Hi there,

I recently purchased a Blackstar Series One 200. After watching the online videos I was impressed by how versatile it was and how crisp the distortion was from the KT88s. When playing it I find it has a lot of aggression but lacks that whoosh that albums guitars like Trivium or Machine Head have. I've looked into an Ibanez tube screamer (TS9 and 808) with some thought of boosting the frequencies and having a heavier palm muted sound and chugging tone. I have no clue how to go about getting these tones I'm looking for as my guitar shop stock neither of these pedals. If anyone can shed any light on how it achieve this, It would be really appreciated!

Cheers

James
Can you describe what you mean by "whoosh"?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
By whoosh I mean a thick rhythm, like ballsy palm muting. Not a thin sound, some body to it.
What's your EQ like? What's the rest of your rig? Speakers?
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Sounds thin? Have you downtuned your guitar or is it still in standard? Because otherwise I dont understand what you are aiming at.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
A slight amount of delay should do what you seek to do. You might also look into BBE's Sonic Stomp pedal. The Series One amplifiers have all of the gain and power you will need for the heavy stuff. Play with the EQ, as others have suggested. You need to take the time to learn all of the things your amplifier can do.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
My rig at the minute is the 200 head with Series One 4x12 cab with Ibanez 7321 with active Blackouts running into a Boss NS2 Noise suppressor.

It's down tuned to Drop C# with Dunlop heavy core 7 string set on.

Il continue to play about with it, just being first Tube amp I'm a bit puzzled haha. Will look into the EQ however would a boost pedal be a good recommendation for this amp?
When I said EQ, I meant what does the Bass, Middle, Treble, etc knobs look like. Also, have you tried replacing the battery in your guitar? They actives need a good battery otherwise it starts to sound like shit.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Compression and technique... oh, and VOLUME!!! haha.

Push the signal with a compressor pedal.
Are you playing at low volumes? You might need to turn it up a bit. I don't know about your amp but some amps sound very thin at lower volumes.

Also if you scoop your mids too much, it will sound like crap. Tweak your EQ knobs.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
yes get a tubescreamer-style od pedal. level high, drive/gain low, tone about 2 o'clock. Use that to boost an already distorted tone on the amp (if you use those settings with a clean tone it won't work).

And crisp distortion from the kt88s? really? at 200 watts? at low volumes? You're hearing preamp tube distortion.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?