That's zebrawood. Never seen it used for anything other than the top of a guitar before, but anyway, that's definitely zebrawood.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
The word "tahoe" is not a common name for any deciduous timber I can think of.

Could be Indian Rosewood (Sheesham), which is also known as Tahli or Tali, although the figuring and contrast between light and dark is maybe a little too strong for that wood. Could just be a really highly figured piece though.

With figuring like that, it could also be some form of mango or zebrawood, but I think mango usually comes from places like the Phillipines, Malaysia etc

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. It looks pretty from your picture, so if it sounds good and plays well, it doesn't matter what its made from.

Oh, and good luck if things kick off
I thought zebra wood was cheap, sub 500$. This was a 700$ guitar. It played nice though
Quote by WholeMilk
I thought zebra wood was cheap, sub 500$. This was a 700$ guitar. It played nice though

Not really sure what you mean here... guitars aren't priced by the woods used in their construction
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I actually disagree that its zebrawood. It looks like striped ebony to me. I know quite a few acoustic makers that use it.

This. Looks a bit too open and inconsistent(the striping) to be zebra wood, but I'm no expert.
It is a bad picture i know, but the stripes are not consistent at all. @Explorerbuilder, are the ones you have seen custom, or are there a few in particular. I'm going to look into the striped ebony to see if it matches.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
I actually disagree that its zebrawood. It looks like striped ebony to me. I know quite a few acoustic makers that use it.

It just seems a bit dark to be the one I was playing, unless they have a light striped ebony
First off, I would say its Zebrawood, Although most zebrawood I've worked with has tighter grain than that (but its normally quarter or rift sawn) which leads me to believe it was flat sawn..

Second Off, I'm willing to bet that that particular guitar, is one of these, possibly rebranded or cloned...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ew20zwe-exotic-wood-series-zebrawood-acoustic-electric-guitar
kind of looks like the headstock is the same shape, and both share the white binding...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major
MXR phase 90, Pigtronix Echolution 2
Digitech Whammy (5th gen)

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Apr 9, 2013,
Quote by Ethanb08
First off, I would say its Zebrawood, Although most zebrawood I've worked with has tighter grain than that (but its normally quarter or rift sawn) which leads me to believe it was flat sawn..

Second Off, I'm willing to bet that that particular guitar, is one of these, possibly rebranded or cloned...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/ibanez-ew20zwe-exotic-wood-series-zebrawood-acoustic-electric-guitar
kind of looks like the headstock is the same shape, and both share the white binding...

Actually, it is a guitar that is made and sold in Korea. The make is actually "Mr. Potato" they are known for being all hand made, and are very popular where I am stationed. It is also about double the price, the specific one I was playing that is.
Can't say I've heard of the brand, and It was just a suspicion, given that it does indeed share some characteristics that I can determine from the photo provided. Also notable is that some Ibanez's are made in Korea.

On a side note, after doing a google search on the mr. potato brand I read a post on another forum saying ted kim, the owner/luthier has since retired and moved, the post was dated feb. 14 2011, whether there is any truth to that I do not know.

Anyway's I do suspect that, based on the photo provided, the wood in question is zebrawood.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
I am between guitars right now, I am in a struggle to buy the guitar in the picture or the Breedlove Atlas Stage Series C25/SRe. The reason I created this forum in the first place is to compare the woods, and do some research on long term effects from each of the two guitars. Which ages better I guess you could say.
Well I can't tell you anything about zebrawood as a tone wood (edit: not from personal experience that is), but I can tell you from a stability perspective, that zebrawood is not the most stable wood. I have never built a guitar with it, But I did build tool box in my first year of cabinetmaking (there's a thread on it in the pit somewhere), and learned that it likes to warp. Based on the wood itself, it is a relatively dense (not as dense as ebony or some hardwoods) but dense compared to non exotics, Although it is an unstable wood, based on my experience any ways, so using the wood in an acoustic guitar, which are known to have some issues with humidity and climate changes does not seem ideal. It's also relatively porous, which I'm sure could be argued for or against some tonal property.. For some reason it comes to mind that porous woods are more resonant in the lows.

All in all, I would say the main reason for buying a zebrawood guitar is for the look of the zebrawood. But if you like the way it sounds, plays and looks, then go for it, what ever makes you happy. But bear in mind its not very common as a tonewood, and there may be a reason for this.
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Zebrawood:

Macassar ebony:

The guitar in question:

I guess if flatsawn zebrawood has a wider grain, then that could be it, but I haven't seen it myself. The color does look more like zebrawood, but that's assuming that the lighting isn't affecting it too.

Quote by W4RP1G

I guess if flatsawn zebrawood has a wider grain, then that could be it, but I haven't seen it myself. The color does look more like zebrawood, but that's assuming that the lighting isn't affecting it too.

It really depends on the piece of zebrawood, I have seen pieces with wider grain patterns, typically the wider the grain pattern in woods like zebrawood would be considered a lower grade. From a wood analysing perspective the distance between light and dark grain in a piece of zebrawood is just a matter of how much and how fast the tree has grown in spring.
I have some zebrawood on hand so here's a picture of flatsawn (left), and rift sawn (right)

the darker gain being summerwood and the lighter grain being springwood, which are relatively even in my pieces, but then you get pieces with greater springwood spacing, like this (flatsawn):
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Last edited by Ethanb08 at Apr 9, 2013,
In short,
I would say the cut would not have a notable difference in tone.

But... if you like reading,
I would doubt that it would... if it did I don't think anyone could really tell... its more of a stability/strength thing. One could argue it effects tone cause quarter sawn is stiffer than flatsawn because there is more edge grain than face grain but it would be really hard to determine that without having one tree and cutting half the wood flatsawn and the other half quartersawn then build two identical guitars with no discrepancies between the two.. there would be more of a concern considering how each piece of wood had grown, the wider spacing in spring and summerwood in zebrawood (or any wood for that matter) means the tree had grown faster, and as a result would probably be less dense than a tree that had grown slower... thus having a dense piece and a soft piece may have some audible differences in tone... But its hard to say, whether one would notice or be able to justifiably claim one piece of wood sounding better than another... Although I have heard of tonal discrepancies in walnut, But I have not built multiple (let alone one) walnut guitar to personally validate that...
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Judging by those pics of flatsawn zebrawood, I would rule it out, since it appears that the stripes are practically non-existent.

Too bad the pic in the OP doesn't show much.
Quote by Explorerbuilder
Uh... Since when? That is one of the biggest factors in guitar pricing.

I disagree. Its *a* factor, but not one of the biggest (unless we're talking uber exotic stuff).

The point I was making was that OP was basically saying zebrawood is a "sub $500" material, whatever that means. Kinda ridiculous thing to say. Zebrawood, and indeed many other woods, are used throughout the price spectrum.
Looks like flatsawn zebrawood to me!
Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust
Quote by Ethanb08
Looks like flatsawn zebrawood to me!

I agree

Just had to, sorry!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
*yup it's wood*

Just had to, sorry!

Reinhardt 18 Head
H&K Tubemiester 18 head
Blue 6505+ head

TC Electronics G Major

ETB Infinity x2
ETB Yoda

Frust