Hi all. I've got a Danelectro Cool Cat Fuzz that I've had for ages and it's not working properly. I would like to repair it and modify it to turn it into a Tube Screamer similar to an Ibanez TS9. Would this be possible and how?
Pics:

Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website
No you cannot, that's not how electronics work.

You can repair it certainly if you know what you're doing, but the dano's circuit is nowhere close to the ts9's. With the right tweaking (basically adding an input volume to act like a volume control rolled back) it could be used as a low gain fuzz which is similar to an overdrive but nothing like the ts9's massive midrange and symmetrical clipping.

The biggest hurdle is the fact that about half of the dano uses micro components which are beyond the work ability of all but the most skilled solder-jockeys. So pretty much you could get it fixed or fix it if it's only an external (jack, pots, switch) or normal size component (the red and silver caps) but if it's any of the SMD components it's going to take a professional to fix, at which point it would be cheaper to buy a new one.
Quote by tukk04
No you cannot, that's not how electronics work.

You can repair it certainly if you know what you're doing, but the dano's circuit is nowhere close to the ts9's. With the right tweaking (basically adding an input volume to act like a volume control rolled back) it could be used as a low gain fuzz which is similar to an overdrive but nothing like the ts9's massive midrange and symmetrical clipping.

The biggest hurdle is the fact that about half of the dano uses micro components which are beyond the work ability of all but the most skilled solder-jockeys. So pretty much you could get it fixed or fix it if it's only an external (jack, pots, switch) or normal size component (the red and silver caps) but if it's any of the SMD components it's going to take a professional to fix, at which point it would be cheaper to buy a new one.

Oh, ok. Thanks mate.
Quote by treborillusion
Low end Epiphone = fire wood.

LTD Surveyor 4
Kramer Imperial
Engl Gigmaster E315
Marshall 1936 JCM900 lead cab
My website