I was wondering what Guitars, amps, Pedals, Tunings ext. That gets me that old school Death metal tone. Specifically speaking, Tomb Of The Mutilated. Much appreciated.
Jack Owen played both Crate GT-150 and JCM900 SL-X a lot. Now I'm not so sure about the JCM900, but it's a brutal amp either way. The Bleeding is a Crate GX-130.

Early Death is an Ampeg VH-140, while Symbolic and later are Marshall Valvestate 8100.

Earlier Suffocation is an Ampeg SS-150.

Early Decapitated used a Randall Warhead. They're immense.

Really you're better off going tube though, unless you really are an old-school DM fanboy.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Apr 8, 2013,
DeathByDestroyer thank you lol That really helps What were they tuned to and would that setup sound cool in Drop Bb?
I think they ended up tuning in Bb standard.

I play an SS140 combo, and it's great for thrash and black metal. The VH is definitely more pummeling than the SS.
Only you can figure your vocal range out

??????

We've all got different voices!
It's likely pretty limited, compared to someone classically trained. If you can do the black metal shriek, and the guttural growl, you have a pretty decent vocal range?

I'm just stuck in the middle really. I can bark out stuff, or do some bluegrass, but can't hit real low, or high for that matter.
If you can find one a crate shockwave gt3500 head is bad ass for old school and new. I loved that head wish i still had it. It gave me something my 5150 feels like its missing.
Last edited by metalchris87 at Apr 8, 2013,
You're probably straining your vocal cords by doing that. I strongly suggest you see a singing teacher, It'll do wonders for you and your range
Also, trying getting something like a Gibson Flying V, but swamp the pickups with EMGs. Get a Marshall JCM 900 with matching cab. Put a Boss HM-2 in front of that.

Assuming you have all the money to buy this, haha.

EDIT: If you're wanting to tune to B or lower, just get a 7-string

DOUBLE EDIT: Awwww shit- http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Flying-V/Gibson-USA/Flying-V-7-String.aspx
Last edited by Sullinger at Apr 8, 2013,
Valvestate 8100 can nail oldschool death metal sounds, thats why I own one and love it to death. Particularly Death because thats what Chuck used. Crates and Ampegs were also used, Solid State distortion was very popular. Florida Death Metal didnt tune very low. Still close to its Thrash roots D# and D were used mostly. Heavy downtuning came little bit later. You can hear that as you go through your Cannibal Corpse discography.

For swedish deathmetal you need Boss HM2 pedal (or a clone Behringer HM300), you cant get that tone with anything else. This was all about downtuning right from the beginning. C Standard to B Standard are a must. Amps were all over the place, from Peavey Bandit combo to Peavey Supreme to Mesa and Marshall tube amps.

*edit* Man, I really was tired when writing this 5 in the morning, playing the new bioshock all night. Hopefully I made some sense.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 9, 2013,
Well i feel there's no harm in bringing the 6505+ into this, it'll easily do some brutal death metal tones, as well as black metal which is what i primarily use it for.
Quote by Sullinger
Also, trying getting something like a Gibson Flying V, but swamp the pickups with EMGs. Get a Marshall JCM 900 with matching cab. Put a Boss HM-2 in front of that.
The stock Gibson 500T in the bridge of a Flying V has plenty of power to do death metal just fine. In fact I would recommend one for death specifically.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]