But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Yes. Intellectual abuse--the worst kind
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Teaching is Child Abuse is my second favorite Morrissey album.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
Teaching is Child Abuse is my second favorite Morrissey album.

Youve just been promoted in my mind.
Of course not.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
In Religion class? No. It's part of a religious belief, so go ahead and preach it if you want to.

In Science class? Yes. It is not science, is not regarded by the international scientific community as science, and any person with two brain cells knows it's not science.

I agree with Krauss, might as well just start teaching kids that the moon is made of cheese and the US is 17 feet wide.
Depends if it is being taught as if it's the truth, rather than a popular myth.
It's not child abuse, it's just not science and shouldn't be taught outside of a religion class.
MY Music
AMPS:
Chute CC-04 2x12
GUITARS:
Fender American Deluxe Strat SSS (with DG-20's)
Martin Dx-1
PEDALS:
Big Muff Pi Tone Wicker
Keeley Mod Bluesdriver
Holy Grail Plus Reverb
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Boss RC-2 Loop pedal
No.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Teaching creationism is stupid, but assuming the kid goes to any kind of school, he or she has to figure out evolution sometime around 3rd or 4th grade. There's no way there's a valid school out there that doesn't teach evolution in its science class.
DO YOU LIEK ME???

cause i dont like you

Quote by Floods_Solo
Lol. If insomniac's were called something less cool like "cock lords" or something I bet there would be significantly less people claiming to be it.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Only if you have a wank while you teach it

But isn't that why they give teachers those big desks?
Teaching children religion at all should be considered child-abuse, imho.

Last edited by lncognito at Apr 8, 2013,
Would it be child abuse to teach children that Greek mythology is true? If the answer to that is yes, then the answer to creationism is the same. I think so.
Um, no. Unless teaching them Santa Claus and the Tooth Fairy are real is also child abuse.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by noob888
Teaching creationism is stupid, but assuming the kid goes to any kind of school, he or she has to figure out evolution sometime around 3rd or 4th grade.

So brave.
How is lying to kids child abuse?
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in
Quote by adamgur96
How is lying to kids child abuse?

i think "child abuse" is being used loosely here. i'm of the notion that teaching religion to really really young kids is "child abuse," too.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by CoreysMonster
Yes. It is not science, is not regarded by the international scientific community as science, and any person with two brain cells knows it's not science.

Would call it a philosophical idea then?

Btw, it's interesting to note that, in philosophy, the idea of a "god" or a being who created stuff is a more valid idea than some random force. So, essentially, the idea of evolution being started by and guided by a "god" is more valid than evolution being started by and guided by a random force.

Quote by lncognito

What exactly is your logic for that? I'm just curious.
Last edited by crazysam23_Atax at Apr 8, 2013,
I don't consider it child abuse, but I don't like the fact that parents are denying them an understanding of how we understand how the universe works.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Dirge Humani
The thought is insulting to any children who have actually gone through abuse.

This.

I don't think it's right if teaching creationism is forced on a child, but it is certainly insensitive to say that it is abuse.

It may sound a little naive (not sure if that's the right term), but i think Religious Education should be taught in the style of "ok, so we have these religions, they say this. You can believe them if you want, or you can leave it as a nice story." But i know it would be kind of difficult to actually put that into practice, when you take into account what the teacher believes, the beliefs the pupils are brought up on, etc.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by donender
This.

I don't think it's right if teaching creationism is forced on a child, but it is certainly insensitive to say that it is abuse.

It may sound a little naive (not sure if that's the right term), but i think Religious Education should be taught in the style of "ok, so we have these religions, they say this. You can believe them if you want, or you can leave it as a nice story." But i know it would be kind of difficult to actually put that into practice, when you take into account what the teacher believes, the beliefs the pupils are brought up on, etc.

That's already done. It's not that hard to do.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by donender
This.

That was literally exactly how I was taught RE. Although we only ever really covered Christianity in any meaningful depth which I thought was silly.

My brother covered Sikhism in primary school though which I thought was awesome. Having a conversation about Guru Nanak with a 9 year old is always good.
It isn't abuse, it's just feeding them with stupidity.
Quote by lncognito

Don't you think it's a value to teach children a little history on what people used to believe at least?
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by donender
This.

How would that be difficult to put into practice? That's exactly what we do in the UK.

And I think the way Dawkin's phrases it is best: it's not child abuse, but it is an abuse of childhood.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by lncognito

This is absolute nonsense.
Quote by crazysam23_Atax

Btw, it's interesting to note that, in philosophy, the idea of a "god" or a being who created stuff is a more valid idea than some random force. So, essentially, the idea of evolution being started by and guided by a "god" is more valid than evolution being started by and guided by a random force.

Actually, it isn't. It's exactly the same. A random God that exists because he does is a random force.

And yes, I think if you teach your children that religion and faith should be more important than science and logical thinking, that is tantamount to child abuse.
if teachings kids wrong things is child abuse then everything is child abuse

if you look at a kid funny its child abuse

if he steps in gum and you didnt say anything its child abuse
Fuck freedom of religion. It's child abuse.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Quote by rockingamer2
That's already done. It's not that hard to do.

Quote by willT08
That was literally exactly how I was taught RE. Although we only ever really covered Christianity in any meaningful depth which I thought was silly.

My brother covered Sikhism in primary school though which I thought was awesome. Having a conversation about Guru Nanak with a 9 year old is always good.

Quote by Todd Hart
How would that be difficult to put into practice? That's exactly what we do in the UK.

And I think the way Dawkin's phrases it is best: it's not child abuse, but it is an abuse of childhood.

Oh ok, fair enough, i didn't know that. It's been a while since i took compulsory RE (i live in the UK too, by the way), and i forgot what it was like, plus in my original post i was thinking more of how it could go wrong in the worst case scenario, rather than how it actually is. Not sure if it's any different in the US though.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
What if there is a true or many true religions? Then by consequence of not being informed, a child could later spend eternity in hell. I would personally say that the possible "abusive" side-effect of religion would be nothing in comparison to the abuse redeemed from an eternity in physical and mental torment.

Brain-washing could be considered abusive, but from my previous example, so could a revocation of religion.
Quote by SomeBlueKind
What if there is a true or many true religions? Then by consequence of not being informed, a child could later spend eternity in hell. I would personally say that the possible "abusive" side-effect of religion would be nothing in comparison to the abuse redeemed from an eternity in physical and mental torment.

Brain-washing could be considered abusive, but from my previous example, so could a revocation of religion.

1. That's not the school's job.

2. You're betting on infinity.

There are also are other things wrong with that post, but I hope you're trolling.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by SomeBlueKind

I think we can count on the fact that supernatural beings do not exist.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by SomeBlueKind

This was the most long winded Pascal's wager I've ever had put to me.
Quote by SomeBlueKind

Yeah but the problem with this way of thinking is that it's really stupid.
I was taught all the major beliefs of all the major religions in my world history class as a sort of "This is what some people believe, this is what some others believe" thing. Same thing in biology when going over evolution. Only we covered like 18 religions that nobody had ever heard of.

Already done here, and I'm in the bible belt. The most close-minded and christian part of the country.
Minecraft: Sonic
League of Legends: CinoSRelliK

Currently Playing/listening to/Reading:

Kerbal Space Program,
Binding of Isaac
Opeth - Orchid
S. by Doug Dorst
The Martian by Andy Weir
Page 1 of 5