I have had a cover of Storytime by Nightwish on my SoundCloud account for a long time. A tonne of listens and over 100 downloads (having downloads was probably a bad idea but I wasn't expecting it to get as many listens as it did).

I recorded it from scratch. Used MIDI keyboards, Superior Drummer 2.0 and recorded the bass and guitar. No vocals or anything from the original track.

I'm not too bothered about it being taken down because I use SoundCloud as more of a "sending-half-finished-recordings-to-people" thing but does recording it from scratch, saying its a cover and not earning money from it count as a copyright claim?

I'm not going to dispute it or anything, I'm just intrigued.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
Yes.
Guitasr:
Cort KX-Custom
ESP LTD M-200FM
Amp:
Engl Powerball
Misc:
Focusrite Scarlet 2i4
The misconception is that it's okay to post something copyrighted if you don't make money off of it. While that would be a bigger issue, the real problem is that if your cover was good enough, people might download it instead of purchasing the original.

TL;DR You may be shorting the artist money
I tried to make my recording as accurate as possible and I think it must have picked up the intro melody which would probably sound more or less the same on the original track and midi. I had it up for about a year and its only now just been flagged so either someones reported it or they've updated their check system with the song recently. I dunno lol.

Don't wanna get bummed in prison, thats fo show.
MY METALZ YOUTUBE CHANNEL

Quote by angusfan16
Okay UG where's my refund and free xbox. I need It for my 80 yr old grandma. She needs a new flower pot
I'd have to say, it's very possible you are going to be raped in prison. I suggest starting kegels regularly, and practice your pelvic defense strategies as well.
Quote by ne14t
I like a man's cream on my face every morning before my tea.

My girlfriend and her mom see each other nude daily for some weird reason
Quote by Metalisnotmusic
I'd have to say, it's very possible you are going to be raped in prison. I suggest starting kegels regularly, and practice your pelvic defense strategies as well.

+1
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
It is a copyright infringement because you are not licensed to use the artist's composition.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Is it the same with words? Could I come up with new words/combinations and apply for copyright on them? This just gave me a great business plan...
Quote by MetalMullet
Is it the same with words? Could I come up with new words/combinations and apply for copyright on them? This just gave me a great business plan...

It doesn't quite work that way...
Quote by leony03
I have had a cover of Storytime by Nightwish on my SoundCloud account for a long time. A tonne of listens and over 100 downloads (having downloads was probably a bad idea but I wasn't expecting it to get as many listens as it did).

I recorded it from scratch. Used MIDI keyboards, Superior Drummer 2.0 and recorded the bass and guitar. No vocals or anything from the original track.

I'm not too bothered about it being taken down because I use SoundCloud as more of a "sending-half-finished-recordings-to-people" thing but does recording it from scratch, saying its a cover and not earning money from it count as a copyright claim?

I'm not going to dispute it or anything, I'm just intrigued.

Unfortunately it is still the bands material and they have the right to request and covers or tributes be removed, stopped or ceased. Some cases yeah shut them down if they are making money or something; however in this case I would consider it going a bit too far I mean it is only a cover. But yeah they are fully within their legal right to ask for it to be removed.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5