Hey, I've been out of the loop a bit recently (here at UG and recording in general) It's been some years since I was in the studio with any regularity so would fancy a bit of help!

I'm looking for a cheap/basic interface to record and playback (live) electric guitar (no mic needed). I don't even know if that's feasible without dealing with annoying latency issues? If I could record straight into your standard sequencers (protools, logic, cubase etc..) that would be ideal. It would need to be USB/Firewire as I'm using a Macbook.

Last I knew, Line6 were making 'Toneports' or something along those lines. There seems to be a multitude of variants now and not sure which is best for my needs, or if other brands are offering better products that I don't know of.

Anybody got recommendations?
Cheers!
We has a sticky.

You should look at it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Do you think it would be possible to use something like the Focusrite Scarlett and have it playback without obtrusive latency?
Quote by vitchb
Do you think it would be possible to use something like the Focusrite Scarlett and have it playback without obtrusive latency?

Yep. Do it all the time. I live process with Logic and or MAX/MSP my entire set.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Latency tends to be more to do with the computer than the interface these days.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Latency tends to be more to do with the computer than the interface these days.

Would this be to do with the computer's performance, ie. processing power.
Or more likely ports, ie. firewire over usb2/3?
A little of both. But even USB 1 is easily capable. It's more the CPU and RAM.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Apr 11, 2013,
Quote by ChemicalFire
A little of both. But even USB 1 is easily capable. It's more the CPU and RAM.

And the drivers. Definitely the drivers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Though I've never had an issue with focusrite drivers.

Quote by DisarmGoliath
Quote by ChemicalFire
Though I've never had an issue with focusrite drivers.

Nor have I. Focusrite's drivers are outstandingly good.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
No significant latency problem for me, using Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 with 4-5 year old laptop PC (not mac). Use it for electric guitar, bass guitar, synthesizer, external drum machine, and mic'd acoustic guitar.

I think you must want to use the computer / software in part for the effects / amp modeling type stuff, if you are concerned about live feed latency. At least, that was why I had that concern. I do think latency can creep up somewhat if you use certain effects, like I think autotune can be a resource-hog and might give you a latency issue, and maybe other effects (or too many effects all at once) could do the same.

Oh, I use mine with Reaper and I actually did have a latency problem when I first started, but a friend with more audio computer experience came by, changed a setting, and the latency was gone. So, you might need to do a bit of tweaking to get to low latency if you have an issue 'out of the box'.

Ken