28 64%
Pros cannot play
5 11%
Unsure
3 7%
rain makes corn, corn makes whisky, whisky makes my baby, feel a little frisky
8 18%
Voters: 44.
A common trend i've heard from people lately, especially being a hockey fan and with the NHL and IOC trying to decide if the NHL will permit players into the olympics next year, is that professional athletes shouldnt be permitted to play, as they have an unfair advantage being paid to play and being able to train every day, with nutrition expects etc.

My opinion is that the Olympics are intended to be the best players in the world at the sport, doesn't matter if they are professional or not, NHL, NBA, etc.

Your thoughts?
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
The US has things like the NBA and NHL, but I'm guessing some countries subsidize the training of their athletes, sort of how China picks out kids to train their whole lives for the Olympics. Don't really have a strong opinion on it.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Yea, why not?

It's supposed to be the best of the best. And the best are usually professional athletes
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
All I know is that Canada's hockey team would almost certainly dominate every other country if NHLers weren't allowed to play.

But for cereal, the best athletes of the sport should represent the country, whether they're professional or not.
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
i dont see how much different that is than having the rich kids with parents who can afford to pay for lessons and such participate

if youre skilled and talented you should be allowed to play im sure they got to bea proffesional by practicing everyday anyway

one thing that does bother me is that proffesional athletes make so much money
I thought the point of the Olympics was that it was for Amateurs? People who compete for love of the sport.

That's why professional boxers aren't permitted for example.
Quote by supersac
one thing that does bother me is that proffesional athletes make so much money

You don't think that Alex Rodriguez should make a quarter of a billion dollars to whack a ball with a piece of wood??
Last.fm So you can make fun of my taste in music
Youtube So you can make fun of my videos
Quote by bifteksupernova
You don't think that Alex Rodriguez should make a quarter of a billion dollars to whack a ball with a piece of wood??

no, because he's terrible. duh
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Quote by bifteksupernova

they should make money based on how good they are at the sport
miss a shot you lose 10 bucks
let the other team score there goes your retirement fund

Quote by willT08
I thought the point of the Olympics was that it was for Amateurs? People who compete for love of the sport.

That's why professional boxers aren't permitted for example.

i think thats for the safety of the non proffesionnal players though
Yes and this is why

Not seeing a team like this in action is a travesty.
Last edited by Rebel Scum at Apr 10, 2013,
I'm not really sure to be honest.

One one hand I agree that the Olympics are for "the best of the best" and only the best should be allowed to play, but at the same time I can see how having professional teams (like Canada's hockey team that is all NHL players for example) would be kind of unfair to other countries that just don't have that level of player.... they just can't compete with that.

I think if they went back to the amatuer thing like it was before the Olympics would be a hell of alot more interesting. If I wanted to see all of the big NBA, NHL or MLB players all at once I'd just watch an All-Star game.

All that being said, I don't really give a shit about sports so my opinion on the subject doesn't mean much.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
I'm not really sure to be honest.

One one hand I agree that the Olympics are for "the best of the best" and only the best should be allowed to play, but at the same time I can see how having professional teams (like Canada's hockey team that is all NHL players for example) would be kind of unfair to other countries that just don't have that level of player.... they just can't compete with that.

I think if they went back to the amatuer thing like it was before the Olympics would be a hell of alot more interesting. If I wanted to see all of the big NBA, NHL or MLB players all at once I'd just watch an All-Star game.

All that being said, I don't really give a shit about sports so my opinion on the subject doesn't mean much.

I just don't see why Canada shouldn't be able to dominate hockey and the US basketball when they have the best players. Some countries are just way better at some sports than others. Like China with their ping pong players
___

Quote by The_Blode
Quote by WCPhils
I just don't see why Canada shouldn't be able to dominate hockey and the US basketball when they have the best players. Some countries are just way better at some sports than others. Like China with their ping pong players

That's true, but don't you think it would be a little more interesting if someone else even had a chance for once? It's kind of boring knowing each Olympics that Canada is going to win at hockey, the US is going to win at basketball, Brazil is going to win at volleyball... why even bother watching at that point?
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
That's true, but don't you think it would be a little more interesting if someone else even had a chance for once? It's kind of boring knowing each Olympics that Canada is going to win at hockey, the US is going to win at basketball, Brazil is going to win at volleyball... why even bother watching at that point?

Because upsets mayne...

Because rooting for the under dog is fun mayne

Because watching the best doing what they do best mayne

Well look at track and field most of them run proffesionally too. The same goes for tennis, soccer, figure skating, cycling.....
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by bifteksupernova

No because A Rod is terrible.
Quote by joshua garcia
I was incredibly drunk and only really remember writing a fanfic where ESP was getting porked by a pony.

Quote by guitar0player
I'd honestly fap to anything with a set of genitals as long as I find it aesthetically appealing.
Quote by stonyman65

I was entirely unaware they'd stopped the amateur thing?

I just thought they were silly in Basketball with it
Quote by stonyman65

But Canada doesn't win gold every time, they won gold in 2010 and in 2002. The last time before that was in the 50's.
I don't wanna watch fatty fatty 2 by 4 run around the track

I want some bolt!

really, there's no point in watching the olympics if you're not watching the best of the best
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
I think that olympians should be randomly chosen from the entire population of each country after the closing ceremony and then randomly assigned to what events they will perform. Then give them four years to train and see what happens.
Of course they should be allowed. Olympic athletes are also "professional athletes." In my opinion and experience, they recieve more and better professional training. It's a silly distinction.
My God, it's full of stars!
Of course they should. Athletes around the world have a chance to play in professional sports as long as they're good enough so they should be allowed in the Olympics.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by Rebel Scum
No and this is why

Seeing a team like this in action is embarrassing.

Fixed that for ya.

Pro athletes being there is about endorsements and money, not for having the best level of competition. Where's the joy in watching the Dream Team winning by 40 some points?
Did some people in this thread actually say

"The best shouldn't be allowed because it's not fair"?

omygoodneswhydoiwakeupinthemorning
Quote by WaterGod
So people who compete in the Olympics aren't professionals?

There are a lot of people in the Olympics that do not get paid to compete, correct.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by Redsectoreh
But Canada doesn't win gold every time, they won gold in 2010 and in 2002. The last time before that was in the 50's.

I may be incorrect but I'm pretty sure that there was a while where Canada could not compete in Olympic hockey.
Quote by WaterGod
So people who compete in the Olympics aren't professionals?

It used to be that way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympic_Games#Amateurism_and_professionalism
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
nobody wants to see the world juniors part two during the olympics

Quote by jonlambofgod666
I may be incorrect but I'm pretty sure that there was a while where Canada could not compete in Olympic hockey.

*Chose* not to for a while.

Then had a shitty touring Canadian team when the nhl wouldnt release players.

Quote by jimmyled

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper

GO SENS GO
Quote by MinterMan22
nobody wants to see the world juniors part two during the olympics

Nobody wants to see an MLB All-Star team take on a Little League team either.