I'm about to play rhythm guitar in a group soon, mainly thrash. For now i just have a Boss ML2 through a little Yamaha 15 W, just for practicing at home. The pedal has a good distortion but played loud and fast it really tend to be muddy and confused, too much confused. So, what will be the ESSENTIAL effects that i will certainly need, considering i will play with a lot of distortion at high volume? I've read something about the Tubescreamer and the Boss NS2 for suppressing noise. It's that true? What else? And why? About the amp i will surely have to buy a new one, so feel free to suggest about that too (maximum 400 euros, maybe a little more).
New amp. Exactly that.

If you were based in the US I could help you find a suitable amp for what you want. I'm not familiar with what is easily available and what goes for what in Europe though. Some of our more knowledgeable EU members can help you out though, I'm sure of that
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Apr 10, 2013,
For metal in particular you NEED a good amp that can do metal. Ideally you would need a tube amp for metal (some more than others) but that can be pretty expensive. Maybe try and get a Peavey Vypyr 30 for practicing at home. It has built in effects so while you're trying to figure out what effects work for you, it'll be more than enough. For gigging though, you might have to raise your budget abit to get a good amp imo.

You wont need a tubescreamer for a modelling amp. It will typically make any modelling amp sound like crap. A tubescreamer, for metal, is generally used before a tube amp to overdrive the signal before it gets to the amp and gives it a bit more distortion and definition if used correctly, but modelling amps have amp models so you won't really need to push the signal in that way.

Thought it might be worth expanding a little on what the others have said...
Main Rig
ESP LTD MH-350NT
Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey
Peavey 6505+ 112 w/ 2x12 (Celestion Vintage 30 and WGS Veteran 30)
[Effects Loop] Boss GE-7 > Boss CE-5 > TC Electronic Flashback
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm.htm

you need speakers too, so if that's too much, the 50 watter will be absolutely fine (I have one).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

combine that with this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

and a speaker cable and you're done. an od pedal as a boost (e.g. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm ) never hurts, but those jet cities don't really need a boost. It does give you a few more options, though, and for 29 euros it's hard to go wrong... EDIT: it's a tubescreamer clone.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Apr 10, 2013,
Quote by Dave_Mc
http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_100hdm.htm

you need speakers too, so if that's too much, the 50 watter will be absolutely fine (I have one).

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_jca50h.htm

combine that with this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm

and a speaker cable and you're done. an od pedal as a boost (e.g. http://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_vintage_overdrive.htm ) never hurts, but those jet cities don't really need a boost. It does give you a few more options, though, and for 29 euros it's hard to go wrong... EDIT: it's a tubescreamer clone.

2x. That rig should provide enough metal (any genre) for looong time. Or if you dont want hassle with tubes and stay in Solid States, the Randall RG1503 seems promising option. Being hotrodded RG100ES its definetly a Thrash amp. But I'd go for tubes.

Seriously, there is only so much a small Yamaha can do. No matter how many effects you slap on top of it, it will sound mushy. You really need a proper amp, especially if you want to play loud and in a band.

*edit* Holy crap the price on that JCA50h is low now! Now I'm really regretting buying the Valveking (which I bought for pretty much same price used). Jet City availability was poor then but I really should have waited.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
Last edited by MaaZeus at Apr 10, 2013,
3x the JCA50H.

I own one, and it has the sweetest od
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Note: The JCA50H is a league above the JCA20H, so don't think they are the exact same thing, TS
Squier Strat
Behringer Fuzz
GFT-90
Quote by Guitarbaddie
Note: The JCA50H is a league above the JCA20H, so don't think they are the exact same thing, TS

They indeed are not. JCA22h instead is on the preamp side. Poweramp is different but gain of 50h and 100h is there. JCA20h is classic rock crunch only amp.

ESP LTD F-50 + Tonezone
Cort EVL-Z4 + X2N
Cort EVL-K47B

Marshall Valvestate 8100
Randall RG1503
Bugera 333
Peavey Rockmaster preamp

Line6 Pod X3
My favorite amp I've owned is a Jet City JCA100H, which is the same thing as the 50W just with a bigger power section. Powerful machine, it can do metal no problem as is. With a boost out front to tighten it up it becomes a force to be reckoned with.

It's on par with my VTM in terms of favorite ampness
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Peavy 6505+ combo, best amp for the money.
Someone is wrong on the internet. Only you can help.

Originally Posted by Tulkas
Stairway is required on any list of anything involving the words guitar or song, I believe Congress amended the constitution in order to put it into federal law.
Quote by KerNeL_KLuTcH
Peavy 6505+ combo, best amp for the money.

The 6505+ does have a nice od channel, but I personally like the JCA better. Not to mention you are able to get some pretty good cleans out of the JCA.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Quote by MaaZeus
2x. That rig should provide enough metal (any genre) for looong time. Or if you dont want hassle with tubes and stay in Solid States, the Randall RG1503 seems promising option. Being hotrodded RG100ES its definetly a Thrash amp. But I'd go for tubes.

Seriously, there is only so much a small Yamaha can do. No matter how many effects you slap on top of it, it will sound mushy. You really need a proper amp, especially if you want to play loud and in a band.

*edit* Holy crap the price on that JCA50h is low now! Now I'm really regretting buying the Valveking (which I bought for pretty much same price used). Jet City availability was poor then but I really should have waited.

and yeah that's what i paid for mine- but the depth mod 100 watter wasn't available for a similar price when i got mine. Slightly annoyed about that, but at the same time i may well have still cheaped out and gone for the 50, as I'd never tried jet cities before i bought mine. the cheapo price is what gave me the guts to take a chance on it.

And yeah that's hard luck for you... they had been out of stock of them for absolutely ages, I figured they weren't getting them back in again too.

Quote by red.guitar
3x the JCA50H.

I own one, and it has the sweetest od

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?