Bought an amp from an online retailer, it showed up damaged. Your opinion?

I must start by saying I'm posting this here because I couldn't find a more accurate subforum for it. I'm looking for opinions based on your collective experiences.

I bought a combo amp from a retail store, through eBay, 15,000+ positive feedback, it's a legit place.

It was sold to me as "Brand new in retail packaging". Instead it showed up in a plain cardboard box with very little packing material, few strips of bubble wrap and foam.

Because of that it was damaged during transit, being 60+ lbs and a tube amp, it took a few blows as it was tossed between trucks lol.

It functions alright, but shows wear on the corners, scratches on top etc. The tubes are rattly and will need to be replaced, but like I said, it works and sounds fine.

The manager of the store accused me of trying to rip him off and has sense become a rather huge a$$ to work with. The final outcome is I can either personally file a claim with FedEx, which is not my problem since he is the seller, or I can return it for a refund.

Thing is, it will cost me $100 to ship it back, and only cost me $600 to start.

What would you do? Eat it and just fix up the amp? Or lose a $100 bucks and ship it back?

Thanks all, I appreciate your insight!
I'm a person who has always gone by function over form, so as long as it works correctly, I personally wouldn't mind some minor scuffs or scratches.

Now, if the tubes are busted and need replacing due to grossly faulty packaging, that's a different story. If the seller flat-out refuses to replace the tubes, and refuses to pay the 100$ shipping for the return, then I'd go on forums and out him as the shitty seller he is, with pictures and email screenshots as proof, never buy from him again and do my best to make sure others don't, either.

But if you say it works and sounds fine, I don't see a huge issue here.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 10, 2013,
Meh, if its just a bit of cosmetic damage its probably not worth it. Although I would have thought that if something shows up damaged, the retailer should really reimburse you for shipping.
The plan was to drink until the pain over.
But what's worse, the pain or the hangover?
Who am I? I'm a titan so be expectin' a clash.
Who really cares if it's scuffed up?

I mean yeah it's a bit bullshit that it was advertised as new, but as long as it works properly and everything, does it really matter all that much?

Besides if you play any gigs it's not like it's going to stay pristine forever unless you let it live in a road case.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Probably from the transport from retail to your home. Typically the retailer isn't going to shit about this, it left them in fine condition. Expensive and fragile items you should get insurance on for the shipping.

But if it works perfectly fine then just live with it. Maybe you can somehow get the retailer to send you replacement parts for what's necessary, or maybe a claim with FedEx for what's needed to fix it up.
TOMAHAWK!

"Now I think I understand how this world can overcome a man..."

R.I.P.
James THE REV Sullivan
I'm feeling the trend so far, I appreciate it as well... to me, getting past the wear is one thing, I do worry about internal damage I can't see, something that's been weakened and as such will cost me a ton in repairs six months down the line. But I guess thats a risk with all amps.

If he hadn't been such an ass about it I would feel differently.

He told me that no matter what my perception was, it was retail packaging, even though I know damn well it wasn't, he also said it might have been a floor model, which of course negates the concept of "Brand new in retail box".

It's hard to let it go on principal, but picking fights in life is important.

Again, I appreciate your collective insight, it's important to me.
Do the tubes even need replacing? If they're working correctly, I can't imagine they'd be rattling anymore than tubes normally would...
Quote by CoreysMonster
Do the tubes even need replacing? If they're working correctly, I can't imagine they'd be rattling anymore than tubes normally would...

One of the 6L6 tubes has a lose filament which when cranked rattles and can short to plate... it red plated on me once already.

I don't mind replacing tubes, I've done it before... but it's a "BRAND NEW" amp for crying out loud lol. It's like buying a brand new car and having to replace the tires a day later.
Quote by 6505fiz
One of the 6L6 tubes has a lose filament which when cranked rattles and can short to plate... it red plated on me once already.

I don't mind replacing tubes, I've done it before... but it's a "BRAND NEW" amp for crying out loud lol. It's like buying a brand new car and having to replace the tires a day later.

Ehhh, it's a single 6L6 tube. Even if the guy had sealed the amp in frozen carbonite, bad luck will always break tubes during shipping. Next time you order a tube amp, be sure to get it insured through postage, though at this price level, buying a single new 6L6 tube isn't exactly a bad deal. What amp did you get, btw?
If you bought the amp new, just file a complaint with eBay and PayPal and tell them the item arrived damage and the seller isn't cooperating. Take pictures and keep all correspondence with them. Also, contact the courier and tell them the item arrived damage. eBay/PayPal both favor the buyer heavily, you will easily win the case. Personally, visual damage or not, if they item is supposed to be brand new, it should arrive as such. Its his fault he didnt package the amp well enough. Also, you never know what problems it could have internally that may show up very soon...Send it back or ask for a partial refund.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ehhh, it's a single 6L6 tube. Even if the guy had sealed the amp in frozen carbonite, bad luck will always break tubes during shipping. Next time you order a tube amp, be sure to get it insured through postage, though at this price level, buying a single new 6L6 tube isn't exactly a bad deal. What amp did you get, btw?

No, I hear you man, and it's a very very valid point.

In reality, the amplifier was insured. I didn't buy it used from a individual, it's a "new" amp from a retail store, it's on them to cover shipping issues.

But yeah, a cheapo Ruby 6L6 aint gonna set me back as much as shipping the amp would lol.

It's a 6505+ 112 Combo, as my user name implies. I've been a Fender man most my life, I still use my Deluxe Reverb RI for most everything... but every now and then, a man has to summon the br00tz, or well, guitar just aint worth playing.
Should also mention, if the item arrived damaged, its up to them to fix the issue with the courier, partially refund you, or take the item back and pay for all shipping costs.
Quote by pugachev
If you bought the amp new, just file a complaint with eBay and PayPal and tell them the item arrived damage and the seller isn't cooperating. Take pictures and keep all correspondence with them. Also, contact the courier and tell them the item arrived damage. eBay/PayPal both favor the buyer heavily, you will easily win the case. Personally, visual damage or not, if they item is supposed to be brand new, it should arrive as such. Its his fault he didnt package the amp well enough. Also, you never know what problems it could have internally that may show up very soon...Send it back or ask for a partial refund.

Internal damage is my main concern, yes, true true.

Thing is, he's willing to accept it as a return... he refuses a partial refund, in fact, the stores sales manager accused me of being a criminal and trying to scam them out of money when I asked for a discount!

I'd send it back in a heartbeat if not for the $100 it's going to cost me to do so... eBay and PayPal would most certainly find in my favor, but they still won't cover return shipping.
Quote by 6505fiz
No, I hear you man, and it's a very very valid point.

In reality, the amplifier was insured. I didn't buy it used from a individual, it's a "new" amp from a retail store, it's on them to cover shipping issues.

But yeah, a cheapo Ruby 6L6 aint gonna set me back as much as shipping the amp would lol.

It's a 6505+ 112 Combo, as my user name implies. I've been a Fender man most my life, I still use my Deluxe Reverb RI for most everything... but every now and then, a man has to summon the br00tz, or well, guitar just aint worth playing.

Ah, I see. But dude, the Musiciansfriend price for the same amp is 599$, why did you go the used route to begin with?
Quote by pugachev
Should also mention, if the item arrived damaged, its up to them to fix the issue with the courier, partially refund you, or take the item back and pay for all shipping costs.

Hah, thank you!

That's my take, FedEx won't even let me handle the insurance claim without the shippers releasing liability to me.

He did say he would file a claim on my behalf, but then it means working with FedEx, which means I would need to repackage the amp, schedule a pickup date, allow them the chance to test the shipping integrity, and then return it to me with their decision.

Time + money + risk of more damage = pain in the butt
Quote by 6505fiz
Internal damage is my main concern, yes, true true.

Thing is, he's willing to accept it as a return... he refuses a partial refund, in fact, the stores sales manager accused me of being a criminal and trying to scam them out of money when I asked for a discount!

I'd send it back in a heartbeat if not for the $100 it's going to cost me to do so... eBay and PayPal would most certainly find in my favor, but they still won't cover return shipping.

They will make him pay for shipping the item back if it arrived damaged. You're covered for all costs including return shipping. I've gone through all this a few times myself.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ah, I see. But dude, the Musiciansfriend price for the same amp is 599$, why did you go the used route to begin with?

Well, three things actually.

1. The eBay store listed it as "Brand new", so I bought it expecting it to be brand new, not used.

2. I try my best to support mom and pops.

3. I had a 10% off ebay coupon I wanted to use.
Quote by pugachev
They will make him pay for shipping the item back if it arrived damaged. You're covered for all costs including return shipping. I've gone through all this a few times myself.

Oh???

I thought eBays policy was if they find in your favor, you return the product and they refund the cost of purchase, but won't cover the cost of return shipping.

If I may be of bother to you, how did you go about using the protection systems provided to get return shipping costs covered? Did you just file a claim?

Thanks man!!!
Quote by 6505fiz
Well, three things actually.

1. The eBay store listed it as "Brand new", so I bought it expecting it to be brand new, not used.

2. I try my best to support mom and pops.

3. I had a 10% off ebay coupon I wanted to use.

Ah, I see. Well, as much as I hate to say this, this is what you get from ordering from mom and pops. They're cool and great to buy from locally, but I'd never buy such an expensive item from anything other than a big, reputable dealer online, and I honestly suggest you do the same. Mom and pops are cool and all, but they are 8 times out of 10 complete shit in online trade.

A big dealer will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied and don't go to the forums explaining publicly how you were ripped off or bullshitted.
The only time I buy stuff like this from mom and pop stores is if I'm actually in the store looking at it.
--

--
Quote by CoreysMonster
Ah, I see. Well, as much as I hate to say this, this is what you get from ordering from mom and pops. They're cool and great to buy from locally, but I'd never buy such an expensive item from anything other than a big, reputable dealer online, and I honestly suggest you do the same. Mom and pops are cool and all, but they are 8 times out of 10 complete shit in online trade.

A big dealer will bend over backwards to make sure you are satisfied and don't go to the forums explaining publicly how you were ripped off or bullshitted.

Quote by stratman_13
The only time I buy stuff like this from mom and pop stores is if I'm actually in the store looking at it.

Hah, good points... I guess it was a learning experience for me.
Wasn't trying to be a dick (re-reading it I feel like it kinda came off as slightly prick-ish), but it's very true.

Nothing against "mom n' pop" style stores; there's a few ones around Richmond that are great. But as a rule, especially online, I avoid them like the plague if I'm spending over 50 bucks.
--

--
Quote by stratman_13
Wasn't trying to be a dick (re-reading it I feel like it kinda came off as slightly prick-ish), but it's very true.

Nothing against "mom n' pop" style stores; there's a few ones around Richmond that are great. But as a rule, especially online, I avoid them like the plague if I'm spending over 50 bucks.

Completely agreed.

Plus side to "mom n pop" shops, they let you haggle, especially if you show up with cash and flaunt it in their faces.

"I know this thing costs 330$, but unfortunately, by complete coincidence, I only have 310$, complete, in cash, right here."

Quote by 6505fiz
Hah, good points... I guess it was a learning experience for me.

At least you didn't get a complete lemon of an amp. All things considered, you got a sweet-ass amp, might have to buy a tube, but so what? You got a sweet-ass fricken amp. Rejoice!
Quote by stratman_13

Didn't come off as prick-ish at all to me... it's the truth in this case at least. I've had mixed results, some of the smaller shops have done me huge favors over the years, there's a place down in CA that gave me personal attention like I'd never experienced before.

But this place, wow... the sales manager is just abusive, I'm no saint either but my requests of his service we're nothing exceptional and instead of dealing with it he blew his top and went off on me.

I've never been accused of trying to scam a discount out of someone before this. lol
Quote by CoreysMonster
Completely agreed.

Plus side to "mom n pop" shops, they let you haggle, especially if you show up with cash and flaunt it in their faces.

"I know this thing costs 330$, but unfortunately, by complete coincidence, I only have 310$, complete, in cash, right here."

At least you didn't get a complete lemon of an amp. All things considered, you got a sweet-ass amp, might have to buy a tube, but so what? You got a sweet-ass fricken amp. Rejoice!

\m/ \m/

It is a beast, for sure! ...that is of course, when it's not red plating lol
Quote by 6505fiz
Didn't come off as prick-ish at all to me... it's the truth in this case at least. I've had mixed results, some of the smaller shops have done me huge favors over the years, there's a place down in CA that gave me personal attention like I'd never experienced before.

But this place, wow... the sales manager is just abusive, I'm no saint either but my requests of his service we're nothing exceptional and instead of dealing with it he blew his top and went off on me.

I've never been accused of trying to scam a discount out of someone before this. lol

Who was the seller? This honestly seems like a legitimate reason to share the name, because a seller shouldn't be treating people giving him 600$ like this.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Who was the seller? This honestly seems like a legitimate reason to share the name, because a seller shouldn't be treating people giving him 600$ like this.

I'm tempted man, but for now I'm going to hold off on name dropping... I might follow through on the eBay claim route, and if he ends up doing the right thing for me I don't want to cause any extra friction. If things go terribly sour... oh you can bet I'll be back in this thread with links.
So the item was sold to you as brand new in retail packaging; however it came in a plain brown cardboard shipping box? This right here would send up red flags for me, odds are if someone is selling brand new merchandise online, it should be in their possession generally in a warehouse and not too many companies use plain brown boxes, especially for amps they are generally glossy colour boxes.

I would personally send it back, but then again I work in an industry where we deal with issues like this all day so I am quite ruthless and cut throat about it, but simply to me its false advertising if they say the item was new in retail packaging and it comes in a plain old shipping box, sounds like it might have been new but was a floor model or returned item due to the lack of a real box. I mean it was sold to you under the assumption that it was sealed in a box and hadn't been messed with right?
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Yeah if you're unhappy and you already tried the seller, then check out ebay's buyer protection. I've bought new combo amps on ebay and they arrived in perfect condition.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
Quote by 6505fiz
I'm tempted man, but for now I'm going to hold off on name dropping... I might follow through on the eBay claim route, and if he ends up doing the right thing for me I don't want to cause any extra friction. If things go terribly sour... oh you can bet I'll be back in this thread with links.

Good show, dude. Do everything you can to try and settle this with the seller, whose best interest should be to make sure the stuff he sells is of good quality, and that his customers are happy.

If it goes sour and the guy proves to be a dick for no reason, report back
Drive to the store with a sledgehammer and crack the manager in the dome or fire bomb the retailer.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
If I were you I would try to get Ebay to help you, but if it doesn't work out you still got yourself a sweet amp except for a bad tube.

When I got my Triple X, GC wrapped all the tubes separately in bubble wrap, all the tubes were fine.
(>•&bull> $$$$$ <(••<

Gear:
Jackson RR3
Jackson DK2
1991 Jackson Fusion Pro
Peavey Triple X Super 40
Thanks all, yeah, it appears as if eBay will help me to get a refund, but ONLY if I cover the costs to ship the amp back to the seller.

Which will be about $100 all said and done.

Thats almost 20% of the cost of the amp, which means when I buy a new one, it will increase the cost of that one by a large sum.

Bottom line, I got screwed. Lesson learned, and sadly, Guitar Center will get my money next time... mom and pops are one step closer to becoming irrelevant.