Alright, so at the moment, I have five different software programs on my computer, those being:

-Audacity
-Reaper
-Sequel LE
-Waveform LE
-FL Studio 10

I assume LE means Light Edition, since they both came with my interface (Steinberg C1 I believe?).

I'm having issues. With Sequel, Reaper, and Waveform, I can't get any audio to show up on the tracks. I can't figure out FL Studio at all, but that might be because it's the demo version and/or me just being terribad at this. I'm having lag/skipping issues with audacity, although when it does decide to work, it works well.

Could this be an issue with the software itself, with the soundcard, or user error? I don't know what I could be doing wrong with Sequel and Waveform.

Also, what would you guys recommend out of the 5 for recording guitars? I also need the ability to drop any recording by an octave, as I don't have a bass guitar.

Cheers in advance
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Alright, so at the moment, I have five different software programs on my computer, those being:

-Audacity
-Reaper
-Sequel LE
-Waveform LE
-FL Studio 10

I assume LE means Light Edition, since they both came with my interface (Steinberg C1 I believe?).

I'm having issues. With Sequel, Reaper, and Waveform, I can't get any audio to show up on the tracks. I can't figure out FL Studio at all, but that might be because it's the demo version and/or me just being terribad at this. I'm having lag/skipping issues with audacity, although when it does decide to work, it works well.

Could this be an issue with the software itself, with the soundcard, or user error? I don't know what I could be doing wrong with Sequel and Waveform.

Also, what would you guys recommend out of the 5 for recording guitars? I also need the ability to drop any recording by an octave, as I don't have a bass guitar.

Cheers in advance

First, these are my thoughts on Audacity.
Pitch-shifting doesn't come from the DAW itself, but a plugin or editor. If you record the DI and add effects (distortion/cab simulation) in the DAW with plugins (there's a sticky about these), you can use an editor (like Audacity, or FL Studio's editor Edison) to pitch it, or you can probably find an effect that will do it in real time.
Reaper is generally recommended around here if you're starting out, because it's cheap, and most of the regulars here have experience with it.
No offense, but user error seems like the biggest possibility. Make sure your guitar/amp/whatever is hooked up, and you've told your DAW to record from the interface that it's hooked up to. Your interface should probably have come with a quick-start guide; that'll have a checklist for recording audio.
Quote by Shotgunmerc

The issue sound more like user error. I know for a fact that Reaper is easy to use (because I've used it, lol).

Reaper.

My advice on bass is get a robot. What I mean is, there are VSTi plugins (free ones) that essentially mimic a bass. It's probably best to use a MIDI controller to play all the notes and such. You'll have to do some googling to find a Bass VSTi.

I personally am teaching myself bass guitar (I bought a used one awhile back), in order to get my bass parts recorded.
It honestly might be user error but I'm also honestly not sure what I'm doing wrong

The issue with buying a MIDI Controller is that it costs money. I have to run as low budget as possible for now because I can't justify spending that much money on equipment; even the interface at $100 was rough. With audacity, I think the octave-dropped bass works fairly well but obviously it's not the long term answer.

https://soundcloud.com/davemw/untitled-groove-bass-master

Here's a short demo of what it sounds like once I'm through with it. Dynamics obviously need work as far as my playing goes, but I think tone/production wise it's not bad for what it is. What do you think?

And thanks for the insight, I'll definitely give reaper a closer look
Quote by Shotgunmerc
Dynamics obviously need work as far as my playing goes

No they don't; just use a crapload of compression.
You don't actually need a midi controller to use bass synths, you can just write out the basslines in the piano roll. A midi controller will just save time in data entry.
for writing out bass synths, you can either use the piano roll (like mentioned above) or write out your bassline in a program like guitar pro and export the midi. I tend to like writing using tuxguitar, so I end up just exporting my bass parts from there if I am not recording an actual bass. I don't like Reaper's piano roll, so I find that easier (though I did usually write things in the piano roll using FL). it depends on what you find easier.

if you are having that much trouble with so many programs, its easy to jump to the idea of driver/hardware issues. that would be consistent across all of them. the other is user error, which, since you are new, seems like a good first choice. I recommend looking up a couple youtube vids on whatever program you decide to use. you can almost always find something that will give you a step by step of the basics to get started. I would guess that you haven't armed the track for recording, but that's just a wild guess right now.