Hey guys, got another cover for you guys. This time it is Sleepwalker by Parkway Drive. Check it out and let me know what you think. If you want a critique in return, leave a URL.

https://soundcloud.com/coreyculler/sleepwalker
Quote by satanicgurrl
Is this amazing? Could it be?
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• ESP LTD EC-1000 Black Cherry
  • Hartke LH500 Full Stack
  • Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Sounds pretty good, I think you pretty much nailed the tone. In terms of the playing, again it was pretty good. Could perhaps be tightened up in places, and also there seemed to be a lack of harmonising guitar parts in some places. Also the vocals I felt were possibly not as expressive as McCall's original vocals; they seemed to be just the same sort of pitch and intensity all the way through. Other than that, not too shabby whatsoever. Keep at it
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by eddiehimself
Sounds pretty good, I think you pretty much nailed the tone. In terms of the playing, again it was pretty good. Could perhaps be tightened up in places, and also there seemed to be a lack of harmonising guitar parts in some places. Also the vocals I felt were possibly not as expressive as McCall's original vocals; they seemed to be just the same sort of pitch and intensity all the way through. Other than that, not too shabby whatsoever. Keep at it

It's pretty compressed, but other than that yeah I was having trouble doing some of the sounds he makes. I think he uses a condenser mic for the vocals on that song (I'm using an SM7b) so it doesn't have quite the same oomph as the original vocals do. Could also just be a mixing thing, haven't quite figured out how he gets his vocal tone.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Had a quick listen on my phone, and vocals seem too loud in mix - maybe because the phone has sod all low-end response but I'd have expected to hear more of the backing Vocal-wise it was good but I thought I could hear clipping in some louder parts, maybe the phone speaker though, and as said before you've nailed his deep tone pretty well but not the higher, screamier parts.

Posting now in the hope that somebody else posts after so this is in my subscribed threads with new posts when I log in later in my mix room!
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Yeah the song is pretty bass heavy so that's probably why the vocals are too loud. I'll back off the volume a bit.
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro
Quote by Lovecannon
It's pretty compressed, but other than that yeah I was having trouble doing some of the sounds he makes. I think he uses a condenser mic for the vocals on that song (I'm using an SM7b) so it doesn't have quite the same oomph as the original vocals do. Could also just be a mixing thing, haven't quite figured out how he gets his vocal tone.

I agree that the volume needs to come down a bit but I was talking more about the performance rather than the recording. Exactly as the other guy says, the bulk of the sound is there, it's just the higher pitched parts that could do with being improved. From a recording point of view, lots of compression, maybe even a bit of distortion, is what you want when doing hard vocals. I wouldn't get too hung up on microphone choice: the SM7 is a good vocal microphone.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Apr 11, 2013,
Well I went ahead and remixed it so it should sound better now
Quote by satanicgurrl
This newly posted mp3

Quoth the server "4 0 3"

Official Gain Wh0re

Gear:

• Line 6 Pod HD Pro