Well it came in the mail Friday and I've been too busy playing it to get on here and write about it, but now I'm ready. I finally got my dream amp, the Splawn Competition!

Crappy phone pic.

Received it Friday and it had KT77's installed. However, I had my mind set on EL34's so I swapped em and biased without even hearing the KT77's. Needless to say, I was dissapointed with the EL34's. They had this very dark sound to it that I couldn't dial out. It may have been that they were JJ's (which I heard were dark), but I immediately switched back to KT77's. They sounded perfect... all the midrangey crunch of the EL34 without the darkness. I proceeded to play for over 5 hours that night.

My Review:

The amp has 3 gears with very different personalities, as well as an OD1 (rhythm)/OD2 (lead) mode. I'm going to go through my thoughts on every gear.

Gear 1- Hot Rod Plexi

It sounds exactly as it says. A hot rod plexi. Bright, articulate, and crunchy. The tone controls really need to be turned up on this setting for it to sound sweet. Turn the gain knob to around 1 o' clock, turn on OD2, and you get a perfect brown sound. This is the only gear where the bass control really needs to be turned up, otherwise it can sound very thin.

Gear 2 - Hot Rod 800

Engaging Gear 2 adds loads of bass and thickness. There is tons of gain on tap and I like to keep it around noon. I have to compensate for the added bass by turning it down to 10 o' clock. This can cause a problem when switching between Gears 1 and 2, because now Gear 1 will sound very thin. Engaging OD2 creates my PERFECT tone. It adds just enough top end bite, a tad more bass, and the clarity is unbelievable. It's that rock n' roll tone that I've been dreaming of. Soloing is effortless and I'm still staggered by how well it cleans up. Ratt, Motley Crue, and Metallica tones are all attainable through this gear. Very flexible.

Gear 3 - Super Hot Rod 800

Very similar voicing to Gear 2, but adds even more thickness and crunch to the mix. Despite how thick this voicing is, it never loses clarity and never gets lost in the mix. Although it is described as a "Super Hot Rod 800", I believe it sounds like a Cameron modded Marshall. I feel just like Doug Aldrich when I'm playing through this gear. Dialing back the treble can produce some real nasty metal tones.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is the amp I have been dreaming of since I started getting serious as a player. Doug Aldrich, Eddie Van Halen, Nuno Bettencourt, Warren DeMartini, Mick Mars... I can find all of their tones here and so much more. One of the tightest amps I've ever played through as well, which I believe complements my playing style so well. And although there is no dedicated clean channel, the dynamics of this amp make it so easy to roll back and get the clean tones I need.

I had such high expectations, almost unreal... but I am proud to say not only were they met, but they were exceeded. Well done Scott Splawn, I've finally found my holy grail of british tone.
Hnsd!

And just so you know, that wall-paper looks like what was in my bathroom in the early 1980's, I might like it better than the Splawn
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 8, 2013,
Quote by Robbgnarly
Hnsd!

And just so you know, that wall-paper looks like what was in my bathroom in the early 1980's, I might like it better than the Splawn

Awww I knew I had it coming. Nothing beats old cowboy wallpaper
Bad ass!

Edit: what happened to the logo?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Last edited by R45VT at Apr 8, 2013,
So nice! HNAD!

Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
HNGD. i love my splawns. glad to see another convert.

i have had mine for a few years now, and love them. enjoy it. you should be happy for a while.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Nice score. I've really wanted one ever since I played 311s quickrod years ago. Simply stunning amps. So ballsy. Not to mention they do the brown sounds for days.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Nice score. I've really wanted one ever since I played 311s quickrod years ago. Simply stunning amps. So ballsy. Not to mention they do the brown sounds for days.

Will it do the brown note?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT

Will it do the brown note?

You have to reamp it through a bass amp, but yes, it will.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
You have to reamp it through a bass amp, but yes, it will.

Excellent.

Sounds like a killer amp. I love that Charvel sitting there as well.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Very nice, and HNAD!

I'd like to give a Nitro a try one of these days
- Gibson Flying V 120 #1 (White)
- Gibson Flying V 120 #2 (Cherry)
- Gibson SG Standard ('61 style)
- Jackson DK2M

- ENGL Fireball 60

- Many pedals, plus other stuff
Quote by R45VT
Bad ass!

Edit: what happened to the logo?

Thanks folks!

It came with two face plates. One blank and the other has a grill with the logo on it. I really liked the blank look.
awesome
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by R45VT
Excellent.

Sounds like a killer amp. I love that Charvel sitting there as well.

Thanks, it's my baby

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Sweet.

Looks exactly how my Quick Rod 'used' to look like

The logo is sexy though - you need that on there.

HNAD

I will be doing that ASAP. Don't want people to mistake it for a Marshall or anything
Super jealous. Sweet amp, I am dying for a hotrodded Marshall now.

HNAD
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Quote by Ippon
How do you like that beast?

Congrats!

Thanks, It's fantastic! As soon as I get home this Friday, I think I'll make some clips.

I'm honestly a bit surprised at the compliments on my guitar. Everyone where I live has no clue what a Charvel is Thanks everybody!
This is the Internet friend, we know EVERYTHING!

But seriously, Charvels are awesome. Of all the super strat guitars, I prefer them.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.