I've been thinking of buying a Boss FRV-1 for some authentic spring reverb. However, I've noticed it's not true bypass. I have other true bypass pedals in my chain, so having another true bypass pedal wouldn't hurt What's your experience with the pedal and the bypass?
]
I think the bypass sucks, but the real reason not to buy that pedal is that it just isn't very good overall. Digital reverbs have come a long way in recent years, and a three-knob digital unit that doesn't even stand out at the one thing it does is a rather sad option.

The Digitech Hardwire and the TC Hall of Fame both have tons more options, do a great spring reverb sound, and have true bypass.
Quote by Roc8995
I think the bypass sucks, but the real reason not to buy that pedal is that it just isn't very good overall. Digital reverbs have come a long way in recent years, and a three-knob digital unit that doesn't even stand out at the one thing it does is a rather sad option.

The Digitech Hardwire and the TC Hall of Fame both have tons more options, do a great spring reverb sound, and have true bypass.

Well that's all I needed to know. Thanks again!
]
Boss pedals usually have buffered bypass i think. If I'm wrong then it's fine. I have 3 true bypass pedals in my chain and the rest are boss and it sounds fine
BOSS bypass is known to be good. I just tested an RC-3 with a true bypass looper, and really can't tell when it's on or off. The pedal I usually run in the loop is the Behringer US600. Pretty neat pedal, but it does change your tone in bypass.
i'm not too fussed on the boss bypasses, but i haven't tried that one. Also allegedly a couple of the boss pedals (the tuner, maybe, and a few others) have better bypasses. But the ones I have are meh at best. you can definitely tell they're in the chain if you compare it to the same length of cable plugged straight in.

Just to clarify... that's not me saying buffered pedals suck. that's me saying pedals with bad buffers suck.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The boss bypasses are the sole reason there is no way in hell I'm putting one of them in my sound chain. I own an RC-2, and it's pretty cool, but when I use it, it's going straight into the PA, not in my guitar chain.

Also, that reverb pedal and "Authentic spring reverb" don't compute. While I'm not a fan of a lot of their work, BOSS have some decent pedals. This, sadly, is not one of them. I found the Digitech Hardwire to be muuuuch superior. I have an old EHX Holy Grail Plus that I really like, too.
Last edited by Darkflame at Apr 10, 2013,
Some pedals and amps can react badly on buffered signals, doesn't matter if the buffer is good or not. I only have the RC-3 and like I said in a blind test I just can't tell if it's there or not.

If you have long cables a buffer can even be a good thing, because of less signal loss, especially on the high end. Here's a video from Visual Sound demonstrating that.
I'm not sure how any amp would react badly to a decent buffer. More often you've got buffers stacking with each other, which is rarely good, or you've got an amp (modeling amps especially) that just cover up a bad buffer.

The whole point of a buffer is to not cause problematic interactions. If it doesn't work with an amp, it's probably not a good buffer. I'd find it hard to blame the amp.
If they're good buffers they're supposed to be transparent and it hardly matters how many of them are in your chain. But it takes just one buffering pedal to change your signal in an electrical sense. For example a fuzz face will react very differently. I don't know about any amps specifically, but I thought that's what people mean with an amp that "doesn't take pedals very well".

Otherwise I can't explain why people think a certain BOSS buffer is "OMG SHIT SUCKS TONE" etc. when I can't hear the slightest difference in an A/B test. I don't believe I have bad hearing...
Last edited by Bart123 at Apr 10, 2013,
The problem with cascaded buffers is noise. It's certainly not ideal to have a ton of them running in series. The Boss buffers also aren't unity gain, which you won't notice when you've only got one, but when you've got a full board of them, it starts to add up to signal loss. And then when you have to bump up your amp gain or volume as a result, you get even more noise. And no amp ever will react poorly to a buffer, unless the buffer is poorly designed, in which case the buffer will be bad with pretty much anything.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
To me an amp that doesn't take pedals well would be like a Spyder where it clips and does weird crap when the pedal is actually on, or sounds like crap with an OD because it doesn't drive well.

As far as stacking buffers, it certainly does matter how many are in your chain. It's like stacking a bunch of window panes on top of each other - one is nice and transparent, but if you've got six, the flaws and oddities of each are going to become more and more of a problem. Try it sometime with an A/B box - I think you'll find that a few buffered pedals messes with your signal quite a bit.
Quote by mmolteratx
The problem with cascaded buffers is noise. It's certainly not ideal to have a ton of them running in series. The Boss buffers also aren't unity gain, which you won't notice when you've only got one, but when you've got a full board of them, it starts to add up to signal loss. And then when you have to bump up your amp gain or volume as a result, you get even more noise. And no amp ever will react poorly to a buffer, unless the buffer is poorly designed, in which case the buffer will be bad with pretty much anything.

Alright, that does kind of makes sense. Thanks for enlightening me
No problem. And I forgot to add something; the problem with buffers and Fuzz Faces has to do with the Fuzz Face's very low input impedance. The buffer actually "fixes" the poor design of the Fuzz Face, and allows a much better frequency response, and prevents its gain from being affected so much by external factors (such as rolling down your guitar's volume knob, which adds series resistance to the signal path, which is why it cleans up so quickly). The problem is that it's the poor traditional electronic design that makes its sound so sought after.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Darkflame
The boss bypasses are the sole reason there is no way in hell I'm putting one of them in my sound chain.

same here- i tried a bunch of my old boss pedals recently for a laught just to remind myself of how they sound, and they actually sound pretty good. But that bypass...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
same here- i tried a bunch of my old boss pedals recently for a laught just to remind myself of how they sound, and they actually sound pretty good. But that bypass...

If you were in the States, I'd fix that for you cheap. True bypassing them is stupid easy if you're not ******ed, and you even get to keep the nice switching action.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah i mean if i ever get round to learning to solder i could try it myself

But back to the bypass issue, i agree with what you and colin are saying about buffers. I know for a while there everyone was like "true bypass!", but at the same time now it's nearly like people have lurched to the other extreme which is equally silly. I'd prefer my pedals to be true bypass, because then any drawbacks from that can be easily fixed (as opposed to downsides from too many or bad buffers, which are much more difficult to fix), you can pick and choose a known good buffer (rather than have to put up with whatever they decided to put into your pedal), and you can put it exactly where you need to in your chain.

I'm never a fan of surrendering choice or options when you don't have to. Having buffers built into a pedal (when it's bypassed) pretty much does that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Exactly. Adding a buffer is easy. Removing them is much more labor intensive.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

yeah. I mean even if you use a true bypass loop you have to faff around with a bunch more cables etc.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?