So I am looking for a strat in the $200-300 range. I want to play some blues and rock and roll lead on this guitar such as SRV and Clapton. The reason why my budget is on the lower side is because I just spent a ton on other equipment and I want something to play around with. What have been looking at so far are:

Squier Vintage Modified 70s
Squier Classic Vibe 50s
Squier Classic Vibe 60s
Used Fender MIJ Strats from the 80s

Also, I want to get a maple fretboard (although I am willing to make an exception on the CV 60s since they don't have them in maple). I have always been reluctant on getting a Squier but I hear a lot of good things about the CV and VM so I figure I give it a shot. Tell me what you guys think.
Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 at Apr 10, 2013,
MiJ for that price isn't gonna happen.

Get a MiM.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
MiJ for that price isn't gonna happen.

Get a MiM.

I saw a couple on craigslist but the sellers were too far from me. Also, the necks were MiM so maybe that's why it was cheaper?
Look for used MIM-Strats or used G&L Tributes.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JimiZeppelin4
I saw a couple on craigslist but the sellers were too far from me. Also, the necks were MiM so maybe that's why it was cheaper?

That sounds dodgy. Always ask for pictures of the headstock, the heel, the heel of the neck off the guitar, the pots, wiring etc. Ask for every code ever printed on those guitars.

MiMs are a good bet IMO. I've never played the G&L so I can't comment.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I'm also hearing that Fernandes strats from the 80s are the way to go. Any experience with these guitars?
Fernandes generally makes a very good guitar, but my experience with them does not extend that far back.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Mim strats are great man you can prolly find one used on craigslist for about 300. Just remember to ask for a bunch or pictures and look up how to spot fakes
Are you handy? Maybe a good kit would work for you:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Quote by Mephaphil

MiMs are a good bet IMO. I've never played the G&L so I can't comment.

Miles ahead of MiMs, the G&Ls are.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Are you handy? Maybe a good kit would work for you:

http://www.carvinguitars.com/kits/

Funny that you brought that up because I while ago I was planning on buying one of those kits but never got around to it.

EDIT: I am having a hard time finding a G&L in my price range and I'm iffy on the MiM Fenders. Would it be safer to buy a Squier such as the VM 70s or CV 50s/60s? I'm not looking to spend that much.
Last edited by JimiZeppelin4 at Apr 12, 2013,
Quote by TunerAddict
Miles ahead of MiMs, the G&Ls are.

I haven't played that particular model so I can't comment, but I've heard a good few people say that.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I just got a MIM Strat from the early 90's I love it I think that's the way you should go. I also know that the Classic Vibe Strats are good guitars also but it just feels weird to me seeing squier and not fender on the head but that's just me.