I am looking to replace my current humbuckers in my Ibanez GAX 70, to something with a better sound. My playing style is mixed between classic rock, metal, alternative, and hard rock. Help is greatly appreciated.
Hate to do the usual nit-picking, but what's your amp? If it's very good (read: VERY good), you'd be able to just switch the pickups instead of a new guitar (which I suggest too, but not before an amp). If not, I suggest a new amp (not gonna make suggestions here), since your pickups won't make a difference if the amp's not one of good quality.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Judging by the amp's price and the fact that its a 10 watt solid state, I'm guessing its a practice amp (haven't played it, so it's just a guess). This is where a new amp would come in to play, and I'll leave you to settle that elsewhere. After that (and assuming you still like the overall feel/play of your guitar) you'd go for the pickups.
Charvel So-Cal (SH6TB/N, killswitch), Jackson RR5FR (TB6/Jazz, Drop C). Joyo pxl pro.
Loop1=Crybaby from hell, Boss PS-5, Seymour Duncan 805 or Green Rhino, EQD Hoof or Earthbound Audio Super Collider. Loop 1 into ISP Decimator II.
Loop 2 (FX loop)-Line6 M9, TC Spark Mini. Loop 2 into mxr 10band. All into a Peavey Triple XXX 212, Ibanez IL15.
Yeah. If you want better tone, amp should come first. Also your guitar is a starter guitar. You might not want to spend too much money on that because you'll need a new guitar some time. (Something that feels better in your hands and has a better building quality and sound. You might not even need to upgrade your new guitar.)
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115