Does anyone know anything about these guitars, I'm considering buying one mainly do to all the cool colors, but it felt and played really nice. They were all used guitars for $600 a piece. Any info you've got is appreciated.
Quote by gorgon666
Does anyone know anything about these guitars, I'm considering buying one mainly do to all the cool colors, but it felt and played really nice. They were all used guitars for $600 a piece. Any info you've got is appreciated.

not to be a jackass or anything, but you really should have done some searching before.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=charvel+so+cal+specs
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
They are pretty great guitars.

It's basically an old-school super strat - humbuckers, a floyd rose, and a flat neck with big frets.

If you like the look and feel of a strat but want the sound and playability of something like and Ibanez RG or a Jackson Dinky, thats the guitar for you.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
so cal's are awesome guitars, played one before. I had to settle for a Adrian Smith SDX though.
Quote by Rust_E_Stringz
so cal's are awesome guitars, played one before. I had to settle for a Adrian Smith SDX though.

I liked the SDX I played. Heavy (weight wise) as hell. Not that much different from the SoCal besides the pickups and basswood vs alder....
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
I love my SDX, did some pup swapping after I got sick of the plaino Jackson pup's that came with it. If you can't find the so cal you want the SDX is definitely a good alternative imo. I know some people are picky about everything on the guitar they want but, for me the SDX was a decent price range for a Jackson traditional "so cal'ish" strat style. Jake E. Lee had the baddest so cal around imo.
I don't think finding one will be a problem, my local music store has about 7 in stock.
$600? Snatch that up. SD JB/69 combo and a real FR? Yeah, they're rad. Plus the 12-16" compound radius is super comfortable.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I told you not to sell it, Tom. I spoke from experience.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I know

But I made so much money off it I was better off selling it.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
So one of these or a Jackson DK2S?
Last edited by gorgon666 at Apr 11, 2013,
I have one and I would recommend it to anybody looking for a floyd equipped guitar. First time I touched the neck I knew that I'm going to buy it. And I did. Yeah, I'm really happy with it though I think now I would prefer a single coil and vintage style tremolo equipped guitar. But that's just me.

The neck is just so awesome (though I have got used to it and it doesn't feel that special any more ).

Oh and @ JustRooster, the So Cal has Dimarzios. When I bought my So Cal, I compared it to San Dimas (that had Seymour Duncans) and I preferred the sound of the So Cal. Otherwise they are pretty much identical guitars. The only difference (other than the pickups) is the pickguard.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by gorgon666
So one of these or a Jackson DK2S?

the charvel (assuming it's an MIJ or MIA one)- better stock tremolo than the jackson.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
the charvel (assuming it's an MIJ or MIA one)- better stock tremolo than the jackson.

Though the Jackson has some cool features like sustainer. And it also has HSS pickups instead of two humbuckers (though IIRC, the "single coils" in that guitar are actually humbuckers in single coil size). If you want a good tremolo and don't care about single coils or sustainer pickups, then buy Charvel. I haven't tried the Jackson but if I was now considering between the Jackson and the Charvel, I think I would buy the Jackson. Again, that's just me. Of course I would need to try it first.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
You must be looking at one of the old so cals.

From what I recall, these were all MIJ, same factory as the jackson DK2s, DK2M, DKMG, (Essentially all of the 1997-2011 jackson dinky's, dont quote me on dates.) But that factory was shut down, and the so cals with it. You'll only find USA so cals (custom?) and the adrian smith sig in new condition.

These are great guitars, spec-wize and quality. The standard for MIJ guitars.

Charvel announced that the so cal guitars will begin production again during namm 2013. No word on country of production, final spec, or price. From what I've seen it will be very similar to the old production with a few changes: recessed floyd cavity, and with the factory change comes quality, finish, construction method, wood source and ever so small detail changes such as electronics, hardware materials, etc.

Just my knowledge,

EDIT: They're HERE! http://www.charvel.com/en-CA/guitars/?section=promod New coming june, still no word on country of production
???
Last edited by solidrane at Apr 11, 2013,
Quote by solidrane
You must be looking at one of the old so cals.

From what I recall, these were all MIJ, same factory as the jackson DK2s, DK2M, DKMG, (Essentially all of the 1997-2011 jackson dinky's, dont quote me on dates.) But that factory was shut down, and the so cals with it. You'll only find USA so cals (custom?) and the adrian smith sig in new condition.

These are great guitars, spec-wize and quality. The standard for MIJ guitars.

Charvel announced that the so cal guitars will begin production again during namm 2013. No word on country of production, final spec, or price. From what I've seen it will be very similar to the old production with a few changes: recessed floyd cavity, and with the factory change comes quality, finish, construction method, wood source and ever so small detail changes such as electronics, hardware materials, etc.

Just my knowledge,

EDIT: They're HERE! http://www.charvel.com/en-CA/guitars/?section=promod New coming june, still no word on country of production

I would bet India like the rest of the new Jacksons. I've played a few and to be honest they weren't that bad... Maybe not as nice of the older MIJ models, but still pretty good.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard
Quote by JKHC
IIRC, they're going to be made in Mexico.

i think i heard the same thing somewhere.

maybe the same facility that makes MIM Fenders? as they are held by fender.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
^ i heard the bolt-ons were gonna be MIM while the others were gonna be elsewhere (india? )

Quote by MaggaraMarine
Though the Jackson has some cool features like sustainer. And it also has HSS pickups instead of two humbuckers (though IIRC, the "single coils" in that guitar are actually humbuckers in single coil size). If you want a good tremolo and don't care about single coils or sustainer pickups, then buy Charvel. I haven't tried the Jackson but if I was now considering between the Jackson and the Charvel, I think I would buy the Jackson. Again, that's just me. Of course I would need to try it first.

oh yeah to a certain extent it does depend on what you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by JKHC
IIRC, they're going to be made in Mexico.

That's right! I forgot about that.

Yeah, they are being made in the Ensenada factory.

I believe the other Desolation models are being made somewhere in China.
Quote by strat0blaster

Quote by Cathbard