Page 1 of 2
I need a bit of medical assistance from Pit M.D.

So: I've got a caffeine addiction. Bad. You can say "oh it's all in your head" or whatever but let me tell you this now: it isn't. And it's gotten out of control at this point.

Pretty much every day I drink either an average of 4-7 cups of coffee (not at once), and other days, Monster Energy in the morning with about 2-3 cups in the afternoon.

If I don't drink at least that, I can barely function: I'm slouching, constantly fatigued, painful headaches, and I'm always having to piss and end up getting dehydrated. Which is bad for me especially, as I'm a singer and it hurts my vocal cords in a terrible way.

Obviously this can't be good for my health, and I hate constantly feeling this way so what can I do to stop? How can I rid this addiction?
Start injecting heroin.
dirtbag ballet by the bins down the alley
as i walk through the chalet of the shadow of death
everything that you've come to expect

I'd gradually taper down over the period of a week or so, then stop taking any caffeine.

Prepare for them sides. Might need to get something to help you sleep, etc.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
lol caffiene addiction

dis nigga
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I thought there was a rule against asking the Pit for medical advise?
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
Quote by Burgery
lol caffiene addiction

dis nigga

Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Stop drinking it. You'll feel like shit for a week or so, but that's the best way to break it.

Any other advice is wrong.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by crazysam23_Atax
Stop drinking it. You'll feel like shit for a week or so, but that's the best way to break it.

This is it. Just stop drinking coffee. There's nothing else you can do.

EDIT: Me, I'm not a fan of people "weaning" off their addictions. It's never worked for me. What works for me is simply going cold turkey, from one day to the next, biting your teeth together and pushing through, and I've found it works best for most other people, too.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 8, 2013,
The major problem though with all of these suggestions so far is that I'm a college student trying hard to keep a GPA up, and honestly it's a nuicence if I'm going to be constantly having headaches/falling asleep while trying to study or get work done.

I don't even have energy to do anything fun because it's so bad.

Quote by Burgery
lol caffiene addiction

dis nigga
Yup.
You ever sucked dick for caffeine?
Quote by GmacD
pull down his pants, his dick is probly the size of a newborn moose

Quote by Union Jake
Found this quite funny.

Quote by Ichikurosaki
Found this quite SEARCH BAR
Quote by Ian_the_fox
The major problem though with all of these suggestions so far is that I'm a college student trying hard to keep a GPA up, and honestly it's a nuicence if I'm going to be constantly having headaches/falling asleep while trying to study or get work done.

I don't even have energy to do anything fun because it's so bad.

What's more of a nuisance, to be dependent on a chemical or get a couple of bad grades? Those are just excuses. If you really want to break an addiction, you have to quit altogether. There's always going to be shit going on in your life that will make it difficult to quit, and it'll get harder the longer you don't quit.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 8, 2013,
Caffeine addiction?
Better drink your own piss.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Quote by Cianyx
Why are you drinking it erryday?
Because I'm addicted?

Quote by rocklee1431
You ever sucked dick for caffeine?
I'd do it depending on how sexy the male in question is.

Quote by CoreysMonster
What's more of a nuisance, to be dependent on a chemical or get a couple of bad grades? Those are just excuses. If you really want to break an addiction, you have to quit altogether.
Well... getting bad grades.

I've been granted a scholarship to a college and I'm trying to maintain at least a 3.0. I did shit in Physics which hammered my GPA pretty bad.
dont stop drinking caffeine just before exams. are you out of your mind

seriously man, i go from drinking bonkloads of coffee everyday to not drinking it at all regularly

caffeine addiction is nothing
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I guess the only other question I can ask is: what other forms of energy are there that are decent alternatives to caffeine and that I can't get addicted to?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I guess the only other question I can ask is: what other forms of energy are there that are decent alternatives to caffeine and that I can't get addicted to?

Sleep and proper diet.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Well... getting bad grades.

And then after getting the scholarship it'll be college. Then after college, your job for the next couple of decades.

Again, just excuses for not wanting to put yourself through withdrawal and going without your addiction.

If you're not prepared to go through those things, you don't really want to quit. Just ask any smoker who started up again after the first speed bump they hit in their lives.

EDIT: ^ and excersize. Lots of excersize.
Quote by Ian_the_fox

exercise
Quote by jakesmellspoo
ooh look at me i'm ERIKLENSHERR and i work at fancy pants desk jobs and wear ties and ply barely legal girls with weed and booze i'm such a classy motherfucker.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
Because I'm addicted?

you've decided you're addicted to caffeine now. that will make everything so much harder. if you dont think about it its barely an annoyance at all

caffeine addiction is almost completely psychological. suck it up.
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Burgery
dont stop drinking caffeine just before exams. are you out of your mind

seriously man, i go from drinking bonkloads of coffee everyday to not drinking it at all regularly

^^^^^

Quote by Ian_the_fox

adderall
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
Quote by Burgery
you've decided you're addicted to caffeine now. that will make everything so much harder. if you dont think about it its barely an annoyance at all

caffeine addiction is almost completely psychological. suck it up.
I've been addicted. For years. Psychological my ass, I shouldn't be falling asleep at 5:30 PM after getting 9 hours of sleep the previous night if caffeine addiction didn't exist.

Hell, it's a stimulant like cocaine, there's no goddamn way caffeine addiction is completely psychological.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I shouldn't be falling asleep at 5:30 PM after getting 9 hours of sleep the previous night if caffeine addiction didn't exist.

That's also because drinking 7 coffees a day means you're consuming tons of sugar.
It's called sugar crash.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Do you put lot's of sugar in your coffee? Because it could be sugar cravings that make you feel the need to drink it
Quote by GonzoBeatz
Do you put lot's of sugar in your coffee? Because it could be sugar cravings that make you feel the need to drink it
Actually, yes I do. Just enough not to kill the flavor.

That could be contributing, never thought of that.
Quote by CoreysMonster
And then after getting the scholarship it'll be college. Then after college, your job for the next couple of decades.

Again, just excuses for not wanting to put yourself through withdrawal and going without your addiction.

If you're not prepared to go through those things, you don't really want to quit. Just ask any smoker who started up again after the first speed bump they hit in their lives.

EDIT: ^ and excersize. Lots of excersize.

Your blunt but correct. I quit smoking cigs by just going cold turkey. It took a week or two to get used to doing things without them but im very glad to be off them. My sis is trying to quit and her logic is, "if im not buying them its quitting". Which is very wrong. So man up and just quit.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
I've been addicted. For years. Psychological my ass, I shouldn't be falling asleep at 5:30 PM after getting 9 hours of sleep the previous night if caffeine addiction didn't exist.

Hell, it's a stimulant like cocaine, there's no goddamn way caffeine addiction is completely psychological.

didnt say it was "completely psychological". im saying if you hadn't diagnosed yourself with a drug addiction youd have shrugged it off and taken a nap

and that last part is rather ignorant
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at Apr 8, 2013,
Replace it with something else. Try smoking cigarettes. You'll forget coffee soon enough because you'll be buying those instead.
I honestly think you should just start giving green tea a try, it helps the brain think better in the process and all sorts of effects. Now if you drink high amounts you get a little tea drunk(not the drunk like alcohol but a euphoric feel, n you feel happy to do things better), andddd it's healthier and safer than coffee. Once you drink enough, you will not want to go back to coffee, it worked for me n I it works for you.
Quote by ErikLensherr
exercise

This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
Quote by DrewsGotTheLife
I honestly think you should just start giving green tea a try, it helps the brain think better in the process and all sorts of effects. Now if you drink high amounts you get a little tea drunk(not the drunk like alcohol but a euphoric feel, n you feel happy to do things better), andddd it's healthier and safer than coffee. Once you drink enough, you will not want to go back to coffee, it worked for me n I it works for you.

oh you mean caffeine high
Quote by korinaflyingv
Stop.

I used too drink an energy drink, every day, without fail and if I didn't get it I'd be cranky and annoyed.

I just stopped drinking them, I felt like hell, energy levels plummeted, I got headaches that lasted days, I was constipated and I couldn't sleep (yeah I know right.)

But then I got better and now I can enjoy caffine again as long as I'm sane about it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Having been there, I feel that I can help a lot. Cold turkey is the way to go if your withdrawals don't bother you, but your addiction does. If you can't handle the withdrawals, weaning yourself down with green tea is the best way to do it. As far as actually quitting the addiction, keep yourself as busy as possible. This is true with all addictions. If you feel like a cup of coffee, go for a long walk. Hell, go for a 5-day hike
Quote by blackflag49
Condoms, for all the copious amounts of pussy with which you will be inevitably bombarded from this moment onward.

Drink a bottle of water after a coffee. You'll do a lot of pissing but it will even you out.
Page 1 of 2