Music is a form of communication and has the ability to transcend language and go straight to the most etherial understandings of our brain. Where as I haven't viewed your link I have felt similar responses in my time and always treasure those moments.
Beethoven famously once mocked his audience for crying after a performance, yelling at them how it's just music, it doesn't mean anything.

Beethoven, it turns out, was a jerk.

This piece didn't particularly move me. It's hard to define what makes a particular melody or progression emotional beyond a few things (eg a circle of fifths progression coming to rest, a register break, and a few other things have been shown to create a physiological response). Just work on your technique, work on your ear, and keep creating music, and hopefully when you create something that moves yourself it will move others.
There is no reason. It simply is. That's why music is like magic, only few have mastered the art of extracting human emotions into "the cause".
Quote by ChemicalFire
You get my first ever lolstack

The image in my head is just too funny for words at this point

Aw yeah.
Quote by HotspurJr
Beethoven famously once mocked his audience for crying after a performance, yelling at them how it's just music, it doesn't mean anything.

This piece didn't particularly move me. It's hard to define what makes a particular melody or progression emotional beyond a few things (eg a circle of fifths progression coming to rest, a register break, and a few other things have been shown to create a physiological response). Just work on your technique, work on your ear, and keep creating music, and hopefully when you create something that moves yourself it will move others.

Haha Beethoven is such an a$$. I love it. He did mock people for liking the "moonlight" sonata so much, but he never coined that term. That's like saying a piece of poetry is nothing but words strung together.

We are programmed to associate emotion with sound. Think of your voice when you say something, you can say it happy or angry. I think the tone of the guitar does a good job of mimiking voice and we can associate sound there with emotion.
Different things appeal to different people. You can't necesserily put a finger on it, otherwise everyone would do it.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by rockingamer2
This has 23 more emotion in it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m35GqgxiDPM

In this case emotion = vibrato and bends. And also certain rhythms.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Intervals against a tonality. Melody.

Call and response playing.

The progression note wise from the 1st note to the 5th of the scale via the major 3rd, calling upon strong tones, resolving on a strong tone, but having a 4th in between to want to lead strongly to the 5th or 3rd.

The resolution to the 4th note on the response, falls on the change to the 4 chord, on the keyboard - this is classic chord tone awareness.

These are just for starters. I don't know if you "got" any of that...I think you have to have an understanding of the language, to understand the answers to the questions you seek.

Best,

Sean
Quote by HotspurJr

that's not him being a jerk, i did essentially the same thing to a few people who gave me what i deemed to be gaudy or illogical reactions to stuff i had written when i was in college
Quote by :-D
that's not him being a jerk, i did essentially the same thing to a few people who gave me what i deemed to be gaudy or illogical reactions to stuff i had written when i was in college

You might be a jerk.
Quote by cdgraves
You might be a jerk.

College=jerk.

Simple as that.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3