like:

Reverend Manta Ray, a semihollow with 2 P90s
http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-REVEREND-MANTA-RAY-290-SNBST-WC-8-0-845-70112-107881510-i2602020.gc

Godin Velocity, a solidbody HSS with tremolo
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Search/Default.aspx?internal=1&browser=&fsrc=Godin+velocity&src=Godin+velocity
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

alhaq369
It is very impotent to success a business.
I looked at that Manta Ray last night. They also have an orange Flatroc (drool).
OffsetOffset
With your budget, if you bought both guitar and amp used, you could get a very decent amp (50to100W) and a very decent guitar.
Would getting both now be better than picking up something like this later?

a used: Fender Hot Rod Series Blues Junior III 15W 1x12
Last edited by shanman_ at Apr 8, 2013,
The amp will dictate your tone more so than the guitar, and that amp should do fine. How much of your budget does it eat up?
OffsetOffset
Spend as much as you can afford on getting a good sounding amp.

Great guitar + crappy amp = crappy sound
Crappy guitar + great amp = sound will be crappy or better, maybe even good.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

alhaq369
If that amp is in good condition, I'd snag it for $100. They normally run $500+ new so that would be a good deal. Danny is right, a shitty amp will make a nice guitar sound shitty, there's nothing to do about it. The Blues Jr. series is nice, and the tube tone will play well with classic rock. Now, those don't have on board effects, right? Something else to think about is what kind of overdrive you'll want with the amp. You can control a certain amount of the amps gain with the guitar volume, but a pedal will make that easier.

That said, there are of course more expensive amps that will likely get you better sound.
OffsetOffset
For classic rock, and without blowing the budget, a used Vox AC15. However, a modeling amp may be a better fit if you want a variety of tone (not to say that the Vox is a one trick pony).

There's nothing wrong with that Fender though, especially at the price point.
OffsetOffset
Vox or Fender would be my front runners. Carvin would be a good option, too.

alhaq369
Here's a thought (as I prepare to be chastised), a Bugera V22. They're inexpensive even purchased new, and are built for vintage tone. They come with a foot switch for overdrive and reverb, so you could pretty much play any of the groups listed, and it only cuts into about 50% of your budget (though you can pretty much always get 15% off at Musicians Friend).

You'd get a loud little two channel tube amp for about $320 out the door.
With around $300 left over you could snag a Squier VM Telecaster Deluxe, and I'd say you would be off to a pretty solid start. This would eat up your budget, but you'd have a nice rig, capable of gigging, and should be able to use this stuff for a long time.

Just a thought
OffsetOffset
is a Gretsch electromagnetic type guitar (like 500$) or a PRS SE better than the squier? It'd be worth the extra money to me if it would sound/play better, or even like, a MIM strat HSS
Yes, in all probability. I've played a few Electromatics- pretty nice. And PRS generally makes a good guitar.

alhaq369
Ok i think Ive got it figured almost out.... In your opinion, is the Bigsby Tremelo bar on the Gretsch worth an extra 100 dollars? , or the PRS around 50 dollars more? which one is the best value?
Quote by shanman_
is a Gretsch electromagnetic type guitar (like 500$) or a PRS SE better than the squier? It'd be worth the extra money to me if it would sound/play better, or even like, a MIM strat HSS

Either will be better than the Squier in theory, but I was putting it in context of you getting an amp as well.

I also go back to another idea. Why not look for a used SG? I'm not opposed to the other guitars you've mentioned, I've actually owned both a PRS SE and two Electromatics, and they're nice guitars, but have you checked the used SG prices?

Totally cool if you don't dig them, but it's an idea.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Apr 8, 2013,
Exactly, that's something I would look at.
The faded has a different finish, not a high gloss finish as the standard would. There are other SG experts who may comment here, but that's actually a pretty good price for that guitar.
The SG is also a tough guitar, as in, a solid beast. I shall someday soon own one myself.
OffsetOffset
Burstbuckers - are they coil tapp/split? and would the tone be heavier or lighter with them on it? It's on that used SG
Quote by shanman_
Ok i think Ive got it figured almost out.... In your opinion, is the Bigsby Tremelo bar on the Gretsch worth an extra 100 dollars? , or the PRS around 50 dollars more? which one is the best value?

I like Bigsbys, so I'd say yes, it's worth it. PRS vs Gretsch? Personal taste.

alhaq369
Quote by shanman_
Burstbuckers - are they coil tapp/split? and would the tone be heavier or lighter with them on it? It's on that used SG

I'm pretty sure those are not split, the Burstbucker three is, but unless they were switched and the feature was added they should be straight humbuckers.

In my experience on the few guitars I've tried with splitting, the tone weakens when split, which is to be expected. That said, the Gretsch and PRS will likely be equipped with humbuckers in that price range (the Gretsch my have Filtertrons).

In answer to your question about the Bigsby: If you do go with the Gretsch, I would get one with a Bigsby. They're fun to play with and add character to the guitar and your sound.

I'd still go with the SG though I just think you'll like it for the Classic Rock you like to play (though the Gretsch certainly had its place in history, as does the Strat).

You might also look for a used 72 Reissue Tele, those are fantastic guitars and get a lot of love around here.
OffsetOffset
Last edited by SteveHOC at Apr 9, 2013,
honestly i don't think that there are too many pickups out there that i have been 'wow'd by when split.

it sounds better in theory, but not for me.

series is better than splitting anway IMO but

get a faded SG maybe $400 and should last for a long time. i have had mine since '06 and its great. i traded a MIM tele for it straight up without a gig bag for the SG AND a HSC.

look around.

i have only played one electromatic, but i wasn't overly fond of it.

decide whether or not you would want a bigsby, or if you need it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

***"What Trashed Hoards"*** (updated 2016-11-27)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
So where's the best place to find used good guitars? the Craigslist around me tries to sell their stuff full retail...
Personally, I start off with my local "Mom & Pop" stores. Music stores, mainly,but occasionally, I check out the pawn shops. I haven't bought one at a pawn shop, though.

Then I move to bigger retailers, like Music-Go-Round and Guitar Center, both on their physical stores and online. Generally speaking, they have good selection and return policies.

Other people then go onto classifieds, or their modern equivalents, like eBay, Craigslist and kijiji. Personally, I have never bought any used instrument via that route, but some people have good luck with it.

alhaq369