What scales are commonly used with bands like Ceremony and Trash Talk? Pulling Teeth can also be used as an example. I'm trying to get that darkish, evil hardcore punk sound, rather than the regular ol' hardcore punk sound such as Sick of it All has.

I've been learning songs by those artists recently, and I can see a pattern in the chord progressions, if anyone has any idea, your help is greatly appreciated
well i dont listen to thos eband but if you could mention what pattenr your seeing ill be more than glad to help

i cna pretty much guarrantee you they use minor scales and some chromatisims
One pattern I've seen for instance , A riff will start on a certain fret, (lets say 3rd fret). Every fret will be used up to 7. I don't see that too often with bands outside hardcore, Every note from 3rd fret to 7 will be used in a riff, I've seen this used many times with both bands and similiar bands.
Another pattern of notes I see used a lot is similiar to the song, "Hash Wednesday"
Here's a link to the youtube, you don't even need to listen to the whole thing, the first guitar part is basically used throughout the whole song lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-BUDnwNfs
Pretty sure most hardcore bands couldn't tell you if you asked them. xD
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by TheChrza
One pattern I've seen for instance , A riff will start on a certain fret, (lets say 3rd fret). Every fret will be used up to 7. I don't see that too often with bands outside hardcore, Every note from 3rd fret to 7 will be used in a riff, I've seen this used many times with both bands and similiar bands.
Another pattern of notes I see used a lot is similiar to the song, "Hash Wednesday"
Here's a link to the youtube, you don't even need to listen to the whole thing, the first guitar part is basically used throughout the whole song lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0-BUDnwNfs

yep minor and chromatics
Quote by ChemicalFire
Pretty sure most hardcore bands couldn't tell you if you asked them. xD

It's all about dat energy, man.

And modes. TS, you should look up modes. Hypolocrian dominant is a great mode for beginners.