Hey UG community, haven't been on here in years, but I need some actual first-hand experience and knowledge from capo owners for this.

Basically, I'm looking to buy a capo, but I need one that can also work as a partial capo (that is, capoing only the top 4 or 5 strings). I have tried several in the past with the Shubb design and they didn't work as the back of the capo could not vice the back of the guitar neck when trying to capo only 4 or 5 strings. I personally am looking into either a Planet Waves NS Capo or G7th Newport/Performance. Does anyone who owns either of these types of capos know if this is possible, or if not, could you try it out for me? So far I've only found conflicting information of whether they can also work as a partial capo or not.

I know many of the quick-release models (such as Kyser capos) will work, but I prefer to get something with a smaller profile as stated above with a PW NS capo or a G7th.

Thanks for any help.
For 6 string guitars, I just use a Kyser 12 string capo and notch it out. It'll still catch all 6 strings up to about the 5th fret. (assuming a normal 1 11/16" neck width, and of course, assuming you do it correctly).

The Planet waves should work. I wouldn't spring for a G7 just to cut it up, overkill.

The Kyser 12 string capo is an almost perfect solution.

Quote by THE NEKRYPH
....[ ]...I personally am looking into either a Planet Waves NS Capo or G7th Newport/Performance. Does anyone who owns either of these types of capos know if this is possible, or if not, could you try it out for me?....[ ]....

And well no slick, I'm not going to cut up another capo to humor you...
Last edited by Captaincranky at Apr 11, 2013,