I'm thinking about getting a new amp, I'll have about 700-1000 to spend. I don't have the space for a cab+head so that's out of the question. It'd need to be fairly loud because I need to be heard over a drummer and I'm not sure whether I should get a tube amp or solid-state amp. I have a 35 watt Orange Crush at the moment, and to be frank, it's a piece of crap, I'm currently using my old 15 watt Crate amp.

I mainly play hard rock like Nirvana, QOTSA and the Smashing Pumpkins, but I'm getting a strat soon so I'd like it to give good clean tones.

A few questions about tube amps:

How often will I have to replace the tubes?
Are they of a better quality than a solid-state amp?
Are they louder?
And I'd like YOUR personal opinion on them, I don't want something regurgitated from some website I've seen already (not to sound rude :p

BQ: What's the best multieffects pedal I could get for under 400?

Thanks in advance.
I recommend a Peavey Classic 30. It seems like a fine amp for your needs. Just loud enough to play gigs, not too large and heavy. Has great cleans and nice overdrive sounds, and a great price. Don't expect it play heavy rock without an overdrive pedal, though.

1. Power tubes usually need replacing every 1-3 years depending on use. Preamp tubes usually last for 5-7 years. If you're after a good tone, you should probably invest in a full retube after you buy buy a new amp.
2. Some are better, some are worse. Talking about build quality, generally there is no difference between a 1000$ tube and a 1000$ solid-state amp.
3. They are considered louder because in tube amps, watts are measured by the amp's clean output, while in solid-state amps watts are measured by maximum output. Loudness also depends on the speaker(s) you use.

As for a multieffect pedal, I recommend looking at Line 6 M9 pedal. Very broad range of effects and really easy to use. Sounds good, too.
Where are you located and what currency are we talking about?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz