hello, I've had an Ibanez 1570 RG for about a year now, what I've noticed is, I have to position my picking hand /wrist on the contour very low / uncomfortable position to be able to fluently pick on this RG. Is it possible that my arm is too long for this guitar? I don't have a music store to try out other guitars, but I did own an epiphone goth les paul studio and a kramer striker 211 FR and never had this problem before. Just curious if it's possible I'm doing something wrong or it's exactly what the title states, thanks.

Also I'm 6'4, to give you an idea of how long my arm is.
Last edited by HammerParty at Apr 10, 2013,
Sounds more like guitar positioning/technique.

You may feel more comfortable on a longer scale guitar. Have you ever tried a baritone guitar?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
No, I haven't. I think I'm going to end up having to trade in this guitar at some point, I just can't get comfortable on it. But I'm looking to see more opinions, like you said it might just be technique/positioning.
how do you sit?

maybe try classical?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
I sit normal with the guitar flat. If that's what you mean.

never heard of that. Ther only problem I have is with my picking hand, the fretting hand works fine.
Can we get a picture or something? Descriptions of posture have never been very helpful to me.

Paul Gilbert's 6'4" though and he doesn't seem to have a problem though, so I do agree that it's just a technical problem.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-84
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-1
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 32-15
-buy a strap and stand up while playing
-classical position
-make an attempt to solve a problem before asking the interwebs

No offense to you TS but it's silly to think you should get rid of a guitar you like before trying to come up with or implement a solution of some sort to resolve any issues with it. Maybe you're only seeing it's flaws now because at some level you know you don't like your guitar anymore and want to get rid of it, it happens.
I think it's silly to assume that I haven't tried many things, also not to mention that I'm asking right now for advice / help. Now moving on....

I tried the classical position and that seemed to be more help to me. I'll try to get a pic up tonight or tomorrow, we'll see. Not at home at the moment.

Edit: I mean, I've tried to lower the neck pickup because that's where my picking hand naturally goes, but no luck with that as my model is already at it's lowest (fixed position), moved my wrist/arm all over the contour and so on. To make things more clear
Last edited by HammerParty at Apr 10, 2013,
Your natural picking position is at the neck pickup?

Try moving it closer to the bridge, I feel like that'd be a very awkward position to hold your picking hand most of the time. Maybe that's just me though.

It's extremely difficult for me to pick at the bridge or anywhere remotely center on this RG, my hand is just too big and it hits the bridge / volume knob. That's why I think the guitar is too small for my arms. On other guitars it's generally around where the middle pickup would sit on those guitars, but in the classical position on this RG it's somewhere between the neck / middle.
Quote by tukk04
-buy a strap and stand up while playing
-classical position
-make an attempt to solve a problem before asking the interwebs

No offense to you TS but it's silly to think you should get rid of a guitar you like before trying to come up with or implement a solution of some sort to resolve any issues with it. Maybe you're only seeing it's flaws now because at some level you know you don't like your guitar anymore and want to get rid of it, it happens.

...or he just cant get comfortable on it? I have the same exact problem with super strat guitars. I used to have this Schecter Exotic that was a great guitar, sounded great, looked just as good, and i only had it for 8 months because i just couldnt get comfortable on it. Tried classical, tried standing, sitting, you name it i tried it and it just wasn't working. It happens, there's no need to be a dick to him about it.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Post a pic, it's hard to explain these kinds of problems without a picture.
I'll have the time to post it tomorrow.

Will these work? Front view, side view of angle of my wrist/arm?
Quote by HammerParty
It's extremely difficult for me to pick at the bridge or anywhere remotely center on this RG, my hand is just too big and it hits the bridge / volume knob. That's why I think the guitar is too small for my arms. On other guitars it's generally around where the middle pickup would sit on those guitars, but in the classical position on this RG it's somewhere between the neck / middle.

You must have some gigantic hands - I've got big hands and I've never had a problem like this.

Quote by HammerParty
I'll have the time to post it tomorrow.

Will these work? Front view, side view of angle of my wrist/arm?

That should work fine for me.

Quote by HammerParty

I'm used to certain guitars I've owned for many years, so when I try guitars that have significant differences, ie: thicker necks, or higher & differently positioned bridges, they don't feel comfortable for me, so this could be similar to your situation, you may be more comfortable with those previous guitars you had. But then again sometimes its a matter of getting comfortable with a different guitar too. But seems you've really tried, so I'd say it's likely just not a guitar made for you.

I'm not sure if the guitar is too "small" for you, it may just be other differences in this guitar compared to your previous guitars, things like the length of of the neck and the position of the pickups and bridge. A 24-fret neck (like an Ibanez) can often be longer than a 22-fret neck (ie: your Epiphone Les Paul). A longer neck can mean the pickups (especially if u have 3 pickups instead of 2) and the bridge on a guitar will be positioned further down the body of the guitar compared to other guitars (so ie: if you want to palm mute strings of the bridge, your hand would need to rest further towards your right, away from the neck). It may not be the neck though, it may just be that the guitar is made this way too with differently positioned bridge/pickups on the body. This is my best guess to your problem...you'll probably feel more comfortable with a guitar that has the bridge/pickups closer to the neck end of the body (or closer to your fretting hand, in other words). In fact, i'll bet that where the 23/24th fret on your Ibanez now is where the end of your neck pickups used seem to be on your Epiphone Les Paul. If you want an Ibanez, i'd look for one with 2 sets of pickups instead of 3.

That Ibanez also has the volume knob very close to the bridge pickups so, along with the position of the pickups/bridge on the guitar body, that maybe be a reason why you're hitting the knob with your hand. I do the same on my Ibanez and I'm an average-sized guy, its annoying. IMO the volume knob is poorly placed on many of the Ibanez guitars.
Last edited by Barricade_28 at Apr 12, 2013,
Pictures, the pick is in the middle of the middle and the neck, regardless of what the pic leads you to believe. This is extremely uncomfortable for me on this guitar as well as I hit the volume knob when strumming.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p3gjafyw4hr8c0s/001.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfnjt0dd6fdk4ik/002.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jvg2mon0xexbjgz/003.JPG
https://www.dropbox.com/s/znvey1onz478zed/004.JPG
Last edited by HammerParty at Apr 12, 2013,