Hi UG,

Noob question but….

….I have the Tremonti SE (the model with bird inlays but not the trem bridge) and am going to change the pickups to the Tremonti USA Pick Ups. My question is - is this a straight swap or are other parts required? Is it a simple matter of disconnecting the current pickups and soldering in the new ones or is there more to it?

Either way I will be getting a tech to do the swap, I’d just like to know a little more about it for my own sake.

Cheers!!
As much as I like PRS guitars, I would not pay the premium they want for their pickups. I have an '02 CE22 (which is MIA) and the pickups are like $140 each, I can get an entire set of Seymour Duncan/Dimarzio that will sound as good or better for that price. Get something like a Duncan SH-4/SH-6 or Dimarzio Crunchlab for the bridge and save a bunch of money

But yes it will work
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Thanks dude, and I know what you mean about the pricing!! I'm a Tremonti fan so would the Duncan pups you listed give me a similar sound to the Tremonti's?
I don't know what would be good for the sound you're after, but the price PRS wants for their pups is stupid. Definitely look at seymour duncan, dimarzio, and even boutique winders for that price.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Thanks Kevin, as for the sound I’m after it would range from Billy Squire, Led Zeppelin and AC/DC to Creed, Alter Bridge and Metallica. Seeing as I’m only a bedroom hack I don’t need top of the line anyway so maybe the PRS pickups are best left in “dreamland”.

Which of the Seymour Duncans would suit the above sounds? If it helps I play through a Blackstar HT-1R combo amp as well (no pedals – straight into the amp however I do plan on adding a wah pedal in the future).
Quote by Blazar85
Thanks dude, and I know what you mean about the pricing!! I'm a Tremonti fan so would the Duncan pups you listed give me a similar sound to the Tremonti's?

Yes they will be similar, but not the same. The SH-6 and Crunchlab would probably be closer because of the ceramic magnit.
The crunchlab is actually John Petrucci's sig pickup and it is great for leads.

Your amp and technique is what will determine your tone more than a pickup. Your HT-1's speaker is probably holding you back tone wise.

Buy a soldering iron and do it yourself, it is really simple and will cost you way less than having a tech do it for $50ish a pickup
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 9, 2013,