I'm trying not to make this a 'which amp' thread but i suppose it is. I've been playing with an 11r and Power Engine for a while now, and although it sounds pretty good for practice and jamming, it just doesnt have the feel of a valve amp, so I sold it. For practice in my house I just use Amplitube - that has my Slash cravings covered as ive got the AFD100 on there. For gigging though, I don't want to sound like Slash...

...but naturally my style and tone is in the ballpark - I play Les Pauls and love the tone of a Marshall. I've been to a few gigs recently where I've seen guitarists use 800s and get great lead tones... The problem is, a new Marshall is pricey and to my ears a bit naff... the DSL40C is OK but not quite 'it' - plus i begrudge paying for 2 lead channels I wouldnt use! Ive been looking at a used JCM800 or a Silver Jubilee if one ever becomes available.

Is used my best option? Is there anything out there new that is going to get me into the marshall territory? I dont mind buying a few pedals to help.

My budget is about £600 and obviously my style is rock - GnR, Led Zep, AC/DC, Hendrix, RATM... I dont mind the idea of used but new offers things like warranties! Any thoughts on going used?

What do you guys reckon? A used 800/Jub or is there something new out there? Ive not tried a Vintage Modern but have heard they are fizzy and bright - I like the meatiness of an 800 and smoothness of a Jubilee - any thoughts on this?

Roughly translated
: budget £600, style rock, what amp should I get?
that doesnt leave me with much for a decent cab though...

I tried the HT40 and found it lacking in oomph - it sounded decent enough but wasn't exciting. I don't know whether that could have been the speaker, so a head and cab might be better... They wouldnt let me push it too hard though, and gave me a guitar I didn't like at all - I could maybe try the HT40 with my own guitar, but I couldnt help feeling underwhelmed... Lovely cleans though...
I think you could pickup a used JCM 800 head for about £550-£600 but you'd not have anything for a cab. Why not go for a combo?

Item number:

Would leave you with loads of cash for some effects. I'd buy a tube screamer & a cry baby wah - use the wah as a boost for solo's with it just turned on and all the way down. It's how tom morello achieves a lot of his sound.
Yeah I was thinking it would be an 800 combo rather than head and cab just because of budget. I'd want 2x12 though (which that is but the blackstar combos aren't)

What are your thoughts on going used? Is it not an issue that its nearly 30 years old?

I have a wah pedal and an OCD clone which helps!
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
Ive not tried a Vintage Modern but have heard they are fizzy and bright - I like the meatiness of an 800 and smoothness of a Jubilee - any thoughts on this?

before you go any further try a vintage modern.

seriously.

now i personally prefer the head over the combo, but the head and a good 212 cab would work well imo.
Can he afford a VM and a good cab?
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
whats up with the VM combo?

Is it not thin sounding? I've heard it is but never had any experience myself. I think my local guitar shop has a combo for sale used for £679 but ive seen them go for £350-400 - might try it though.

could possibly afford head and cab if I got a harley benton g212v
try it at volume and come back and tell us what you think.

bring your LP and a decent cable, spend some time with it.

i wouldn't consider it thin sounding myself, but what you think is most important here.

Quote by slashs_#1_fan
whats up with the VM combo?

it's just my personal opinion that the amp sounds better with a closed back cab rather than the open back of the combo.

just a preference thing. ymmv and all that.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Apr 11, 2013,
Cool, ill give it a go. Hadn't really considered a VM because of what I had heard. I'm guessing the general consensus is that a used Marshall would suit me better than anything I could get new?
Quote by slashs_#1_fan
Cool, ill give it a go. Hadn't really considered a VM because of what I had heard. I'm guessing the general consensus is that a used Marshall would suit me better than anything I could get new?

i just think you should try that amp. for what you want to do i think it would work out well. i'm sure there are other amps that would as well, try a bunch.

i just think you should try the VM, it could be what you are looking for from what you've posted here.

always explore as many options as you can, that way when you make a decision you have personal experience to go from.
Quote by gregs1020

i just think you should try the VM

I certainly will, thank you for the help.

I've tried a DSL40c and a Blackstar HT40, some sort of 30w tubescreamer combo (dont know why) and im still looking, so ill give a VM a go an then explore the used options on that if I like it.

The only problem with going used is usually the lack of being able to try it; I'm lucky I can try a vintage modern but I can't most other things, so I do agree that going out and trying things is the best option but I can't see much left to try unless i'm missing something! Cheers for your help
I'd go used, just as what you can get for your money is greatly increased.

I used to practice somewhere that had an old JCM800 head + 4x12 cab. The tone that thing could produce was incredible.