So I'm riding the John Mayer wave because why the **** not, he's amazing at guitar. Instead of typing more hooplah you guys won't even read I'll go straight to the important stuff.

Budget:
Eh, keep it under or around $1000.

New/Used:
Either, probably used in the end. Preferably US made, unless there's some killed Mex Strats that I'm ignorant of.

Options: I'll gladly look into G&L, Peavey T-60, etc.

Sound I want: All of that jangly jangly stuff you can get out of Yellow Ledbetter, but still with the ability to have some nice searing tone when it's pushed, maybe in the essence of Mayer's lead tone + some. I have an Orange Rockerverb 50 Mk II so I'm not exactly worried about my amp not covering any ground, I'm just looking for the right guitar to complement it.

Also, any thoughts/comments/concerns on Lace Sensors?

Last edited by polishedbullet at Apr 11, 2013,
The 2012 American Standard Strats should fit you just fine, they changed the pickups to the Custom Shop Fat 50s and I think they sound much better than the ones they used to use. You can always change them out later.

You pretty much know what you want, so it's not a science. Get an American Strat and forget about it. If you want Lace Sensors, build a pickguard with them that you can swap out with whatever else between string changes for something new.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
On the lower end of the price spectrum, the MIM Roadhouse Deluxe strats are good cause they've got the Texas Special pickups.

Otherwise, American Standard.
I'd say either an American Standard strat, or one of the higher-end Made in Mexico strats like the Classic Series or the Deluxe Series.

I've heard good things about G&L strats as well, but I can't really comment on that because I haven't played them.

Edit: Lace Sensor golds or blues might be what you are looking for. I like the Holy Grail pickups too.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Last edited by stonyman65 at Apr 11, 2013,
I have a 2011 american that I swapped the pickups out of immediately so I can't really comment on those. They were actually pretty good and I might put them back in though... Either way the 2012, as mentioned, has CS pickups.

I think the G&L...legacy (?), the American equivalent is GENERALLY a better guitar. I had to play a couple strats to get one I was happy with and even so it has some nasty intonation issues. All guitars have some form of it, of course. I played 3 G&Ls and they were all fantastic.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
i am not a huge SC guy, but i own a strat because everybody should own one (gone through ten or so). i use it a little bit here and there, but at one point i was considering a new 'strat,' i played a used G&L in local shop and it didn't feel as natural as the strat was for me.

i would play both.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Ledbetter. Yellow Ledbetter.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I have a vintage 69 strat that I managed to pick up from gumtree for £900. Look on used sites, don't rush in to buying an average guitar. American Standards are good, and all fenders sound different.. but even if you end up waiting for six months for a really good guitar to come up, you wont regret it.
I have no sig, and neither do I want one.
Look into Godin Progression & if one pops up used for cheap then Godin Passion RG3.

I'm not a fan of lace sensors, but I'm a fan of the new Dimarzio Areas 58/61/67 if you want really nice single coil tones minus the hum or look Kinmanns noiseless if you got the budget
Quote by jimmydvn
I have a vintage 69 strat that I managed to pick up from gumtree for £900. Look on used sites, don't rush in to buying an average guitar. American Standards are good, and all fenders sound different.. but even if you end up waiting for six months for a really good guitar to come up, you wont regret it.

Pics!
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

used American Standard should do you fine. i'm a big fan of Lace Sensor pups so i'll 2nd that suggestion. while your Orange isa fine amp it may not have the crystal cleans that meyer uses so keep that in mind.
Quote by icanhasgodmode
www.warmoth.com

You can make it as crazy as you want it to be.

I would agree with this, other guitarist in my band went down this route for his new Strat recently and the quality of the guitar was beautiful, and he got to choose everything down to the finest detail on how he wanted his guitar, it came in really competitive pricing wise.
Cornford Hellcat
Peavey 5150
1994 Ibanez Jem 7V
I've had a few G&L's, two being a Legacy. I'd say that if you're looking for the Mayer sound you'd probably be best served with a Fender. The Legacy is definitely more modern voiced, and feels like a different animal. It's chunkier and heavier for sure.

I've owned over 10 Strats and 2 of the G&L Legacy equivalents. I won't say either one is better. I'll say they're different, and one might be better for you than the other. Based on my experience, I'd say you'll want to err on the Fender side.

I'm a big fan of Lace Sensor Golds just like the other guys, but if you want jangly you won't get them from Lace. Their sound is very honed and compressed. I've had the Golds and a Blue/Gold/Red set in two Strats before. The sounds is great, but not 'jangly.'

For a good quack and slap sound I'd definitely recommend a 57/62 set. Probably my favorite "do it all" set in a Strat. Mayer uses the Big Dippers.

Also realize that most of Mayer's sound comes from those awesome, awesome Two Rock amps.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Last edited by JustRooster at Apr 12, 2013,
Thanks for the advice, guys! I'll probably start looking into an American Standard relatively soon. What are some good prices for a used one? The ones I've seen on ebay are typically $800-900.

Also, olympic white with a rosewood fretboard...
I've seen them go as low as $600, but those are usually modded. Those guitars are like frankensteins though, all you really need is the body and the neck and then let your imagination put the rest together.

$800 for a good condition factory Strat is pretty good, but you can definitely get lower.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE