Hello UG,

I need help with confirming validity of this Gibson guitar.
It's supposed to be a 1965 Gibson Melody Maker in SG shape.
I've wanted one of these ever since I saw it for the first time a few years ago, but I didn't have the cash back then. Now, I might be able to get some funds, but I want to be sure it's legit, of course.

The guy that's selling it claims that the guitar was entirely original when he bought it.
I don't really mind if the case were not to be original, but I'd like the guitar to be.

Here are some pictures:

I'm mainly doubting about the headstock, to be honest, because a Melody Maker typically has a narrow one, but I've seen pictures of '65 ones with the same one as this guitar.

I looked up information about older serial number dissection, but couldn't find anything I properly understood, same goes for the potentiometer numbers and all that.

Thanks in advance,
Laurens
judging by the headstock logo, the heel, the way the serial number is stamped into the headstock, and what looks like a 3-piece laminate neck, i'd say it's probably a '70s melody maker, not a '65.

edit: oops - after further investigation i realised they started stamping the serial number into the headstock like that in 1961. But the serial number on this one would date it to '70-'72, and the details seem to match those years.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
If I can trust Wiki, in the seventies, there were only SG 100's/200's/250's, which look completely different from this one and double cut Melody Makers with other pickups (and later on other bridge pieces).

Walnut (as this one seems to be) would have been an option since '68.
So could this be a late 60's, kind of transition period, model?
Also, how does the serial number thing work with pre-1977 (or what was it?) Gibson guitars?
I chucked the number into the guitar dater project and it says its a 59 made in the Kalamazoo plant. I don't think that's accurate though!

In any case now that you know it can't be a 65 what are you gonna do?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Serial numbers from that era are kind of random

between 1963 and 1975, it was just pretty much random 6 digit numbers which are sometimes the same on several guitars from different years.

according to this very long page: http://home.provide.net/~cfh/gibson.html#serial

900000 - 901999 = 1970
910000 - 999999 = 1968

that's for serial numbers up to 1970 - for some reason, it doesn't say anything about what's between 902000 and 909999 in that section.

however it also says that for serial numbers from 1970 onwards, serials starting with 9 are 1970-1972 - but that's for guitars that have "made in USA" stamped on the headstock too.

So i think it's a 1970 melody maker. I think all the goofy SG models that nobody likes were introduced in 1971.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by Mephaphil
I chucked the number into the guitar dater project and it says its a 59 made in the Kalamazoo plant. I don't think that's accurate though!

In any case now that you know it can't be a 65 what are you gonna do?

I tried that as well, but didn't get any results. :P

I don't know. The year doesn't really matter to me that much. It's almost the exact guitar I've wanted for some years (I like the pelham blue one more) and as long as it plays well, it's good. However, I don't know what another year of production might mean towards the value of it.

@Blomp:
Thanks for clearing that out & thanks for your help earlier. =)

Now, my new question, which I mentioned earlier this post vaguely:
What does this mean towards the value?
I don't think quality will be that much different (right?) and if it's just a number, I don't care.
I don't need to have a '65 in particular. It's currently priced at 1300 euros (open bid starts at 1000) and I can't really say wether that's a right price or not since this is only the second or third one I've ever seen being sold in my country, but importing one from the US like the one I wanted could easily set me back 2000 euros, if not more. I don't want to do that, however, because I want to play a guitar before I buy it.

The seller seems to be legitimate though and a misunderstanding in terms of information could be easily made, as it seems he/she has some sort of privately run pawn shop and he/she could've easily been fooled by someone else that it's a '65.
i know nothing more than i have read in this thread, but every detail can have a significant impact on what its worth. even things that wouldn't matter to a player, just a collector.

for example IIRC that a few weeks ago there was a vintage strat and in the blue book of guitars, Olypmic White (the color) increased the value by XX%.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I think you should inform the seller and get him to research it properly and get the seller to relist it as the year it actually is.

Then you'll see the real value. If he ignores you go on a Gibson forum and get them to confirm it, tell him, point him towards the threads and if he still ignores you I'm sure that people wouldn't mind sending him messages telling to correct it by the dozen. Get a thread on a Gibson related forum now.

A few weeks ago some idiot was advertising an obviously fake Strat as a genuine CS relic. It was picked up on strat talk and he got message after message until he changed it to Strat-like guitar.

Don't pay more than its worth.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it. :-)

I will contact the seller to get it sorted out and if needed, will make a thread on the Gibson forums.
pot codes are a good way to tell.

they should start off 137, the following two digits are the year of mfg of the pots.

so 13765xx would be 1965. i believe the next two digits are the week of mfg.

so 1376504 would be the 4th week of 1965.

if a pot dates to a given year, the guitar is likely either that year, or the year after.
There's a picture of the pots in the first post, but I can't make anything out of it, really.
I have a larger version if someone wants it, but I think there is too much in the way of it to read it. =/
Post it.

Just ask him for the codes, he'd be silly not to oblige.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by I K0nijn I
There's a picture of the pots in the first post, but I can't make anything out of it, really.
I have a larger version if someone wants it, but I think there is too much in the way of it to read it. =/

yeah there is a lot of shit on those pots. i thought maybe the one with the reflection had enough of the number to tell. sometimes you can only get part of the code off of one and the rest off of another. i mean, if one of the pots is a 60 something then there is a good chance the guitar is. people did change pots over time but...
I decided to let it go. I don't trust the seller, as he/she is unwilling to give more information about the pots and the "heritage" of the guitar. I'm not taking the risk of potentially getting a fake.

Thanks to everyone that helped. :-)