Recently I've been seeing lots of threads by people asking how to do truss rod adjustments and asking about the proper amount of relief in the neck.

My default answer to this question (and what every book or tech will tell you) is that the neck relief should be anywhere from .008 to .012 thousands of an inch being measured around the 7th or 8th fret while holding the first and last fret down.

The correct way to do this measurement is with a set of feeler gauges which you can find them at your local hardware or automotive store. A whole set of them shouldn't cost you more that $5.

I recently just found a video on YouTube by a tech explaining all of this and going over neck relief, neck bow, and proper neck curvature.

Let this video be a reference point for everyone asking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDIeida8-Kk
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Roc8995
Or you could go to the enormous setup sticky at the top of this forum

That's true, but apparently not many people bother to do that...
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by stonyman65
That's true, but apparently not many people bother to do that...

They won't read this either....

Or use google...
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by RockAddict311
Can you usually eyeball the gap at the 7th? Or is it often to small for the eye to see.

Not really. You can sight down the neck and see see if it is bowed or twisted, but that's about it.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by stonyman65
My default answer to this question (and what every book or tech will tell you) is that the neck relief should be anywhere from .008 to .012 thousands of an inch being measured around the 7th or 8th fret while holding the first and last fret down.

This is just me being facetious, but that comes to .000008 to .000012 of an inch.
Your flesh means more than you.
No profit...
For once no profit...

Quote by She
That's what.

CHECK IT OUT NOW
FUNK SOUL BROTHER
Quote by GazzaCee
This is just me being facetious, but that comes to .000008 to .000012 of an inch.

yeah
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Good video. My friend recently got into guitar and encountered problems with adjusting the truss rod. Since I won't be seeing him for a few weeks, I'll definitely refer him to this thread and video. Thanks stonyman65.
Quote by Kopp2
Just be like me. You will get cool by instant

Dayman

Master of karate and friendship for everyone
Quote by Doctor.Dolittle
Good video. My friend recently got into guitar and encountered problems with adjusting the truss rod. Since I won't be seeing him for a few weeks, I'll definitely refer him to this thread and video. Thanks stonyman65.

No problem dude. That's the whole point of this thread.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
+1 to davey4557's YouTube channel. All of his videos are excellent watch to learn anything guitar maintenancey.
I think the other point that people need to get is:

Its not going to explode and kill you if you try and adjust it.

New people seem to be terrified of touching the Truss.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb