Dear musicians,

I've been thinking about buying an overdrive effectpedal to add some flavour to my tone. But the more I search for great pedals, the less sure I become. There are so many unique pedals with their own sound and versitality..

My current setup: Blues Junior with a mexican Strat and a Gibson Les Paul. I mainly use a Boss DS2 and a Crybaby Wah for certain songs. Genres I play most are blues, rock and indie. Bands like Arctic Monkeys, Oasis, Foo Fighters, Gaslight Anthem, Chili Peppers and also guitarists like SRV, John Mayer and Gary Moore are my main influences.

I'm looking for an overdrive pedal that gives me that extra boost when I'm using my Strat. For example, when I'm playing Arctic Monkeys, my tone is kind of fragile. I'm looking for a thicker more 'poppier/chunkier' rythm sound.

But I also want to add a little (vintage overdriven) edge to my tone when soloing.

I'm currently comparing the Fulltone OCD with the Ibanez TS 808. Could someone give me some advice? Other recommendations are also welcome.

Rock on \m/

Joris
Klon?
Mojohand FX Rook?
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
I had a Mex fat strat & I bought an Ibanez TS-9 which is almost identical to the TS808. It was fantastic. The Digitech Bad Monkey does the same job though (as far as I can hear) & can be tweaked easier.

Use the overdrive pedal & your amps distortion for your crunch tone & use the boss distortion for lead parts/heavier parts.
Check out the "Swollen Pickle" by Way Huge Electronics. It's similar to a tubescreamer with the addition of a "Scoop" and "Crunch" adjustment. You don't lose as much low end with that pedal as you would with the tubescreamer - that's my only gripe about my tubescreamer.
Quote by Dimarzio45
Check out the "Swollen Pickle" by Way Huge Electronics. It's similar to a tubescreamer with the addition of a "Scoop" and "Crunch" adjustment. You don't lose as much low end with that pedal as you would with the tubescreamer - that's my only gripe about my tubescreamer.

The Pickle is a fuzz - you can tweak it to sound similar to a TS, but they are different.

Fuzz works best on a clean channel and is it's own base tone. It's more similar to a distortion effect than a boost effect.

Boosts are designed to add a bit of dirt to push a tube amp into overdrive.

A good cheap boost is the Digitech Bad Monkey. A better cheap boost it the Digitech Hardwire CM2 - which is basically a BM with an additional modern setting.
Rawkworks Light Drive-This is cool and Klon inspired. It might work for what you want.

Rawkworks Night Drive-It's a more gained up version of the Light Drive, if it's too mild for you.

ProCo Rat (old version)-Back off the distortion to before it starts sounding fuzzy and you get the pop/rock indie rhythm tone.

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive MOD-This is Sparkle Drive, but with other switchable mods already in it. If you like the TS808 and modded tubescreamer sound, you'll probably like it. You can blend some clean tone in for a more transparent and less compressed overdrive.

Fulltone OCD-It might work with some tweaking. This pedal can sound very thick though, so be careful with how much gain you dial in.

Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET-It's more mild and refined than the OCD, but the MOSFET mode and boost (just an extra gain boost for the overdrive) can make it sound very crunchy. You also get some nice low gain tones and a very open clean boost mode.

Also look into the Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive, Visual Sound Route 808 (cool bass boost), and Visual Sound Open Road, Boss Blues Drive, and Boss OD-3, for more affordable options.

For really cheap options look into the Digitech Bad Monkey, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Joyo Ultimate Drive, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive (v1), etc.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
Quote by 667
The Pickle is a fuzz - you can tweak it to sound similar to a TS, but they are different.

Fuzz works best on a clean channel and is it's own base tone. It's more similar to a distortion effect than a boost effect.

Boosts are designed to add a bit of dirt to push a tube amp into overdrive.

A good cheap boost is the Digitech Bad Monkey. A better cheap boost it the Digitech Hardwire CM2 - which is basically a BM with an additional modern setting.

Crap! I meant the Green Rhino! Not the Swollen Pickle...haha
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 11, 2013,
I've been through a lot of pedals, but the only one I've bought twice is the Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET. It just sounds the best to my ears... well, for under $200 anyways.

If you don't mind shelling out the big bucks look at the okko diablo. <3
Quote by Dimarzio45

My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by Maineguitarist

You didn't read through. He corrected. It was a typo :P

He followed up with... "Crap! I meant the Green Rhino! Not the Swollen Pickle...haha"
Last edited by 667 at Apr 12, 2013,
Quote by 667
You didn't read through. He corrected. It was a typo :P

He followed up with... "Crap! I meant the Green Rhino! Not the Swollen Pickle...haha"

Yeah, it helps to read all the way through the thread.
Last edited by Dimarzio45 at Apr 12, 2013,
Sounds to me like what you really need is a hefty mid boost à la the Clapton and Sambora systems. Unless you want to add transistor clipping, try just using an EQ pedal set for a huge bump in the mids as well as an overall level boost. This will thicken the sound of your single coils and it'll naturally drive the amp harder to get more 'edge'.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
subdecay liquid sunshine, zendrive, cmat mods signa drive or butah drive, fulltone fulldrive, something from love pedal
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)