Hey guys, I am searching for an amp that is versatile enough to go from jazz to metal (death metal, deathcore, metalcore, black metal, thrash, you name it). I would prefer a combo amp under 2000 CAN$ (which is around 1970 US$). Any brands will do, all I am looking for is an amp that can go from a smooth, warm clean/jazz tone to high gain crushing metal while going to hard rock, punk and blues.

TL;DR: Versatile amp under 2000$.

Thanks!

EDIT: I would prefer a combo amp if possible. Thanks!
Ayy there
Last edited by metalhead983877 at Apr 11, 2013,
Take a look at higher-watt Oranges (the 200-watt one especially, can't remember the name). They are capable of really clean vintage tones while delivering a lot of gain. That's not your typical Marshall/Mesa gain, though.
Another suggestion would be a used Mark V combo. The most versatile amp out there.
Quote by metalhead983877
Hey guys, I am searching for an amp that is versatile enough to go from jazz to metal (death metal, deathcore, metalcore, black metal, thrash, you name it). I would prefer a combo amp under 2000 CAN$ (which is around 1970 US$). Any brands will do, all I am looking for is an amp that can go from a smooth, warm clean/jazz tone to high gain crushing metal while going to hard rock, punk and blues.

TL;DR: Versatile amp under 2000$.

Thanks!

A used Mark V or Mark IV.

High gain to everything else... Incredibly flexible.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
To suggest something different than what has already been suggested:

Try a Roland Jazz Chorus. It's an excellent amp.
You'll just need to throw a distortion pedal (like the Wampler Triple Wreck, for example) in front of it for metal stuff.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Unless you get something like an Axe FX, 11rack, POD HD you will have a hard time getting that wide of a variety from 1 amp.

The Mesa Mark IV/V is a great choice. Peavey JSX if you want less expensive. You will need a pedal to get death metal gain out of either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
The Mesa Mark IV/V is a great choice. Peavey JSX if you want less expensive. You will need a pedal to get death metal gain out of either.

This. A Mesa Mark would be ideal but a JSX would be a cheap and acceptable way out of it.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1588782

Offer him $600. You'll have money to spare to get whatever pedal takes your fancy.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I also like Orange. I have an Egnator tube amp right now. The tweaker, to be specific. It can do sooooo many different tones by itself, and it won't break your bank. Can't use a footswitch at all. I agree with some of the above comments. You will have to put a decent pedal in front of the amp for the metal-ly sounds. I have a Metal Muff myself.
Hayden Mofo 100. Truely excellent cleans & can handle most metal. Will probably struggle if you want something thrashy & crisp. Not too dissimilar to the Orange Rockerverb but without the pricetag.
Mark IV/V. That is only if you're fine/good at tweaking amps.

I own a Mark V and have played a Mark IV multiple times. I find the Mark V to have better clean and crunch tones, while the Mark IV is better at metal (IMO but then again I don't play any form of metal anymore). Play both and see which sounds better to your ears. It would be really helpful to bring a few presents for each amp, as Mesa's controls act differently that most amps. Google search the Boogie Board and they have various threads on presents for both amps.

And as you're sending that kind of money, be sure to play as many amps as you can before settling on one. Nothing worst than being unhappy with an amp you paid 2k for 3 months later, haha.

Best of luck.
Check out the 5150 III. A Mesa Mark IV might be good, but it's not for everyone. It has a pretty distinct sound.

As said, the JSX is a beast for versatility on a budget.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thats exactly how I use my Royal Atlantic, for mynJazz Funk band and for Sludge, Thrash and Alt. Metal.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Quote by metalhead983877
One of my friends recommended me the Peavey 6505+ 112 combo. Is it a good choice ?

For metal the 6505+ is good, but not for anything clean.

Look for a used Peavey JSX/XXX/Ultra combo. They can do what your wanting quite well.
A Mesa Mark IV would be good also
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Eh....

I would say maybe an ENGL. Invader or the Steve Morse sig.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Perverockstar69
Thats exactly how I use my Royal Atlantic, for mynJazz Funk band and for Sludge, Thrash and Alt. Metal.
That is when you are brave enough to take it to a gig.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
i would also recommend a mark IV or V. i have the IV and i am very satisfied with it. i got it for $875.

dial up the second channel right, throw a boost up in front adding just a little bit of gain, i use my timmy. volume 75% gain 33% and adjust the rest for taste. it just sounds massive. i don't have anything to use recording it, but it kills. then you still have the clean and lead channel. plus you can use the GEQ footswitchable, which can do a lot.

V's are nice as well, i haven't had much play time with one. i actually saw it used at a small local shop (stupid high price), but they are nice to work with. cleans on the V are better IMO, but i do agree that unboosted the third channel of the IV seemed a little more metal orientated, i agree with the previous poster.

i am sure i will get a MKV as well, but it wouldn't replace my IV.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
5150 III combo with an AT7 in V1 will do nicely.
Ibanez RGT6 EXFX
Fender American Stratocaster
Epiphone Slash Goldtop Les Paul
Carvin DC-135
Washburn G-5V
Taylor 214CEG

EVH 5150 III
Peavey 6505+
Line 6 Flextone III
50s Valco Supro
The Mark series is known to be extremely versatile. Id also suggest you look into the Mesa Roadster since the roadking may be out of your budget. Also check out the Orange Rockerverb 50 MKII. I own one and its capable of doing wonderful cleans and crunch as well as get dirty into heavier gain.
Quote by Robbgnarly
Unless you get something like an Axe FX, 11rack, POD HD you will have a hard time getting that wide of a variety from 1 amp.

I recommend this route. My new guitarist showed me his Axe FX I, which he got for right around $1000 USD a couple years ago, with his Mesa 50/50 Power Amp he got for $800, and he got me sold on these set ups.
I don't use as many effects as him, so I didn't need an Axe FX. I got an Eleven Rack, with the expansion pack for around $400 USD (and $98 USD for the expansion), then got a Crown XLS1000 power amp for $300 USD new. I had my Avatar cab, but I got that for $250 USD. So for well under your budget you can go that route, and get ANY tone you want. I always gave people who used simulated stuff shit, but the True Z input makes it just as responsive as a real amp, and sound just like a real one. Really opened my eyes, and I'm beyond satisfied with all the tones.
It also has an Mesa Mark V sim.
And lots of downloadable tones from
http://www.elevenrackpresets.com/Search-dir.html
Check into those.
Guitar gear used:
LTD EC-1000 Sunburst (jb/'59)
'94 Peavey Reactor EMG loaded
Eleven Rack
Crown XLS1000
Carvin Neo 2x10 and 1x15
Spaun Drum Kit
Kemper! You can virtually have any amp with that thing!

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Orange Rocker 15
Marshall Class 5C
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
Yamaha THR10
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
LTD Viper 500 with Duncans
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Apr 13, 2013,