hey guys

I was thinking of getting a Bugera V22 but prices here are quite mad, still cheaper than alot of other options.

I tried a Laney Cub 12R and sounded a little hollow to me.

Next i tried a Ibanez and it sounded great, the overdrive was okay, but got me thinking.

If the inside of the TSA has a TS9 circuit to drive the overdrive channel, you are effectively using a SS pedal to create overdriven sounds... instead of using power tube breakup or pre amp tube gain...

am i thinking on the right track or am i missing something completely here?

I know the whole amp is a tube amp, but its using TS9 to overdrive.

now this brings me to my next point. I know many people use the TS9 to overdrive their amps, but that does not give true tube overdrive, or does the TS9 push the circuitry in such a way that is pushes the pre amp/power amp tubes?
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
An OD pedal can do both - it can add its own overdrive, or it can push your tubes into overdrive. Most ODs do a little of both. Hence the 'volume' and 'drive' controls on most OD pedals - volume pushes the amp, drive adds more of its own clipping. Again, there's some overlap between those controls, but the general idea is that it's rarely just one or just the other with an OD pedal.

And it's mostly just pushing the preamp into overdrive. The power section doesn't really need any help going into overdrive.
okay but then the actual drive is solid state on the TS9/TSA15

cause its got quite a bit of headroom on the cleans, where you really have to have it at full volume with hot pickups to break it up even the slightest.

my next question is (and i cant believe i didn't test this in store) is does the TS9 act like a tube in the sense that if you roll off volume, the gain rolls off too? im going to the store again at the end of the week but i just want to get a bearing about this whole thing
Member #25 of the Ibanez SZ over RG Club! PM ibanez4life SZ! to join

Ibanez SZ320BK, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Statocaster, Laney Cub 12

Quote by Punk2Guitar
your my hero

Quote by benjy118
I love you

Thank you very much
I wouldnt say the onboard TS9 is going to act like a tube, but the tube preamp will (which doesnt seem to have it's own Gain control like most amps). The Volume on the onboard TS9 will probably push/drive the *12AX7's* in there to some kind of saturation. The "Boost" switch may sort of act like a volume/gain control for the preamp.

Sounds like a cool amp actually, reviews say it sounds great. Some other good options in that price range if you go used- Blues Jr (with reverb), Mesa Subway Blues, Peavey Classic 30.
Last edited by cGoEcYk at Apr 10, 2013,