I've been playing guitar for almost 3 years now, (seriously only for a few months).
I feel like i'm over practicing and not getting anything done, I've been trying to learn the bark at the moon solo for ages and haven't been able to pull it off, with rubbish tabs not having the correct notes, and me just not having the capability to do it. I think i'm a pretty rubbish guitarist considering i've been playing for 3-4 years...
What can I do to help develop alternate picking, being able to play faster.
I don't feel like i'm going anywhere.
Quote by jimi_br4e
I've been playing guitar for almost 3 years now, (seriously only for a few months).
I feel like i'm over practicing and not getting anything done, I've been trying to learn the bark at the moon solo for ages and haven't been able to pull it off, with rubbish tabs not having the correct notes, and me just not having the capability to do it. I think i'm a pretty rubbish guitarist considering i've been playing for 3-4 years...

I also have the same feelings and I have been playing for 3-4 years too. I don't feel like I'm fast enough. But you just need to practice it slowly. Play it so slowly that you can play it cleanly. If you are forcing yourself to play it, you might play it with a wrong technique. So play slowly and increase the speed a bit every now and then. And by "a bit" I mean 2-3bpm and if you can do it easily, increase it with another 2-3bpm until you reach the speed where you can't play it cleanly any more. Then drop the speed a bit and practice at that tempo. You can still play it cleanly. Speed comes over time, it won't come instantly.
Quote by slap-a-bass
skip that song for now, learn a bunch of others then come back to it

thats a good way to start progressing again

This is also good advice.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by one vision
you should concentrate on some exercises like scales, arpeggios, etc.

Absolutely useless if you don't know how to incorporate them into a musical context.
In regards to learning to developing a good alternate picking technique, you should start slowly, rather than approach it full speed and being sloppy.

Also, learn to work things out by ear. A hell of a lot of tabs on the internet are wrong, so using your own initiative will help you get past that and become a better musician.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
Quote by slap-a-bass

I definitely agree with this.

It's all about the baby-steps.
Quote by jimi_br4e

DUDE!

I am in the same boat. Have been for several months. I don't have any pointers to help out =( but Ill let ya know you aren't alone with this problem. I have been playing A LOT of scales ( I can pretty much play all of them but of course not every position) but thats about it. I cant play a full song other then a Cranford Nix cover haha. But yeah, you aren't alone.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
aint no such thing as overpracticing
Quote by AlanHB
It's the same as all other harmony. Surround yourself with skulls and candles if it helps.
Try and learn new techniques that will help you with whatever goal you are trying to achieve. Bark at the moon has some fast phrasing before the alternate picked run that concludes the main solo. so work with those and try and improvise to some backing tracks. You will eventually get fresh ideas. Anytime your in a rut try and learn a different style of music as well.
Quote by slap-a-bass

Other than using the parts of the solo you're having trouble with to zero in on what you should practice in non-related drill form, this is excellent advice.

I've always approached learning difficult songs this way. Give it a rest for a few days and come back to it after learning a different song or two that relates to the technique you're having trouble with. Feeling stagnant during practicing sucks.

If you don't already do this....make a few lists (even just mentally) of songs and techniques you want to learn. Having a road-map for practicing is essential to keeping focused and driven in your practice...it's also nice to see some tangible progression, even if it's slow...it's always there.
Pointers :

A teacher will liberate you from a lot of frustration, keep you more motivated and make practicing more fun and efficient

Be careful with practicing technique more than 3 hours a day, you can damage your hands. Make the most of the the time you have by being relaxed and knowing what specific problem you are solving. Keep the goal in mind.

When practicing for speed, gradually increasing your speed is the correct way to practice, SOMETIMES. In addition you will see greater results if you also push yourself to your maximum speed. Pay close attention to what the cause of the sloppiness is. Identify the problems. Then set the metronome speed down 30-50% and gradually increase. Pay attention to when the mistakes is starting to occur again. They are much easier to solve with lower speed. Focus on one problem at a time.

Having specific goals for the long term make the progress 407% faster statistically.

I would also check out directional picking (or another name for it is economy picking) instead of only alternate picking. This will also increase your speed.

Hope this helps.
Stop doing anything you do not do with passion, and start doing everything you do with passion
Wow! Thanks guys! I didn't think I would get any response.
I think I feel a lot more confident with my guitar playing skills now thanks to all of your advice. I'm currently working my way through some of Troy Stetina's books and seeing some improvement now.
It may have just been some mind block or something, but I reckon im passed it now!
Thanks again!
Everybody feels that way at some point just keep practicing focus on trying to figure out what's keeping you from getting faster work on that and you'll breakthrough