Alright, so I've not played my guitar in a while but recently got back into it. It's a Kramer Pacer Classic, about 3 years old, with a licensed Floyd Rose trem (not a "real" one) and I feel like it needs a bit of TLC.

Got a few questions about how best to approach things though.

1) I want to clean the fretboard, but it's going to be much easier to do it without any strings on. This seems to be a tricky topic to get an answer on: is it "safe" to take off all the strings from a FR guitar if you block it off from behind to stop it digging into the body?

2) I get an odd sort of chiming/ringing when I play certain frets, is this just an issue of the action being too low? It's not restricted to any one string or area of the fretboard.

3) The panel that covers the springs etc. on the back of the guitar is held in place by 6 screws that go straight into the wood, but after taking it off maybe half a dozen times, the holes that they go into are completely worn away so some of the screws barely stay in place. Any fixes?

4) Screws again! The ones that adjust the spring tension have completely mashed heads from where I stupidly used the wrong sized screwdriver at some point. You can barely adjust them at all which is a complete pain. Anyone have any experience replacing these?

Thanks!
Quote by ellisbodds
Alright, so I've not played my guitar in a while but recently got back into it. It's a Kramer Pacer Classic, about 3 years old, with a licensed Floyd Rose trem (not a "real" one) and I feel like it needs a bit of TLC.

Got a few questions about how best to approach things though.

1) I want to clean the fretboard, but it's going to be much easier to do it without any strings on. This seems to be a tricky topic to get an answer on: is it "safe" to take off all the strings from a FR guitar if you block it off from behind to stop it digging into the body? Block the trem off at the back, you can use almost anything as long as it is wide enough, flat enough and strong enough. You will not have any issues removing all the strings at this point.

2) I get an odd sort of chiming/ringing when I play certain frets, is this just an issue of the action being too low? It's not restricted to any one string or area of the fretboard. This could be an action or intonation issue, is the sound like a buzzing noise? If not it could be something like super dead strings, I would ignore this for now and come back to it once the guitar is all cleaned up and setup again.

3) The panel that covers the springs etc. on the back of the guitar is held in place by 6 screws that go straight into the wood, but after taking it off maybe half a dozen times, the holes that they go into are completely worn away so some of the screws barely stay in place. Any fixes? Get a piece of wood and some course sand paper, sand a bunch of wood powder off and mix it with some wood glue so you have a pasty wood/glue mixture and use it to plug up the holes, let dry and screw the plate back on. Pretty sure you can goto the hardware store and buy actual wood filler that would serve the same purpose.

4) Screws again! The ones that adjust the spring tension have completely mashed heads from where I stupidly used the wrong sized screwdriver at some point. You can barely adjust them at all which is a complete pain. Anyone have any experience replacing these? These are basic wood screws nothing fancy, you can change them one by one if you want and are careful about it, I wouldn't take them all out at once though, there is a lot of tension in those springs and it could be a pain to put back together. Take one out find out if it is 2 inches long or whatever and just pick up replacements.

Thanks!

Remember your Spring Tension must equal your String Tension for a properly setup Floyd.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
3) Yes. Stuck a few toothpick bits into the holes, add a bit of glue, then screw the screws back on.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by Linkerman
3) Yes. Stuck a few toothpick bits into the holes, add a bit of glue, then screw the screws back on.

ive used match sticks before too
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Another fix for stripped screw holes in wood is to get some of the finest steel wool you can find (ACE, Home Depot, etc.). Use a small, metal pick or scribe to force some into the hole. No messy glue.
Thanks for all the replies.

The sound that I get isn't a buzzing, it's sort of a ringing sound that I can't describe very well. I tried recording it, but it wasn't discernible when playing it back. Though ne14t, I'll take your advice and leave that until after I've got a new set of strings on there etc.

Though I'll need to sort out the spring-tightening screws before replacing the strings. Not sure if it would work to take out the screws one at a time since there's only two:

So I may have to:

• Block the trem
  • Detune and remove the strings
  • Remove the screws, check the size, go and buy some more (if there aren't any in the house)
  • Clean the fretboard
  • Put shiny new strings on

Unless you think I could try removing one screw first? Seems like it might all be pulled to one side and bend the remaining screw

I know that removing both screws will mean rebalancing everything after, and I know that's a pain, but if that's the only option then I don't mind doing it. After all, I should have my guitar back to new after all this (apart from the various small marks inflicted both by me and others )

As for the smaller screws, I think there may be some wood filler around the house somewhere, so that might be the best option. I'll have a look and see, if not then I have some other suggestions too!
I would take it out briefly just to measure it and then put it back in once it is measured, odds are it is a 2" maybe a 2-1/4" screw. The short amount of time that you will have one screw out will not be long enough to put undue stress on the other screw. No matter what you will have to set the FR up again, especially if you replace the screws. So grab a cup of a tea and turn on some good tunes, I freaking hate doing that myself, its easy it just takes forever! I always find blemishes on a guitar sexy, they add character and tell a story, it's just not the same when it is all shiny and pristine. As for the trem plate on the back, you don't have to cover it if you don't want to, it will not adversely affect the guitar.
2011 Gibson Honeyburst LP Trad. w/ SD Whole Lotta Humbuckers
2014 Gibson Ocean Water Standard Plus
Marshall Haze 15W Head/Cab
Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 5
Quote by ne14t
I would take it out briefly just to measure it and then put it back in once it is measured, odds are it is a 2" maybe a 2-1/4" screw. The short amount of time that you will have one screw out will not be long enough to put undue stress on the other screw. No matter what you will have to set the FR up again, especially if you replace the screws. So grab a cup of a tea and turn on some good tunes, I freaking hate doing that myself, its easy it just takes forever! I always find blemishes on a guitar sexy, they add character and tell a story, it's just not the same when it is all shiny and pristine. As for the trem plate on the back, you don't have to cover it if you don't want to, it will not adversely affect the guitar.

Alright, I think I'll try that as there should be some in my dad's box o' screws

And yeah, you're right, I somehow had it in my head that if I took out one screw at a time I wouldn't need to set it up again

I kind of like it both ways. If it's completely unmarked, then it usually looks awesome, if it's got a fair few dings all over then it looks like it's been well played, but mine's half way in between where you think it's perfect looking until you notice a little mark

We all know that it's how it plays and sounds that matters more though!

And you're right, I know, but I'd kinda like to cover it for some reason. I just chopped up some matchsticks and shoved them in which worked quite well. One thing I did notice was that this ringing that I keep hearing might actually be the springs! God knows how I fix it if it is...

First, though, replacing these two worn out screws.
Update:

1) Cleaning the fretboard: done! Just used a duster and elbow grease, it's come up quite nicely. Couldn't find any definite information as to what kinds of liquids can be used on maple fretboards.

2) Ringing sound: I think it might be the springs, so I may have to stuff a sock or some newspaper in there. Can't tell yet, though.

3) Panel on the back: well, it's more or less fixed, but I managed to take a bit of paint off from over-tightening them. Luckily it's not/barely visible with the panel on.

4) Spring-tightening screws: replaced. Think they'll be alright, though the thread doesn't go as far up as the old ones, so hopefully I don't need to tighten them that far.

BUT! I looked in a pack of strings that I thought was full and it turns out I'd used the high E, so I've ordered more (much cheaper online). Can't be bothered to balance the FR with 5 strings on as I'd then have to re-do it with them all on.

As soon as the new strings arrive I can get it all balanced properly and sort out the final issue, which is the annoying ringing sound.
Its pretty normal for the springs to ring. Unless you can hear the sound through the amp it shouldn't really be an issue.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
In the future with stripped screw heads, the easy caveman fix that I apply is to take a smaller, sharper phillips head and simply hammer it into the soft screw head, then turn. Barbaric, but it works.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by Kevin Saale
Its pretty normal for the springs to ring. Unless you can hear the sound through the amp it shouldn't really be an issue.

You can't hear it through the amp, but it's a bit annoying when playing at lower volumes which I often do. At least I'm pretty sure now that it's not to do with the guitar being poorly set up.
Quote by JustRooster
In the future with stripped screw heads, the easy caveman fix that I apply is to take a smaller, sharper phillips head and simply hammer it into the soft screw head, then turn. Barbaric, but it works.

Thanks, I'll bear it in mind. I'll also try not to strip the screw heads in the first place :p