hey there!

im a 17 yr old guitarist/bassist/singer whos looking for a new guitar around 20 000 swedish kronor ( around 3150 USD ) ( im saving up for it by myself so i wont buy it untill the summer arrives)
i mostly play chords and pluck to when im singing, but i also love to fingerpicking whith beautiful melodies, like tommy emmanuels ¨one christmas night¨ and ¨papa george¨ (the first being my favorite acoustic song^^)

at first i wanted a gibson songwriter studio cutaway, but now that i actually found a store that has one in stock, i also got to try a gibson j-200 standard thats around 23000 sek over here in sweden (3600 usd)and just wow...
that thing blew me away!

i have read on several reviews of the j-200 that you have to go through alot of them to find a good one, and when it's good, its magical. so i was wondering...
not very good at acoustics ( i play electric guitar for the most part ) and so it might be a shitty guitar, and i just dont know it... but what should i look for when it comes to these prices in a acoustic guitar? it feels very good to play, which i know is the main thing to look for, however im not overly fond of the lacquered neck... but those things can be fixed!

any answer is much appreciated ^^
/ jonatan
If you're more of an electric player why are you spending over 3 grand on ana acoustic?! How does a 17 year old even get that kind of money.

I've always loved J-45's.
Gear:

Gibson 2005 Les Paul Standard
Fender Road Worn Strat w/ Noiseless pickups
Marshall JCM 2000 401C
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266
Marshall 1960A cab (Dave Hill from Slade's old cab)
Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Little Big Muff
Freshman Acoustic
Quote by ProphetToJables
If you're more of an electric player why are you spending over 3 grand on ana acoustic?! How does a 17 year old even get that kind of money.

I bought a PRS when I was 17 and a Taylor when I was 18. Having a job and not having to pay rent because I lived with my parents, then in a college dormitory made it very easy. Now that I have car payments and rent it's a lot harder....

Anyway

What it honestly comes down to is how much you like the guitar. You might find you like something that costs a lot less than your budget. I was looking at spending around the same you were and ended up with a guitar close to $1000USD cheaper because it was better than the rest of the ones I tried. Obviously, good action and intonation are important just like on an electric. Finding a body shape and size you want is very important too. Dreadnoughts and jumbos CAN be uncomfortable to play for long periods of time if you're on the smaller side. 00s and 000s respond faster but have less OOMPH to their sound.

The best thing to do is go play as many as you possibly can, ignoring the price tag, and get the one you like the most.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Quote by ProphetToJables

well i play everything that has to do whith a guitar, so not exclusively electric. i play a lot of tommy emmanuel like i said, and i just find that my current hagstrom acoustic is nowhere near the sound that i want... plus i think that if i can and want, i should
and i can afford this because i have a job, and i saved up for this for a while now^^ i allways cherrish it more if i had to work for it.
and i dont know... the j-45's round shoulder just dont do it for me :/
Quote by Artemis Entreri
I bought a PRS when I was 17 and a Taylor when I was 18. Having a job and not having to pay rent because I lived with my parents, then in a college dormitory made it very easy. Now that I have car payments and rent it's a lot harder....

Anyway

What it honestly comes down to is how much you like the guitar. You might find you like something that costs a lot less than your budget. I was looking at spending around the same you were and ended up with a guitar close to $1000USD cheaper because it was better than the rest of the ones I tried. Obviously, good action and intonation are important just like on an electric. Finding a body shape and size you want is very important too. Dreadnoughts and jumbos CAN be uncomfortable to play for long periods of time if you're on the smaller side. 00s and 000s respond faster but have less OOMPH to their sound.

The best thing to do is go play as many as you possibly can, ignoring the price tag, and get the one you like the most.

agree, its quite easy to save up for stuff when you have a job and still live at home.
and i understand what you mean about liking the guitar no matter the price tag. before the songwriter and j-200, i was sure the taylor 414 was my dream guitar. but now when i tried the j-200, the 414 sounds and plays like a factory guitar if you know what i mean? it sounds great and was flawlessly built, but it has very little emotion compared to the
j-200...
and the size is not an issue, i stand at 6'3
well thanks for the response i will keep looking and see if i find one that i like more^^
cheers!
The best advice I can give is that you take someone knowledgable with you when you go shopping for a guitar-especially if a Gibson is on your list. I have found them to be the least consistent of any maker, both in terms of build quality and tone.
In my opinion the best acoustic Gibson build today is the Advanced Jumbo (AJ).

Personally I'd be looking elsewhere than Gibson. Within your budget there are many makers delivering a far superior product. Take for example Yamaha's 'L' series. The LL26 is a superb, hand-built instrument.
to me, tone is the first thing an exceptional guitar should deliver. the catch is that people who haven't played a lot of acoustic guitars often haven't really developed their tonal preferences. i was one such person, and kept buying guitars that weren't right for me over and over - sometimes for several thousand dollars each - and selling them. next comes playability, including the right nut width, neck width and profile. and comfort - if a guitar is uncomfortable to play, i don't want to play it. build quality is nice, with clean joints and bracing and including great finish, etc, but it isn't something i'm as concerned with if the guitar sounds and feels great.

then there's the question of how the guitar will be played. i love lush overtones and lots of bass, but if i want a guitar to play leads with or to play with other guitars, it makes more sense to get a guitar with a strong fundamental. i prefer a resonant guitar, but if one is going to be playing old country style blues, sometimes a small, less resonant guitar makes more sense.

i love some gibsons, and disagree that other makers deliver a superior product. they deliver a different product, but not necessarily superior. i love the j-45 and pretty much every gibson jumbo i've played.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
you know the cool thing about having a GREAT guitar Jonatan? because it's a better instrument, you tend to practice harder to "live up to" the guitar. if that's what you want...then by all means get it as long as they don't come and repossess your car because you spent you car payment on the Gibby ! i'm kinda in the same boat, i worked at a job for almost 20 years and never spent more than $100 a month( job paid for food,clothing,housing- not as nice as it sounds... crappy MRE's, same outfit for months at a time, sleeping on a good night with 39 other guys, mostly on rooftops and ditches..but you get the picture). i gave my pay to a good financial planner and now that i'm "retired" i have enough to keep me for quite some time. i spend a lot of money on guitars but i believe i've earned the right...same as you have. get the gibby if that's the one that "calls " to you.
i prefer Taylors and Ovations myself, haven't had a lot of experience with Gibsons...yet.
At that price level, it should have all top quality features. Solid wood top and body (your choice of tone woods to suit the sound you want to create)... genuine bone nut and saddle... very good tuners (I like 18:1 ratio Grovers)... perfectly level frets... low action... very good intonation (use a digital tuner to set the strings and then check the notes as you play each fret going down the neck. they should all be right on, not going flat or sharp)... proper strap buttons with screws so they can be replaced with strap-lock buttons very easily... some nice inlay would be esthetically pleasing... I guess maybe a good pickup would be useful, although I don't know what kind is best because I don't ever plug in... and finally, of course, a really good case !

My advice about the "big name brands" is that they usually give you a good product, but it's very over-priced. I think I would rather buy something a little more ordinary and then spend some money on having it set up to my exact specifications.

Have fun... and good luck !
Last edited by Prescott_Player at Apr 15, 2013,
in case someone is wondering, i bought a furch d-35 which was considerably cheaper and more martin-ish in tone at around 18000sek (ca 2760$). unfortunately it didn't come whith a mic so i used the money i saved on the best mic i could afford, and let let me tell ya... i found god in a little store in central stockholm, in the shape of a guitar... its simply amazing! incredibly clear and yet very powerful my uncle who has played for 35 years and almost makes a living of it, played it and he said that it could replace his d-45 And it came with a very nice case so i think i found my soulmate for the rest of my life even if it would be my last resort to sell it i wouldn't! id shoot myself and then have someone bury it with me :P
you'll have to post us some nice pics of it jonathon. and congrats, i hope you enjoy it. i'd really like to see some pics of the guitar shaped store too...the layout has to be pretty interesting !
(personally, i wish you'd have spent $10,000 on one just to piss off that prophet guy some more !! )
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Last edited by stepchildusmc at Aug 20, 2013,
For me it's all about the feel of the neck and the action (but of course this can/should be adjusted).

In your price range, you should be looking at Taylors, at least to give you something to contrast the Gibsons with.
Guitars: Carvin TL-60T, Carvin C750 Acoustic, Squier Strat w/Carvin C22B & AP11's, Alvarez-Yairi DY76 12-string, Eastman MD-605 Mandolin, Fender Mandocaster, Ibanez UKS-10 Ukulele
Quote by stepchildusmc
you'll have to post us some nice pics of it jonathon. and congrats, i hope you enjoy it. i'd really like to see some pics of the guitar shaped store too...the layout has to be pretty interesting !
(personally, i wish you'd have spent $10,000 on one just to piss off that prophet guy some more !! )

haha actually i meant i found god and he is a guitar XD and sure! i will post some pics. it is a really simple looking guitar but it has some nice details, like wooden tuners, a incredibly smooth fretboard and finish. looks like a low end martin but sounds like a million bucks :P
hmmm balance note to note, how the chords blend together and how they standout when individually picked. Get one with decent pickup/preamp. If you like TE, maybe a Larrivie would be in order? To me the thing that seals the deal is just the vibe I get off the guitar, which is all personal preference. Does this guitar want to work with me or against me? Is it going to show me stuff I didn't even know I could play? My current fave, one I bought on last trip over Martins, Taylors etc is Yamaha AC3R. Maybe far too inexpensive for you! Has all I want in a guitar, it is the one I go to. And I have others that cost 2-3x as much. But that is just me.