Hey all. Been gone for like forever, but I'm throwing out lines in all directions for this.

In August I'm planning on moving to Geneva with my girlfriend (she'll be attending the Graduate Institute). I'm having a lot of trouble finding work, and acquiring a work permit which I'll need to reside in Switzerland. Her being able to live there while she goes to school is sort of dependent on my finding work there.

If anyone has any advice, tips, knows anybody, etc. It would be super helpful.

I'm already regularly looking at every online job listing site I can find, and I've made accounts with a ton of recruitment agencies. No luck yet though, and it's stressing me out.

I'm primarily a graphic designer, and web programmer (Flash, HTML, CSS, jQuery, WordPress). I also teach beginner level painting classes, and organise events, and I have additional experience in construction, and booking music acts.
Last edited by jfreyvogel at Apr 10, 2013,
Find a venue like a bar or an events centre and say you can help with their website and bookings.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
Find a venue like a bar or an events centre and say you can help with their website and bookings.

This would be a good bet for somewhere in the US, but I'm unlikely to be able to get a work permit that way in Switzerland.

http://www.swissinfo.ch/eng/specials/switzerland_how_to/work_life/Work_permits.html?cid=29191706

The section: "Non EU/Efta Nationals"
It'll be tough man. Sorry but I know little about Switzerland jobs. Cost of living is very high there btw, hope you're prepared for that.
Quote by Philip_pepper
It'll be tough man. Sorry but I know little about Switzerland jobs. Cost of living is very high there btw, hope you're prepared for that.

Not worried about money really. I've looked into it, and I should be able to cover most of our expenses through contract work from US clients. I really just need employment for the work permit.
You're holding her back. All is lost. She'll go without you and start banging her Swiss professor. Seen it a thousand times.
Quote by jfreyvogel

"Family members of a permit holder are allowed to stay and reside in Switzerland as well, regardless of nationality. Family members include a spouse, descendants under age 21 or dependents over whom custody or care is granted, regardless of age."

If she's going to study there she'll get permission to live there, I suppose. So marry her, then you can be in the country forever just looking for jobs.
Quote by Anthropocentric
Your balls. You lost the right to them. Hand them over.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
What kind of person needs to have a Flying V shoved up their vagina?

Join The 7-String Legion! Now!
good luck finding a job when you don't know what the word 'literally' means
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
I lived in Geneva for 18 months~ last year/s.
My advice: Learn French (although Geneva is 50% foreign so English is good enough get by day-to-day). French just makes locals like you and helps with finding a house/job.
If you are a web guy, apply to work at CERN. Most people in Geneva work for CERN or the UN (I was in the former camp).
Getting a permit can be a pain, finding a job isn't easy either. I've known very qualified people look for months with no luck. Hopefully you'll be lucky, but be prepared for a pretty rough ride.

On the plus side, Geneva is lovely, the people are friendly and the weather is really nice. That and when you do get a job the salaries are awesome so you should start earning a mint!

Best of luck, anything else, let me know
Current Gear
-----------------
Washburn WI66 Pro //
Ibanez Prestige SA1260 //
Schecter C1 Blackjack //
Fernandes Ravelle Elite //
Wahburn HB35 Semi-Hollowbody
Blackstar HT40
Uh. Isn't this something get sorted out BEFORE you move to a completely different country on a completely different continent?
Yeah, do it before you go. The Job search that is, unless, you're not moving for work.

Why are you moving to Switzerland TS?

(I'm going to read the OP now, I just took that at thread title/face value).
This timetable is all sort of forced. My girlfriend has been accepted into the Graduate Institute. Her classes start in August. Her being able to afford living there though is sort of dependent on me going with her and working while she's in school.
Why would you move thousands of miles away with your girlfriend? You're going to be ****ed when you two break up. She's only dragging you along so you can support her and she does **** all to contribute. Don't do it bro.
Quote by Wormholes
Why would you move thousands of miles away with your girlfriend? You're going to be ****ed when you two break up. She's only dragging you along so you can support her and she does **** all to contribute. Don't do it bro.

Nah man you don't understand. This girl is special, she's not like the others.
Good luck, man. Swiss work permits seem to be a pain in the arse, it took my mum years to get hers. Loads of international organisations are based there, so one of them might be able to help you. I seem to recall walking past an EA office of some sort too, so see if they have a HQ there?